Asian Egghead doing a Spring Roll in an African Bowl

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ExodusRider, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Back to Tangier Instead.. Definitely a long Arabian Night!

I was getting a little exhausted / burnt out at this point, so decided not to head for Ouzould Falls as that would put me 4 hours west / south.. losing 8 hours both way. Instead, I decided to ride back to Tangier. Catch up on lost time since I really was supposed to be back in Spain by Saturday morning.

Had planned on checking into a hotel by 8:30. Found a cheap trucker stop for $15 /night @ 8:00pm but didn't want to stay there; was like a cheap sleazy oversized closet.. looked at the GPS and it tells me 3.5 hrs to Tangier, hmm. A voice pops into my head of a Hans/Frans skit.. U CON DU IT!! - flexing their muscles..

When I get an hour away, I can always just book a nice hotel for 2 nights and relax abit. Well that turned out to be a weird night for sure.. stay tuned.

Gonna hit the sack now; it's 12:30am. I'm spent riding off-road all day today on what was supposed to be a restful one in Tangier .. LOL :imaposer Night guys...
  2. Vrode

Vrode Testing...1..2...

Oddometer:
    My guess would be it's a tough place to find/get water.
  3. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love that you end posts on cliff hangers to build the suspense
  4. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Long Night Around:
    @8:00 pm after trying to find a decent hotel ( which is first night in a week where I've had trouble probably because I was in between towns). I decided to ride late into the night and be in Tangier by 12:00am ish. I would pull over @ 11 pm and book a room first; to get reservation in by midnight as Expedia app stops allowing same day reservations after 12am.

Where I was at, somewhere an hour north of Meknes, had roughly 200 miles / 400 km to go I believe. What I didn't realize was for the 1.5hrs /45 miles was nothing but 40-45 mph narrow single lane road. Every car I passed, I would have to slow down and get near the right edge.. which had a 2nd inch drop into the shoulder. That really slowed me down.

Then by mile 150, single road dropped into a dirt back country farm roads that then transitions into the woods / forest and more back country til the road seemingly ended. I had to pull over 3 times to double check the MapsMe again.. comparing to Google Maps. It's apparent that my shortest route from that region was small roads as no high way connected to it yet.

NightRide01.jpg

NightRiding02.jpg

It was abit scary I think riding in a foreign land in the back country roads not sure where the road is taking you. It was very dark at this point and you're just following the road turn by turn. Dogs, occasional cars, moped, and single bodies walking along the side of road reminds you "you're not alone" ..

I hit a dead end it seems and doubled check both maps. Decide then to pitch a tent and camp out for the night. It's probably 11:00pm by this time, started to get a little desperate.

Luckily, I got off bike and walked ahead abit and saw across the 6 ft wide creek was the continuation of the dirt road, so back on the bike and off we go.

NightRiding03.jpg

NightRiding04.jpg

I finally make it to Tangier @ 2:00am into Hotel Djenina for $35/night. Booked for 2 nights. Was just glad to be city. Hotel was on a slant hill ; paid $3 for covered parking across street and off to bed.

Had been riding from 10am til 2:00am so a good 16hr day.. sweet Jesus.. much deserved rest the next day..
    DC950, shuswap1, elron and 6 others like this.
  5. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Tangier is better than Casablanca:
    Turns out I really like Tangier more so than Casablanca. When I got off the ferry last Monday, I made beeline to Casablanca, and didn't see much of Tangier; I regret that now. It's a much smaller city, but so much cleaner, modern and picturesque. It's located on the coast as well but mountainous terrain. All the surrounding towns are on hill side overlooking the coast. It wasn't just flat like CB. I would compare it to LA versus San Francisco, Austin versus Houston.. Anyhow, I get up and grab quick breakfast and planned on taking the day just sight seeing / taking it easy..

Tamgier02.jpg Tangier01.jpg Tangier03.jpg Tangier04.jpg
    shuswap1, BillUA, elron and 4 others like this.
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Tangier Coast:

Tangier05.jpg Tangier06.jpg Tangier07.jpg Tangier08.jpg
  7. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Tangier Drone P1:

TangierDrone01.jpg TangierDrone04.jpg TangierDrone06.jpg TangierDrone07.jpg
    DC950, shuswap1, BillUA and 7 others like this.
  8. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Tangier Drone P2:
    TangierDrone05.jpg

TangierDrone06b.jpg

TangierDrone09.jpg

TangierDrone02.jpg
    DC950, shuswap1, elron and 3 others like this.
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Tangier Off-Roading:

TangierOffRoad01.jpg

TangierOffRoad02.jpg

TangierOffRoad3.jpg

TangierOffRoad04.jpg
  10. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    A RESTFUL DAY?

I meet a local farmer while taking pictures. He proceeds to tell me there's a dirty road down the cliff to the beach?NO WAY?? Awesome dude, let's roll!

TangierOffRode12.jpg

What he DIDN'T TELL ME was me that the last 1/3 of the decent goes to SHIT. No way I'm trying this!!

TangierOffRoad17.jpg
    I lay the bike down, rotate her around on the this incline after taking off the panniers and bags.. too late in the game for me to try this risky trail down.. guy was full of crap..

TangineOffRoade05.jpg

TangierOffRode08.jpg
    powderzone, shuswap1, BillUA and 5 others like this.
  11. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    How STEEP is too steep?
    This thing was a loaded gun; right rut filled with mid size rocks, left side off the cliff loaded with loose sand, gravel. HELL NO!! Call me caca de pollo today man. I told him I wanted to see the beach, not the bitch way down..
    20190324_165554.jpg

I don't know which is scarier?? LOOKING DOWN or LOOKING UP ????

