Asian on XRV,18mths,67000km and 36countries

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by singaporedream, Jun 30, 2009.

1. singaporedream

singaporedream Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear fellow riders,

i am new in ADVriders.

My wife and I, from Singapore, started in 1st Jan 2008, traveled through Malaysia, Thailand, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Valtican, Slovenia, Austria, Czech republic, Germany, Swizeland, France. sailing 30days to Argentina via Morocco, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Brazil. Wheels on again at Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico and now we are in USA!

I would loved to share the asian point of view with you guys and i have alot of GPS waypoints and tracks from what i had been traveled through, to share with you.

feel free to view my blog at http://singaporedream-rtw.blogspot.com

we are also looking for people to join my group, the entry requirement is that you have lost your RTW bike before going for your RTW.

happy trails!

goh mia chun
  2. supercub

supercub ass-less chaps rule!

Oddometer:
    I'am in - cant wait for the pic's. ride safe.
  3. singaporedream

Oddometer:
    im trying to find ways to decrease the size of my photos first to upload to this forum. give me some time or u can browse my blog.

goh
  4. singaporedream

Oddometer:
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a great adventure and blog!! thanks for the link.. lots of pics and videos :thumb

Posting pics to your thread here will attract more readers and followers.
  6. mikeb.

mikeb. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I am in Katy, west of Houston, if you'all need like tools or space to work on your bike or anything in the Asian community just holla at us, we're from Vietnam. Maybe my wife can help your wife with girly stuff. And welcome to Texas.
    Mike
  7. pinglow

pinglow Adventurer wannabe!

Oddometer:
    Hi Goh, read your blog sometime back in 08 when u were at Iran/Pakistan...

My...my..my... U are living your DREAM!!:clap Wonder when i will be living mine...

RIDE SAFE! - from fellow lion-citizen
  8. singaporedream

Oddometer:
    hi Pinklow: thanks mann... usa is kind of a culture shock to me. how can i upload pics to this place? my files its kind of big.
  9. singaporedream

Oddometer:
    hi there! Houston was big and hot! we visited the cafe singapore.... wao, we really missed home food.

we took the katy highway to austin, our current location now.

thanks for your invitation. we will come back in houston maybe coming winter. btw, i rented my room to a vietnamese couple back in singapore....i didnt got a chance to try their cooking....
  10. candohome

candohome Notta Poser

Oddometer:
    I found photobucket to be the easiest url photo hosting service for linking to ADV.
  11. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    Hello Goh and Mia:

Was a pleasure meeting you at the HU meeting when you came through Chiang Mai . Glad to see that the trip that started with a bit of a low point ( theft of your AT) has turned out so well. Look forward to meeting you somewhere in Asia upon your return. Hope you enjoy America, am sure you will. If you are still in Austin, be sure to head out for an afternoon at the Barton Springs. Cheers , Robert
  12. dpouwel

dpouwel Petualang

Oddometer:
    hey singaporedream i love your blog:clap

there's also indonesians taking round the world alone for peace campaign, and i guess hi is in US now and he took different direction than you-from north to south america

say hello if you see indonesian's flag on BMW GS 1200:lol3
  13. singaporedream

Oddometer:
    Hi Robert! greAT to see u here! did u see any similar AT in thailand? i saw one, that is from south africa, that looked very similar to my bike. not saying that he bought a stolen bike but....

austin is great. keeping austin wierd is the motto here.

will check out at barton spring. have a happy 4th of july!

goh
  14. singaporedream

Oddometer:
    hi Dpouwel: i would like to meet this guy! riding for peace campaign? cool! does he have a website? i would really want to know fellow asian on how they coping up with RTWs.

goh
  15. singaporedream

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] downtown Austin.

[​IMG]
    Heather and her 2 lovely dogs.

[​IMG]
    and the cat that thought he looked like a dog. I guess this cat has never knew how a cat looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bats and bats.
    [​IMG] Hope Too's kidney.

