Asian Egghead doing a Spring Roll in an African Bowl

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ExodusRider, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    What a BEAUTIFUL one-eyed by-pass!!

So I decide to follow the river side from Como, Italy to MonteSpluga’s pass to Switzerland. Would be the best / worst decision ever!

Italy-SwissAlpsByPass2.png
    As I’m riding all these wonderful gorgeous twisties through these picturesque towns, chocked with blind corners with old ladies sneaking across the street.. I suddently lose my left eye sight.
    Como1.jpg

Maybe, not so suddenly. You know how when you making love to a woman but you finish before she does; she has this pissed off disposition??

Well, I’m riding and just “enjoying” myself, I see this black flower rotating and flying toward me.. mesmerizing and psychedelic.. magic fungus ?? and BAM, it’s two lesbian wasps doing the 69.

Just about when they reach climax, they crash straight into the side of my left helmet opening, ricochets off it and lands in the space between my left eye and the left lens of the sunglass. Trap in the personal ocular space, they go biserk!

Before I realize what the hell is going on and find a place to safely pull over, they let me know how mad their were about the untimely intimate break up. They both sting me right below the eye.
    Como2.jpg

So let me see, (or not let me see), the brother is just trying to take in the view not bothering anybody and you wanna put his eye out ?? Savages!

How do I know they were lesbians?? If they were male ones, their stingers would have put my eye out surely. Luckily, my anaphylactic reactions to ant and wasp bites have subsided over the years else I would look like Budha at this point.

This is my eye after getting back to hotel later that day.
    20190328_193938.jpg

The morale of this story ??? Don't be a peeping TOM!
    DC950, GF-kam, BillUA and 3 others like this.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Como4.jpg Como5.jpg Como7.jpg Como8.jpg Riding shots of the riverside ride:
    shuswap1, BillUA, mbanzi and 3 others like this.
  3. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    RiverSide Ride p2:
    Como10.jpg Como12.jpg Como13.jpg Como14.jpg
    NaMi, BillUA, mbanzi and 2 others like this.
  4. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Riverside Ride 3:
    Como15.jpg Como16.jpg Como17.jpg Como19.jpg
    NaMi, shuswap1, BillUA and 3 others like this.
  5. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Como Drone Shots:
    ComoDrone1.jpg ComoDrone2.jpg ComoDrone3.jpg Drone4.jpg
    DC950, NaMi, shuswap1 and 17 others like this.
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Living the dream..

So the DID chain just got delivered to Hotel by Toma, the taxi driver.. He drives me out 2.5 miles to the highway point where bike is, and surprise surprise.. bike is GONE.

A little investigation leads to the police picking up the bike in another town 15 miles away so now we gotta go sign for it..

Toma says shouldn't be too bad because it's broken down. We'll see...

Exchange rate is 4:1 Romanian Lei:usd $

And the adventure continues..
    orv, BillUA, mbanzi and 4 others like this.
  7. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    your persistence is admirable.
    as usual. : )
  8. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks my friend, though I wonder if I really have a choice about it. lol
    DC950 likes this.
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    A little update now that Im back st my $28 hotel in Sagu, Romania.
    All is well in the House of the Parting Red Sea.

This morning after breakfast, hotel owner called cabby, Toma for me. He would eventually be my Romanian Fixer..
    20190401_184622.jpg

Takes me to 2 motorbike places before I could find the right chain size. They said 520 is a more common size as most folks don't have bikes over 500c here. I needed 525 x 116 links.
    Othello said he can get 525 x 118 link D.I.D. chain for 600L (Romanian Lei) / $100 USD by 4:00pm so that's more than fair price for DID set.

Didn't speak much English but still very helpful in resolving my needs. Mulțumesc (mul tu mix - Thank you !) Othello .
    20190401_104409.jpg

Toma pays him since I didn't have the cash yet. We then head to Bank and get 1200 Lei / 300 USD, I buy him lunch and get dropped back off at hotel by 11:30am. Gives me time to catch up on some work and rest up.

