Asian Egghead doing a Spring Roll in an African Bowl

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ExodusRider, Mar 14, 2019.

1. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Moses,

You meet a quite famous Europoean Rider - Jo Pichler. He traveld all the world in the last decades and is brand ambassador for the new KTM 790. http://www.josef-pichler.at/
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    How cool is that !
  3. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    A 3rd guy comes in, and now they are arguing in Italian about who is on top or bottom , too hilarious man!

I keep thinking about the "who's on first" bit...

Did them both a favor.. I upgraded to my own cabin for 82 euros more, the 3 nights I'm here. Worth every penny not dealing with their mess / drama. Should have done that from the start, but Im a cheap traveling bastard...

So much for the interesting sexy cabin mates. Was hoping to meet some interesting fellas and share stories about travel, but I guess this really aint the LOVE boat..lol.

But these are the stories that color our trips..
    Heh heh..
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they BOTH should have coughed up a few bucks to your upgrade so they suddenly both now have the bunk they want.
    edgeoftheworld and ExodusRider like this.
  5. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still following along to your great story, caca de pollo! :imaposer
  6. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great chain, look forward to each day.
  7. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    A Ferry Tale:

So the ship has 10 decks, and the higher you go, the sleazier the accommodations it seems. With Deck 9 is where the sleeper chairs are but apparently they over sell those spots because you have folks sleeping in hall ways..

20190326_100938.jpeg

If fact, I see folks in every corners, nooks, and cracks on all decks. Makes for interesting feel. Treating us like Rats and Captain Pipe Piper over there is just blowing away at his cigarette.

I figured the higher you go, the more plush and better the view..u know, penthouse cabin stuff...lol

Food is reasonable but the prices are terribly high, which we all expected i guess.

20190326_093311.jpeg
    20190326_201028.jpeg

First night was great cause needed to catch up on sleep. By end of 2nd day, starting to lose my mind being trapped on this ghost ship.

15 mins free wifi then you buy 100, 300 or 500mb blocks but the connection is terrible.

I pretty much tried to catch up on work amd make a movie or two.

We pulled into Barcelona late last night as the Arabs were blasting celebratory music like its their first successful crossing since Moses parted the Red Sea.. the other one..

Woke up this morning expecting to be at sea but we are still docked in Barcelona.

20190327_104619.jpeg 20190327_104608.jpeg 20190327_104542.jpeg

Of course, as I make up my mind to get off here and ride the rest of the way to Switzerland, they pull anchor. Bastards!!

Bon voyage. Here we go again..
    mbanzi, shuswap1, Smidty and 8 others like this.
  8. Navel

Navel Omphaloskeptical

Oddometer:
    You look serious with your TCB shades :bmwrider!!. Hope the rest of the seatrip goes smoothly aboard the Love boat
    ExodusRider likes this.
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    An Idiot Abroad /onBoard:

So last night, i visited the cafeteria (same place I went for breakfast) and just took what they had on the line... Lubys cafeteria style, but with plastic plates, bowls, and utensils..

Plus the look they give you like an assembly line, violated my sense of decency..

I spent the day being lazy but managed to get work done as well as 2 movies for Morocco.. i have a 3rd in the making. Will just need to add some Arabian music to them.

So to celebrate what a wonderful day, no way in hell was I going to repeat last night's plastic mayhem..

Not to mention, I snacked on turkey bolognese, cheese, and stale bread I bought along, for lunch today..

I made sure to explore the ship and found an Italian restaurant.

Tonight my friend?
    A romantic sunset..

20190327_185922.jpeg

A nice Reminder of Bike Night In the Spring!

20190327_181552.jpeg

And fine dining with me solomente!
    20190327_203403.jpeg
    20190327_203411.jpeg

Man,.that pasta calamari and clam/shrimp/mussels was soooo good.

And these with the salad me feel humanly appreciated again... anything less would be adventurously uncivilized!
    20190327_205726.jpeg
    DC950, mbanzi, shuswap1 and 9 others like this.
  10. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Movie Alert:
    I almost lost my left eye on the first day of Italian riding. Vision finally came back. I have made it to Innsbruck / Igls, Austria tonight. Will fill in the details tomorrow.

First Moroccan Movie being, rough cut / hard music choices too, be kind :p.

11. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Movie Alert:v Morocco Part 2.
    Geez there is so much great footage, that even just keeping to the highlights, I think it's going to filled up a 4 part / 10 minute series.