[​IMG]
    The liver.

[​IMG]
    the clothings.

[​IMG]
    Hope Too in sick bay.

[​IMG]
    Making a heart pacer.

[​IMG]
    He is now camera shy.

[​IMG] In the surgery room.

[​IMG]
    The 65kg.

The 65kg.

What a week! we left Dave's house on 1st July 2009, Houston towards Austin. A big thanks to Dave, also fellow traveler that had ended his latin america trip few months ago and went back home getting ready for his next big trip.

Dave also brought us to Billy and Anna's house for BBQ where they showed us their rifle and pistol. It seems that anyone could buy guns for self protection. If everyone was not allowed to buy guns, then there isn't a need to do a self protection because nobody has gun. Else, those that needed self protection should buy a bullet proof vest and wear it like they carried guns. I just don't understand.

Houston Motorcycle Exchange was a crap. For those living in Houston, please go to Houston Motorcycle Exchange and tell Tommy that he is the best salesman ever lived. He is suffering from the economy crisis. He is desprate to get money. He does not get into the point. He is a shit. He is just a businessman, not a motorcycle person that will help anyone with motorcycle mechnical problems. His latino mechnic is also not very honest. When the bill came, i was curious why did they charged me for some work that the mechnic did not do. If i wasn't sitting in his workshop watching what he does...... the bill will be on and on. usually these guys won't allow customer to be in the workshop because the shop does not insure customer when there is any accident in the workshop.

people around would say, 'this is america, we trust them. just leave the bike there and you can come back in X hours, ready to collect.'
    THIS DOES NOT APPLIES TO HOUSTON MOTORCYCLE EXCHANGE.

[​IMG]
    So Dave recommanded us to go to Austin, for Gary and Heather for mechnical help.

[​IMG]

Samantha and Dave

[​IMG]
    Goh and Dave. guess who is younger?

[​IMG]
    Goh and Indy (Dave's dog)

[​IMG]we were certainly impress with the roads in Texas.

Austin

[​IMG]
    Gary, Heather and Samantha at Austin's touristic attraction. every evening, many people would get a seat in this park to watch millions and millions of bats flying out of the bridge. The design of this bridge accidently became a good nesting place for bats.

[​IMG]we had 4th of July, USA independence day, playing fireworks. Gary and Heather brought us to downtown to watch movie 'Hangover'. the cinema was very different from singapore. ​

[​IMG]
    Hope Too is naked, not Goh. This is Gary's workshop.

[​IMG]

What happened to Hope Too?

1) the engine was burning too much engine oil. I have to topped up about 2-3 liters of engine oil every 5000km where Hope Too is only crusing at 80km/hr, maximum.

what we did: took out tank and carbs. Gary taught me how to do valve clearance adjustment. I learned a new skill!

2) Handlebar was shakey.

3) The gears were very hard to engage.

4) Bike will creep when stationary on 1st gear.

What we did: Gary change fork oil for me. drained coolent a few times with distilled water and refilled with proper coolent. drained all brake fluid and topped up. grease and clean steering wheel bearing. adjusted my clutch.

What i did: i took out both wheels, clean every parts, change the bearings for front tires, grease and put back. took out swingarm and had a good cleaning for it. I cleaned it like my own rifle. grease pivots and put back. clean brake pistons.

so after 3 days staying in the workshop, We finally got the bike back in a piece and went for test ride. i was so happy.

but the results was not good. The clutch was not doing any better. we did a compression ratio check and the valve clearance didn't seems to help. we had Hope Too admited again, into Ward A, Bed 1.

this time Gary took out the clutch suspecting that the clutch disc/plates were worn out. Nah, it was perfect. what could be the problem? when we were about to put the clutch plates/disc back, we saw a missing washer. i had a complete workshop manual for my bike and in that manual there is a washer. i check with Chan from M-technik in singapore and he has investigated into this many times before me and he is sure that there isnt any washer in that place. it is a printing error. so what could be the problem of the clutch? we still don't know!

