Asian Egghead doing a Spring Roll in an African Bowl

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ExodusRider, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Saso

Saso Happily sporting the DRD4 gene Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying this RR, Moses! Your Morocco vids are wonderful - you capture it so well. Love your story about your new Hungarian/Romanian friends too - it's what traveling like this is all about (I have a similar story from down the road in Vama Veche).
    ExodusRider likes this.
  2. Vrode

Vrode Hangin' Out

Oddometer:
    You’re not reading too much into it. Your Mom was looking out for you as usual. Glad you found some much needed comfort on the road! Ride safe, have fun, be cool.
    ExodusRider likes this.
  3. AdamM001

AdamM001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Texas (by way of Norway and Nova Scotia, Canada)
    Yeah - I recently just watched him chiming in on review of the 790R in one of the KTM promotional vids. (I put down deposit months ago for the first 790R coming to one of the local Houston dealers). can’t wait for it!

Safe travels, brother!! You da man!!
    08StangGT_CS and ExodusRider like this.
  4. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Moses,

It takes two things to let these small wonders apear in ones life.

An option - and a brave person to make a choice.
    So if something wonderfull is about to happen you also have lo let it happen....
    ExodusRider likes this.
  5. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR man!
  6. Gone_Ridin

Gone_Ridin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You would have crossed the Transfagasan pass if you had gone south looking for Dracula's Castle. It's an amazing ride, not sure about the Castle because I avoid tourist traps and never bothered to stop either. But obviously avoiding it worked out for you! The Gorge is a beauty as well! There were only a few motels in the Gorge when I went through and it was late october so most were closed, might be the same situation this time of year. 20160914_152459.jpg 20160913_190251.jpg 20160914_151348.jpg
    Ride On!
    powderzone, ExodusRider and dano619 like this.
  7. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    That's too bad I missed that PASS, looks amazing.. the gorge was nice but way too short; a reason for next time!
  8. panFiluta

panFiluta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing to regret (though Transfagarasan is quite spectacular) as there will be couple meters of snow by now. It officialy opens on June 30 (though usually can be driven earlier in June).
    ExodusRider likes this.
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Parting is such sweet sorrow:
    Slept peacefully in that warm cozy home of their parents that have been in the family for over 50 years. Dad was a stone mason, back of house was workshop w/ stone slabs stacked all over. He passed 10 years back so they have been sitting there for over a decade. It's a tough line to follow when things are much cheaper now overseas..

I have invited Zoltan / Imola to visit Texas and going RVing with me/Kelly once they return next year to visit his mother Florida. They love camping / hiking national parks. Their kindness, genuine gentle mannerism and love of God is a simple delight. I hope to see my Hungarian friends again one day.
    20190403_120252.jpg

After a healthy breakfast and touching good-byes, off toward Balti, Moldova; A 5 hrs / 200 miles through scenic colorful valleys spotted with rustic villages and occasional modern mid-size towns.. passing through the Bicaz Gorge, a beautiful entrance but way too short.
    20190403_130125.jpg

20190403_130143.jpg

20190403_130150.jpg
    NaMi, NSFW, powderzone and 4 others like this.
  10. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    New friends abound:

A few shots of the Bicaz valley and villages:
    Bicaz2.jpg

Bicaz1.jpg

When traveling abroad, there is a universal language called Motocleta (initiated by a couple of hand gestures, leg kicks or head nods and finishing off with an engine rev). A fellow waves as I passed, stopped to chat w/ him, inquired about near by restaurant.

Razvan offers to take me there, we enjoy a nice meal / beer and talks about traveling; me mostly traveling... him mostly taking care of his 3-year girl / 5-year old boy.. lol. Good guys seem to be the theme while I traverse this lovely part of the country.

Bicaz3.jpg

He asked me about my travels and why I was passing through here; I said JUST BI-CAZ .... (crickets could be heard..)
    20190403_140241.jpg
  11. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I get to Moldova Border by 5:30.. exiting Romania was easy. He pretended to look in my panniers for cigarette boxes and alcohol, 2 minutes into.. Good bye, come back soon.. in a heavy accent.
    RomaniaExit.jpg
    Entering Moldova was a different matter.

Back when I did that big Marathon Run to North Korea, the title was folded /unfolded many times, eventually wearing out the first 2 characters of the VIN number on the title; to the point I had to trace them with pen so they could be read..
    ModolvaEntrance.jpg

Of course now Moldova border agent says it's not allowed; can't write on legal document like that.. of course she's right.. but I tried to explain first 8 digits of VIN same for all BMW motorcycles. She understood but still, the process etc.. calls manager down.. about an hour later, I finally get the okay. Manager calls my fellow adv rider contact in Kiev to explain why it might be troublesome in Ukraine as they are stricter about vehicle imports. All true.. any who.. he gives me the okay; I thank him w/ my bad Russian and into Moldova I go.. yeah.. Exchange rate is : 1 USD / 17 MDL Leu.. Gas is slowly getting cheaper.. creeping down to $4/ gal.

As I try to finish sneaking through the border, a couple of kids flag me down.. saying if I didn't bribe them, they would tell border agents I was smuggling contrabands.. we certainly don't want that!
    MoldovaKids.jpg

MoldvKids0.jpg
  12. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Welcome home!

I pass into Moldova, more of the signs start to look like Russian characters and more people understand my Russian. As if Mother Russia herself was beckoning me to "head East my child!". In some ways, it really is amazing that once I get to east side of Moldova / Ukraine that I am only a few hours from Russia.