TangierOffRoad16.jpg

I struggle to turn her around. Try lifting adventure bike up on an incline, then walk the 40lbs panniers 1/3 up the steep embankment, with breaks in-between because I'm old. I finally get her situated / leveled somewhat to put back all the boxes and gun her back up the hill.

Get her hung into a rut mid way up because of target fixation on the left ditch.. luckily didn't drop her. Partly because the front wheel is wedged straight up by a large boulder catching the left front caliper. SOOO lucky it didn't bust her open..

TangierOffRoad15a.jpg

TangierOffRode10b.jpg
    DC950, shuswap1, BillUA and 5 others like this.
  12. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Nicely recovered, thank the LORD!
    TangierOffRode010.jpg

20190324_163824.jpg

Enough off-roading for the day, I find an awesome hotel overlooking the beach / coast for dinner. Liked it some much, decided to switch hotel the 2nd night. First hotel was sooo cramped in highrise.
    This one was same price $35 but included breakfast, but also the restaurant was amazing.

Please come to the Hotel Tarifa 15 minutes north of Tangier along the coast. Tarifa is the name of the small town directly across the strait on the Spain side. It's said that the town was nearly destroyed by the Arabs during the Arabic / Spanish war some 700 years ago.

The room and accomodation was setup like an apartment than a hotel room; just last week, there was a party of 18 R1200GS riders from Poland coming through and made this hotel their homebase.. Nice setup. I would definitely recommend it for us who like to "rough it".

20190324_215830.jpg

20190325_083928.jpg
    DC950, shuswap1, BillUA and 5 others like this.
  13. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Hotel Tarifa photos:
    Best Beef Tangine I have ever had..
    20190324_182946.jpeg
    20190324_182943.jpeg
    20190324_182119.jpeg

Really a good bargain..
    20190324_220046.jpeg 20190325_083432.jpeg 20190325_083438.jpeg 20190325_083910.jpeg
  14. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Algeria is a no go:
    Looks like you need to get a $165 visa, takes about 10 days , need hotel confirmation, invitation letter, etc.. not to mention a carnet for motorbike.. not worth 3 days of riding thru.

New game plan I think. Luckily I missed the 11am ferry to Spain.

Found out by fellow Austrian KTM adv rider that GNV runs a ferry from here / Tangier to Genoa, Italy... south of Switzerland right next to Monaco, France.

Whhhhhattt is THAT!!

20190325_115542.jpeg

Yeap!! You saw it here first in the wild!!
    Ridden by an Austrian no less.. He and wife have been riding Morocco 2-up last 4 weeks on the new 2019 KTM 790 Adv-R.. exactly the next new bike and only KTM outside of the super duke 1290 that I ever considered buying..

According to him, he loves tbe hell out of suspension...hmmmm..

Dam this bike is tall!! He had it in the high seat configuration too.

No worries, my inseam will stretch / grow by time it hits the American market ! 20190325_115635.jpeg 20190325_115534.jpeg 20190325_115549.jpeg
    DC950, powderzone, shuswap1 and 6 others like this.
  15. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! You are a badass!
  16. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Tunisia for next time!

So there is a ferry from Italy to Tunisia. And Americans can visit visa free, no carnet for bike either. Super!

I met a Tunisian in Morocco, said it was a very easy beautiful country to travel, plus have a fellow adv inmate that has a friend there that invited me to visit.

I think i have just changed my plans again though. I need to be back in the states in 2 weeks..

Sooooo, GNV ferry leaves tonight @ 10:30pm, stops by Barcelona then departs to Genoa, Italy arriving there Thursday morning @ 9am.

I'm sharing a cabin with 3 hot beautiful adv female solo riders.. an Arabian, an Spaniard, and an Italian.

HEY, this is MY story!! Im writing how it should go...

Ticket includes $50 euro meal ticket.. me/ bike. . Shared room /board and meals.. e295 euro / $330.

Considering the toll, time, gas, hotel cost to ride from Algeciras to Genoa, Italy.. well worth the by-pass.. not to mention again the 3 super model cabin roomies!

So what is the game ??

Ultimately, I need to be in Germany to drop bike off and most likely fly home from Frankfurt..

I have this gruesome idea I will collect stampa from the countries I missed last time I was here.

Can I do 3000 miles in 2 weeks? Who knows..

Screenshot_20190325-173648_Maps.jpeg
    shuswap1, BillUA, Smidty and 2 others like this.
  17. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bringing me this far. Great report and adventure. I really like reading and seeing the interaction with the locals.
  18. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Bonus!!! Nice shades...
  19. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Funny you mentioned, I was eating by cafe and this vendor fella trying to hock shades and Hublot watch knock offs.. wanted 500 dhm / $50..

The watch was real nice and weighed, told him didnt need them..already have some.

"Okay okay" in broken english, "what u pay?"

I say 200 ($20) all I can afford.. he looks at the BMW bike and laughs sarcastically..

Oka oka..200, u hard u hard.

Ha.

So $20 for nice heavy watch and lacrosse shades..no complaints.

I actually like the watch and wont feel bad if lost / damaged..

20190324_220301.jpeg
  20. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    The Love Boat.
    You know how when you get to your seat on the airplane and the middle seat is empty.

You look at the person on the far end and give a little "sweetness" nod.

And each time a body walka by, you say a little pray.. please please not this row.. u less its a fine ass chick of course..

Well, me and this Italian fella going thru the same motion.. 4 peraon cabin but only 2 of us.

20 minutes to depart and our fingers are crossed.

20190325_221243.jpeg

Fold up the beds man!
    20190325_221654.jpeg
    1553550240156.jpeg
    20190325_221254.jpeg

Whats that in garage..
    20190325_220105.jpeg