Next, we decided to drop the engine. today while Gary went to work, i removed every parts that was needed to drop the engine. when Gary came back, we took the 65kg engine out of the frame, took out the valves and piston to check. well, the Piston rings were worn out. the valve is not doing good. cylinder sized needs to be 'widen' or re-bore. there were also some seals that we need to replace. Piston seems ok.

so, now we have to wait for parts to arrive and do the big overhale to Hope Too.

BTW, we didnt have the chance to visit the NASA musuem in Houston.

2) Automobile association of singapore confiscated my S$10000.00 of bankers garentee without contacting me. i hope i trust them. thro the phone conversation with AAS, they say they will take the $10k from my bank until i have sent the carnet de passage back in their hands, then they have to make sure that i did not make any traffic offences in the countries i visited with the carnet, THEN, they will return the money to me. they also mention that i have to get my bike back in singapore now. i told them the bike is in malaysia and i am in usa. they also ask me how i get thro all these countries without a carnet de passage. hahahaha, i dont want to tell them how! they also warn me that when i return to singapore, the custom of singapore may not let me come back with the bike.

'er...how could that be? i paid my roadtax.the bike is a singapore bike.' i told myself.

i called HSBC also, direct to the person in charge of this case:

Me: 'hi, is this edmond?'

edmond:' missster goh izzit? oh..'

Me: 'i want to check with you regarding the banker's garentee because i heard from my sister that AAS wants to claim that amount from us.'

edmond: ' ah? you better check with AAS first ah? bye.' (spoke with a warning tone)

HSBC got to upgrade their service standard. i put S$10000 with them for a garentee, paid S$214 for a lawyer (their lawyer) fee for this garentee. paid 1% charges per month to HSBC to let me keep the money with them and now i kind of getting a warning from them. bad bad service. to add this on, i applied for internet banking on december 2006 and until now there is no news about it. i sent in the application form up straight to the counter girl in HSBC. bad bad.

now i am in big shit. what shall i do? the bike mechnical problems, the $10k (if AAS are honest enough)
  16. singaporedream

Oddometer:
    Sunday, December 28, 2008

GOING NORTH!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] the night view in Ushuaia, with the antatica on the backdrop.

[​IMG] when we were entering Bolivia in August this year, we are so far from Ushuaia.

[​IMG] Finally, the end of the world. end of Ruta 3.

[​IMG] here we are.

[​IMG] Riding on sunset to the end of the world with friends.

[​IMG] Our Christmas Party!

Ushuaia. End of the world

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the ferry to Tierra de Fuego, land of fire.

[​IMG]
    what animal is that?

At El Calafate, the success of entering the Glacier park, free by passing thro the guard office before 730am, we had a saving of 40pesos per person. there were not much tourist around so we were free to roam around and take good pictures and had a picnic while listening and watching to the falling of ice bergs. as usual, we met some Chinese nationality and were very amused about our trip. we were just like celebrities to them. I over heard someone asked them if we are celebrities or someone famous because they were flashing their camera at us and Hope Too, surrounding us and questioning us. we were so shy.
    after the horizonsunlimited meeting at Viedma earlier this month, we split our ways but everyone was going to the south. we met almost everyone on the next town or two then we were on our own. we met Sunny, the biker from Turkey at Los Antigous. we met Miriam at Rio Gallegos. the most intresting one was Daniele, the Italian. Daniele and I had never met before. He had been following our blog in Italy since july this year. he was working then and at the same time preparing for his bike trip. I had cleared his few queries that he gave me. Daniele knew everything about us from the blog. so at the argentina border, he came to me, shake hands and introduce himself as Daniele, the one that was following our blog. its kind of weird but happy to meet someone, like a penpal.
    at Rio grande, we met up again with Thomas, Andrea, Oliver and Silkia. we were so happy to be together and hugged each other tight.
    [​IMG]
    I made a promise to Paul and Sylvia, the german couple traveling with us on Grimaldi, to meet them in Ushuaia on Xmas. yes, they gave us their GPS position and we had to find them. my GPS map doesn’t work in this most southern part of the world, luckily, I had some basic navigation sense. [​IMG][​IMG]