I finished these two while on the ferry.
    We're not evening talking detailed vlogging that I plan to do when I get home. But too much content is always better than not even I reckon.

Just wrapped up some work so gonna hit the sack. Enjoy and please comment/ feedback is encouraged for further improvements..
    BillUA, yamalama, DavidM1 and 7 others like this.
  12. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great footage , Moses.
  13. Slickrick

Slickrick Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Thanks. Keep it coming.
  14. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The drone footage and your interactions with the locals take your videos to the next level. Always a pleasure to follow along.
  15. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    A planned short day never pans out!

So crossed the Romanian border from Hungary at 10:30pm, and there is an hour difference change; an hour later.

30 miles from hotel in Timisoara on the highway, the chain breaks; Whips up and breaks the right signal light as well.

The chain cover is cracked and motor case is shreded at a bolt point..

No chain to be found on the freeway this late of night.

Stranded in Romania.. its 1:30am and Im scared of vampires.. too exhausted to fight them off.. gonna crash and deal with it tomorrow.

Stay tuned.
    BillUA, kumatae, mbanzi and 3 others like this.
  16. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You sure know how to have an adventure!
  17. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If we don't hear from you in 24 hours I am just going to assume you turned into a vampire.

Hope you get your issues taken care of.
  18. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lived in Romaina for 5 year and have it on good authority vampires enjoy the odd plump asian (And this guy cover both counts) so we may never hear from this guy again. On the plus side there are probably more BMW shops than any other brand in Romania.
  19. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Where Do I Begin ?
    Maybe from the start and stop where the bike did??

First, off the ferry in Genoa, Italy early Friday morn.
    Genoa1a.jpg

Got up at 5:00am, couldn't sleep anymore.. legs getting restless for some off-roading.

Packed up & waited at the door to unload by 6:30am; We didn't docked til 7:00 and was able to disembark come 8:00am. Had a great early start at least.
    Genoa1aa.jpg

Game plan today: Sprint out to Milan, grab a GoPro7Black, a 4 gig external USB drive, and 128 gig SD ram.. running out of room on laptop w/ footage.

As soon as got going, realized dam, it was still cold here. Genoa is a very kewl habor city; unlike most though, it's surrounded w/ mountains and valleys..
    Genoa1b.jpg
    Already it was hitting 44f degrees once I got top side... Sounds like we need some thermals as well.
    Genoa1c.jpg
    mbanzi and edgeoftheworld like this.
  20. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Get to Milan by 10:30, stopped by motorbike bike shop for some thermals.. $100 for top/bottom and balaclava. Stuff is abit thicker than the ones you get a Cycle Gear so they should be good for 40f+ riding. Not unreasonably priced..
    20190328_205410.jpg

Next stop, Electronic shop for Gopro7. Luckily they had e50 discount, so e379 works out to be a little over $400.. same as the US; no gain/loss there.

4gig USB 3.0 external Maxtor drive e149, 128 gig SD card e39, both only slightly more expensive but in the grand scheme of the cost to get you on the trip and the time it takes for the footage storage, it’s marginal, really.

Swiss1q.jpg
    Bee line to the Swiss Alps via the Como, Italy – Chiasso, Swiss entrance. Now an interesting note here for all advmotorbike travelers. There tends to be a big tariff / tax on highway usage when crossing these large EU countries when going through the main bloodline / highways.
    Italy-SwissAlps.png

When I traveled through Italy into France, there was a e30 tax, this time when I entered through the Swiss, the border agent waved me through, but my dumbass pulled over to inquire if I could get a Swiss stamp on the passport. Not only did she tell me I couldn’t but that I also needed to pay a e49 highway tax, she was passing out window stickers and collecting the money.

I had remembered last time I crossed Switzerland, I didn’t pay for that and the first agent who waved me through didn’t mention it either so realized it’s not a mandate. I told her nevermind, I’m going back to Italy.. especially if I’m not going to get a stamp on my passport.. the hell with that and busted a U turn.

You pay 3 or 4 of those things and you’re up to $200 bucks easy, and that could well be 5 nights of hotel stays. The EU countries and their borders are like Swiss cheese; holes everywhere; so if you pick a small town / crossing, less likely to run into that tariff bullshit. Obviously you won't get there any faster; in fact, it'll be much slower but also much sweet / scenic..

That’s exactly, what I did. Selected a random North Italian town by Swiss border off the main highway and made a nice day riding trip out of it.. so I thought.
    Italy-SwissAlpsByPass.png
    orv, BillUA, mbanzi and 4 others like this.