Asian Egghead doing a Spring Roll in an African Bowl

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ExodusRider, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Poor Kseniya
    She was suppose to meet for dinner after my ride, but in route.. she gets side swipe and bruised up.. back to the house to rest for her.

Catching up on work, then relax and have a fabulous sushi dinner. $35, a pretty steep dinner on their standards.

20190406_210526.jpeg
    20190406_211851.jpeg

Some butthole boxes me in when i get out of sushi restaurant. No choice but to go up and over.

20190406_220255.jpeg
    20190406_220315.jpeg

Next day, Kseniya feels better and we meet her Texan friend for lunch. Of all the places in the World, I meet Richard of North Dallas here on an IT integration project.

20190407_125731.jpeg
    Saso and mbanzi like this.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    The Broken Bone Brigade?

We then meet Misha and his biker gang by 2:00 at their clubhouse.

The club is called Joker's Jockies? But I think they should be called "The Broken Bone Brigade", as I see guys after guys coming in with leg and arm cast / slings.. too funny..

One of the guys says its been a wierd start to the riding season.

Oh, almost forgot.. i meet Eugene3 and Eugene4.. to the point I just called everyone Ugene, as common as Alexander in Russia it would seem.

20190407_134425.jpeg 20190407_134408.jpeg 20190407_134604.jpeg 20190407_142457.jpeg 20190407_142531.jpeg
    That's Eugene #2..
    Saso, NSFW, Blackfin31 and 10 others like this.
  3. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great catching up!
  4. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Homeward bound:

Like Simon / Garfunkel, Im homeward bound..

Some things about Kiev.

Dont try to sneak thru a multi-tool in your bag @ airport, you not that sneaky!

Uber is great here, about $5 to get around town. $15 for 20 mile / 30 min ride to Airport. Uber is big business and catching one is uber easy..

Creepy $15 night hostel w/ own room last two nights I was there. Shared bathrooms..

20190409_070622.jpeg
    20190409_070614.jpeg
    20190407_171904.jpeg
    20190407_181918.jpeg

At first glance seemed haunted, but turned out awesome..
    20190407_204126.jpeg
    20190407_204104.jpeg

I had splurged at $50/night resort 3 nites prior.. was time to get back to roots.

Had a last night dinner with Misha.
    20190408_223420.jpeg
    20190408_205851.jpeg
    20190408_210519.jpeg
    20190408_205859.jpeg

$40 dinner, 6 lamb chops, grilled veggies, his gourmet burger, mojitos, molten cake, coffee, tea.. in a fancy chop joint..not bad.. would have been close to $100 in states.
    horsti, Saso, NSFW and 5 others like this.
  5. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Ode to Amelia:

Good bye once again my sweet girl.
    The distance we have covered, oh what a tour.

The places we have been, the beautiful sights seen,
    The people we have met, and food; by the way, I hate beans..

Incredible is this world of ours, I am in your debt.
    For taking me so far so long, this IS as good as it gets.

Where to next, China, Africa, so many choices here.
    But fret not, same time and place soon in the land of Cremea.

Until we meet again for another time and place.
    Stay warm and dry, Amelia, soon we'll both be ready for the next radical race..

(Mic drops, crowd goes moderately wild...)

20190408_195421.jpeg 20190408_195413.jpeg
  6. Sibhod

Sibhod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the ride report, I enjoyed every page....
    ExodusRider likes this.
  7. Robthekiwi

Robthekiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another great read Moses, Thankyou!! You need to come down to New Zealand to ride some time in the future!! All the best.
  8. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Moses,

Thank you for hosting us on your tour. I enjoyed every update and was sneaking if you come my direction so I can offer you a rest, food and beer.

Well played - looking forward for the next stage
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I have been down in Auckland to bungee years ago.. gosh, New Zealand is such a wonderful beautiful place.. you can bet I will!!
  10. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Which part of the world are you in ?
  11. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just keep riding...and reporting...enjoyed it all!
  12. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Moses,

northern part of Germany - near Bremen. More a transit point than a real destination...
  13. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Ukraine to Istanbul- 2.5hrs,
    Istanbul to Houston -12hrs.

That's almost 15hrs wasted that I could have been riding across the Atlantic!

Anywho.. good to be home guys.
    Thank you all for keeping me company.
    Has been great having you along.