Just saying Mother Russia seems such a remote land but here I am.. in a matter of 3 weeks, on my bike once again. My visa is still good, I could just take a quick dash across to fill up with Borscht; like if I was at home and wanted to skip over to Louisiana for some ole creo degood shay? How cool is that, I think!

I digress; I met a Moldovian at the border, he says to me "Welcome to my country! We love visitors.. but our roads don't.. please becareful of the potholes, etc".

I say, "my F800GS w/ upgraded suspensions will love your roads like I will love your food!"

My mantra when it comes to road? Like everything aspect of an epic journey. "It could be better, but it can always be worst!"

MoldovaRoad1.jpg

MoldovaRoad2.jpg

MoldovaRoad3.jpg

MoldovaRoad4.jpg
    NaMi, StinkyCheese, shuswap1 and 11 others like this.
  13. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Sneaky Pete!
    Given the difficulties encountered during the entrance attempt on Moldova, the steering committee has opted to cross into Ukraine by cover of night. As an unofficial so-called "subject matter expert", I have found it to be consistent that when crossing around 11:00pm - 1:00am, there seems to be a compromise between dotting their Ts/Is with fighting the midnight blues.

UkraineEntrance.png
    Therefore, said committee highly suggested we don't check into a hotel in Balti. Instead, we have a quick dinner at the local pizzeria where I have an amazing bowl of borsch @ 8:30pm and bust the move to Ukrainian border.
    MoldovaExit.jpg

We get there at 11:45pm and low/behold... "Come on in Mosey Wosey!! We been waiting for you.. come out of the cold and have some simagone (moon shine) and some fatty salted pork!"
    UkraineEntrance0.jpg

"Don't mind if I do!!!, comrade!!"
    UkraineEntrance.jpg

Privet, Ukriana!! Dobly Vecher...
    NaMi, StinkyCheese, shuswap1 and 15 others like this.
  14. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great part of the world, simple people a by-gone age, I miss that area, the people the heat attack in a bowl food.
  15. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report as always.Only saw you smile once though.Not against the rules to smile.Thanks for another wonderful report.
  16. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Lmao!!
    Im currently in the Eastern Block..
    A smile can get you killed around here !!
  17. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Quick update:
    Been a lazy pig, eating, sleeping, and riding around the city mainly..

Circle back to crossing Ukraine under cover of night. Crossing at midnight, I tried to find a hotel.. apparently only 3 or 4 hotel in entire small town. Went to 2 that were full, 2nd hotel called the last one.. room available with shared bathroom.. $18 usd

Went there with quite positiveness that they would take the last of Moldovian money.. of course they wont, back out 3 miles to find ATM for Ukranian money..

1 usd to 26.7 uah (Ukranian hyrnvian (sp)..

I cant find one and these two guys pull up in black suv at 12:30 laughing away like they been smoking weed. They spot my Texas license and in disbelief.. laughing and asking questions.. they say follow them to ATM and I get nervous..

I suppose they were watching my back as I pull money from ATM.. so sketchy man!! But they are so busy laughing, hard to be threatening.

They take me back to hotel and say they will be back in morning to take me to breakfast... who the hell are these guys?

Local welcoming committee??
    Look at this face and tell me if he is threatening..

20190404_082457.jpeg

Igor takes me to little neat eatery and we laugh the entire time.

20190404_081915.jpeg

20190404_081910.jpeg

20190404_081635.jpeg

I ask if he wanted to go to America one day, he says "of course but you need money"

I reply, " I mean when you do have money!" Which his response " well, if I had money, i wouldn't need to go to America, i can live like a king here!.

But also that if he did go, he wants to go to the Subway!.. the sandwich shop, not New York transit..

This 25yr kid had me laughing with his dry ukranian as of matter of fact sarcastic humor...
  19. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Kiev in a flash.
    It would take me 5hrs to get to Kiev from the border. I was suppose to meet, Kseniya, one of inmate EdgeOfTheWorld friend / contact for a late lunch.

20190407_125744.jpeg

By 2:00pm, Im having lunch at nice plush cafe.. a real fancy lunch of gourmet salad, duck leg, and dessert for about $20.. which is expensive for Ukranian but not bad for us really.

20190404_143514.jpeg

I say food is probably 35-45% cheaper here than the states.

I dont meet with Kseniya and Misha ( another Ukranian inmate - whos garage i will be leaving Amelia in) til 6 ish.

20190404_213522.jpeg (bad.photo)

We have a nice authentic Ukranian dinner @ fancy place: $40 dinner for 3.. not bad at all.

Neat tea cup with pointed bottom

20190404_212855.jpeg
    20190404_212900.jpeg

I have borscht and lamb shank.
    20190402_134037.jpeg 20190402_135257.jpeg 20190404_213232.jpeg
    Saso, edgeoftheworld, NSFW and 4 others like this.
  20. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Ride Along Sat.
    Spent day doing a ride long with Misha ( Ukranian for Mike) with his buddy Eugene1 and Eugene2 ( who hen ne , pronounced in Ukranian I think).

We did a good 5 hr ride, seeing the country side and surrounding small town. Its a very rich soil./ farming land..

Stopping for occasional photo ops and lunch.
    20190406_144110.jpeg
    20190406_144121.jpeg

I force them to let me pay for lunch since I had recently exchanged the last $200 euro of the $400 I pulled from Spain.. been burning a hole in my pocket..

Now i needed to use all this Ukranian money before Tuesday.

Lunch for 4 guys, including green borscht, salad, and pork chops.. tea.. $24.. nice.. 20190406_152327.jpeg 20190406_153912.jpeg 20190406_152334.jpeg