By 5:00pm Toma comes by with DID chain and we head out to the highway 2.5 miles away. Of course, when I get there.. no Bikie.. Mikey no happie :(.

We head back to Sagu police station only to find out bike was picked up and brought to Pecica (P chic Ka) 15 miles away. Good lord, can the brother catch a break ?

20190401_172932.jpg

20190401_184346.jpg

So the police takes my passport / title / and driver license, says normally they would give me a $50 USD ticket for abandoning my vehicle on the freeway. Normally $100 USD for cars.. ack!

They proceed to tell me that next time, I need to call 112 for Emergency Road Side assistance. Unknown to me that 112 is universal for all of Europe and normally it's a free tow off the freeway to closest garage / hotel ( I guess)..

Anywho, they would only issue me warning this time.. the catch? I pay 600 L / $150 USD to the tow truck guys.. DAM IT!! Wasn't even a day on the road. I was a little upset about that but what you gonna doing ?? Consider it a fine for being a dumb ass!.

So when I picked up the bike from SPAIN, I had gotten that chain in Moscow and changed in Georgia. It wasn't a well known brand so figured i could get 7500 or so on it.

I rode it all the way to Spain so figured the ride to Spain through Morocco, Algerian, Italy to Greece wouldn't be but 2500 miles. It should last til then.

Needless to say the plans changed and the chain didn't . I did check it every 2 days but didn't realized it til yesterday mid-day that it had gotten loose where I could no longer tighten it , the tensions bolt were at the max adjustment level. Thought I could make it to Timisoara , the next big city and get new set in the morning. I was 28 miles away.. sooooo close!

15 minutes to put on the new DID chain, 30 minutes of waiting around for the police to finish their paper work and off I go back to hotel for a much deserved day of licking my wounds but also burying my head in the sand for being so careless.

In any case, very fortunate that nothing serious happened to me or bike because of this. Another blessing in disguise; a much needed down time as well since the last 3 days has been lightening fast crossings..
    DC950, powderzone, Saso and 8 others like this.
  10. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    What kind of damages to the bike ?

1) Broken right signal.
    2) Cracked chain guard case

3) shearing damages to bolts here / there
    4) Gear indicator doesn't show until I start rolling 5 mph or so.
    5) Some wire covering slightly worn down ?

All in all, bike still running fine; no leaks, no electric issues.

I have a replacement engine casing at home; will be a summer project one day to rebuild engine and put it into the new case.

Does anyone see anything else glaring I should be worried about?
    I'm due for new sprockets soon as well.

20190401_174252.jpg

20190401_174258.jpg

Those rear sprocket nuts looking kind of scary aye??

I've got about 1500 miles to go; gonna keep her at 60 mph max.

I'll drop by motorbike shop in big city tomorrow and see if I can grab some replacement bolts.

20190401_174308.jpg

20190401_174312.jpg
    GF-kam, mbanzi, BillUA and 1 other person like this.
  11. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Movie Alert: Moroccan Movie #3
    Not too many locals in this one as I was busy trying to "Climb Any Mountain!"

shuswap1, Saso and Trekking36 like this.
  12. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Cabanna Deltis @ Sagu, Romania:
    Just some photos for the $28 hotel I've been resting @ last 2 nights.
    They have been playing American club music / top 40s through out the day.
    Wifi is good and all/all, a relaxing / laid back place to recoup.. in small town away for hustle / bustle.
    20190401_094108.jpg 20190401_094518.jpg 20190401_194022.jpg 20190401_202427.jpg
    shuswap1, Saso, TropicalDale and 8 others like this.
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I suggest you needed this rest break. Good show.
    ExodusRider likes this.
  14. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Movie Alert:
    Last Moroccan Movie (Part 4). A bit long but w/ great off-roading footage, Enjoy.
    I think I'll do one of Italy, Swiss Alps, and Liechtenstein together.. great Over the Pass footage.
    Romania separately, and all the other countries in one; once I get state side that is..

15. Navel

Navel Omphaloskeptical

Oddometer:
    U-turns like that really make you hungry! :rofl
  16. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Lmao true that..
  17. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Profound Moment #1: No one will ever love you like your mother!