Movies to come..
  14. Bad bat

Bad bat n00b

Oddometer:
    I was very glad to meet you! Hope to see you next time!
    flei and edgeoftheworld like this.
  15. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome Kseniya!
  16. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    You were awesome; too bad you got hurt on bike but I look forward to meeting / riding with you again soon.
  17. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a fantastic ride report......from all the people you meet on your rides, I would say you "have never met a stranger!!" Thanks again, look forward to the next one!!
    ExodusRider likes this.
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    another awesome chapter on moses' journey. thank you M.

where did you store the bike prior and at the end of this trip? daily or monthly rate?
    ExodusRider likes this.
  19. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Profound Clown Moment #3:
    Your life is as simple (or complicated) as you chose it to be. The new American dream?

On Sunday night, I managed to find a great Georgian Restaurant by the hostel place I was staying. Perhaps 15 / 20 minutes walk in a neat shopping street area.
    Fantastic meal for about $30.

As I was walking back, I turned a corner and there was an ambulance parked on the curb w/ lights on. As I walked closer, I see an older heavy set woman (50-55 of age) on the ground being worked on by the paramedics.
    They had her top off but covered up; doing full chest compressions.

The lady with her was leaning against the cafe window outside, clearly shaken up and crying. I wanted to go up to her, ask if I could stand with her, comfort her somehow.
    In that horrible moment of life, there she stood, alone and emotionally lost.. but the language barrier was too great / too awkward, for me to do so. I stand there for a few moment; hopeful to see a glance of life return into that poor soul.. alas she was gone..

Handful of people standing around while others walk pass with solemn look on their faces. I start to think more deeply about life on the way back that evening.

I've spent the last 15 years of my life trying to be the next Google, working long hours and stressing over all sorts of things, wearing so many hats; missing plenty of birthdays, mother/father's day, etc.

I had lived in a 4000 sq feet custom home with a lake view, mostly by myself for 10 of those years; paying $10K in property tax annually. I had the idea of getting married, having kids one day in that house but never did. Parked in the garage were 3 BMW cars & 6 motorbikes.
    From the outside looking in, I was indeed a successful man by any account. But I was always working, never ever hardly left the country or seen much of the world; I wasn't truly happy.. and felt so unaccomplished, even then..

It took me losing my mother and part of the business to realize how important your health ( both physical and mental), family /friends can be; along with the general idea of being happy with what you have / who you are.
    I say to you, "on your death bed.. it won't matter what job you held, what profession you had, what awards you won".. what matters is did you have a good run, did you have a productive life filled with love, friends, family, great life experiences? When you pass on, your job, your position, your company, etc, will easily be replaced.

There hasn't been too many times in my life where I was able to say.. if I died tomorrow, can I say I am content on what I have accomplished /how I lived.

It wasn't until I started riding my motorcycle around the world did I realize how small/ fleeting my life is; so inconsequential.. yet how spectacular the world can be. If I died tomorrow, I can easily say now. "Thank you LORD for watching over me; for showing me the wonderful places and things we call "life". Thank you for all the wonderful family, friends, and strangers that I came/gone through my life, adding to the canvas of my story. I dare say if I only had 6 months to live, 5 months 29 days of those would be in the saddle of my motorbike seeing the beauty of the natural world.. and one day to say good bye to everyone. LOL.

Lately, I have been hearing alot about people with mental health issues, medical health issues, divorces, financial woes.. and I wonder if so many of these come from chasing that ole American Dream. We put such a big value on financial and material gains; it's incredible the amount of time we spend chasing that dream.. giving up time, energy, health, and some times life/limb to reach that pinnacle. Only to realize in our older age that we should down-size, that we really don't need "all that jazz". I suppose it's just another step / lesson / milestone in our lives. Well, I have been one of the lucky ones to realize a little sooner rather than later.... give me more time, more experiences, more life ; and less stuff.

Now don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Ferrari in the garage and a penthouse somewhere, I just won't sell my soul to the devil to obtain it anymore. The goal ?? Work less, travel more, and F!@#K that big house on the hill!!
    While I'll be the first to admit, I still have multiple motorbikes and love them all; I would rather live remotely in different beautiful places around the world in my RV than a fancy house in the big city.. now that, that is the NEW American DREAM!
  20. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I ultimately paid Fran $250 in total for keeping bike in his storage room for 15 months.
    He just so happened to have alot of free storage area in garage under his hotel.

Misha has a garage he pays monthly to keep his 2 motorbike and gear. He's not charging me but I'll be sure to pass along $250 to him as well when I return next year to ride Magadan, Russia.
    HiJincs, 907rdr, elron and 1 other person like this.