I'm currently staying in Gheorgheni, Romania at a perfect stranger's home.

I would like to share this personal story and see if you think I'm reading too much into this.

Gheorgheni.png
    I left at 9:00am from Sagu and fast-tracked it to Sibu for lunch by 12:30, nice lamb shank.
    Then onward toward Sighisoara, Dracula's hometown; by-passing a visit to Bran's Castle south of it (judging from photos, it looked like a tourist trap so didn't seem worth driving 2.5 hours south)

After a little sightseeing and cappuccino break, off again toward Bicaz Gorge; but by 5:30pm, I'm going over a mountain pass on the way. GPS shows that I would get to the Gorge by 7:45pm. GOD I hope there is hotel there or my ass will be a frozen carcass.

As I peak the pass at 6:00pm, Sun is slowly starting to set and the temperature has dropped down to 35F, my bike's temp gauge is blinking caution.. Extreme Cold Weather.

I keep saying I can make it all the way down without having to pull over to put on winter gloves, balaclava, pants. After the first 1/3 way down the pass, my fingers are throbbing.. I can do it.. I can do it. 1/2 down the mountain and I can no longer feel my face / fingers. I CAN'T DO IT. I CAN'T DO IT.

I gotta pull over. Here.. no.. there ..no. After passing 3 potential spots, I finally pull over no longer able to take the 30F temp with what I have on.

Not soon after I pull over to put on more gear, a car pulls in behind me. An older lady with her daughter comes out with empty plastic bottles to refill from the mountain spring water fall. I curiously watch what they are about to do. The driver sees my Texas plate and said "Are you really from TEXAS"? with his slight Romania accent. I say "Sure AM, long ways from home aye"..

His wife sticks her head out and claims, "OMG, no way"! What I hear though is a perfect American accent. Had to do a double take when she spoke. Turns out they are both Hungarians. She lived in the states since 88 and moved back 1.5 years ago. He had been living in States for 5 years. They are now missionaries at local non-profit organization.

We talk about my trip and where I've been. I asked if they were just out hiking for the day. I mentioned I was heading to Bicaz Gorge and if there would be a hotel near there. They proceed to tell me it's getting late and cold, not to ride anymore. "Why don't you come back to our place to warm up, have dinner, and start up tomorrow."

I say OH HELL FREAKING YEAH, I'm missing me some home cooking!! Well, I was saying that in my head; What I really said was "How kind of you, I would love the company! Been on the road too long alone"..

As I followed their car down the pass, at one point I started to think how, if I had stopped at any of the last 3 stops, I would have missed a chance to talk / meet Zoltan/Imola. That mom must have wanted to me to wait til I got to that specific spot to pull over, where the watering hole was. Just as that thought came, I realized today is Mom's anniversary of her passing (April 2nd).

I look up and thanked her / God and somehow, right then/there the rest of the sun rays were hitting and we had gotten low enough out of the pass that the temperature went back up to a cozy 48F. Not sure how cozy 48f can be or if the heat came within, but it felt oddly like a big "Welcome Home" hug from your mother after a long trip.. that kind of warming embrace.

I don't know what else to call that, but a blessing!

Zoltan.jpg

Giving thanks for a lovely meal, cozy place to sleep, and my wonderful new Hungarian / Romanian family.
    Zoltan2.jpg

My cozy bed, beats a hotel anyday!
    20190402_235036[1].jpg
    DC950, NaMi, shuswap1 and 16 others like this.
  18. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed you in NM, we will cross paths soon. Let me know if you need any contacts if you make it to Bucharest.
    Awesome rr as always hermano!!
    ExodusRider likes this.
  19. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    No problem hermano, always tomorrow. Hope daughter feeling better now.

Not to worry, bought some land near ABQ, so will be seeing alot of me..
    Romero likes this.
  20. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:

Thank you!
    Noonie said thank you for asking! She's in the BMW trunk!
    Your ride reports rock! Having a Romanian fixer.....priceless!

Oh yes, some trouble to be had in NM!