Saturday, December 20, 2008

first singaporean on the moon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we parted with Thomas and friends. they taugh us to bush camp alot! thanks alot!
    we were on our way to Ushuaia for Xmas. tough road. some days we travel 400km for 10hours on soft gravel and had to fight with the strong side wind. whats the wind speed??

well... if u are riding at 100km/hr and you put your hand out, you will feel the push of the wind. this push is NOT stronger than the Patagonia wind we suffer.

[​IMG]
    we are riding on straight roads with the bike tilted 30 degress. then our neck had to push against the wind. its so tired! further more, its dirt and gravel road. thanks to the Enduro 3, 50/50 tires we installed on Hope Too, the gravel travel is so fun!

[​IMG]

the stretch of ruta 40 is gravel! it connects argentina from the north to the south. this road is not a planned road. it is a road where people walked, traveled and form traces and it expended into a road. it is more than 5000km.

we detoured into ruta 41. a recommanded route by Miguel. it was dirt road but paradise! i guess not much biker take this route.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    shall we go or u-turn??

[​IMG]
    having much fun on the gravel road and the Euduro 3 tires gave me much confident, we could get Hope Too to fly on the Ruta 40. we were saved from falling on ruta 40 when we hit sand and lose gravels. thanks to the new tires.

till we reached asphalted road in a town, we saw a petrol kiosk. i made a left turn in and we hit big stones laid on... the stones are too big for the Enduro 3 to grip on and we fell on the right side, again. nothing much damaged except the rice packet on the front was broken.

Riding the Ruta is empty. lifeless. gravels and strong wind. there is no trees.

i say again THERE IS NO TREES! i guess no trees can survive this strong wind 365.25day a year.
    it feels like we are on the moon. no life... until we saw rabbits, wild horses, a tall bird that run very fast and some other vehicles.

Amstrong would understand what i say. this long part of Patagonia is like moon except there is light and we can breath.

[​IMG]

we caught some crabs on the beach. this was our lunch. 1st time we had crabs after we left singapore and it was free!

[​IMG]

this penguin and his home reminded me of the game at the Arcade center were we put in a token, the plastic penguin would jump out of the hole and we had to hit it with a mallet.

[​IMG]

so.. were do we put the batteries in?

[​IMG]
    one of our best camp site!

[​IMG]

this couple from south africa had this bike. it looked 80% similar to my lost Hope.

[​IMG]
  17. singaporedream

Oddometer:
  18. singaporedream

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    17 Feb 2008, we reached Pushkar, the holy village of Rajastan. we met intresting traveller along the way and watch the sunrise together. this is a vegetarian village. no meat. no alcholo. guess what, i found a beer shop just outside this holy village just less than 1km away. in 3pm, the locals are already drunk there!
    [​IMG] this teaman sell tea on his mobile shop. when he is on move, he would put the pedestal and the whole tray on the head, making the overall height of 4 meters.[​IMG] so near only? along highway 8, this is a very unique road marker promoting the village of Deogarh.

N 25deg 33.105'

E073deg52.790'

19 Feb 2008, the place where octopussy was filmed. Udaipur. we had a romantic sunset boat ride in the lake.
    [​IMG]City Palace nearing sunset.
    [​IMG]This is where the Maharaja lived.
    [​IMG]along the boat ride in the evening, before sun totally sets and the moon rises above the City Palace.
    [​IMG]the famous lake palace hotel at night
    [​IMG]at the guest house , the entance to the parking lot fits exactly Hope Too's side panniers.

[​IMG]along someway to Jodhpur, we got off track from the main highway and it rewarded us with very intresting road. Discovery!

21 Feb 2008. Johdpur was named the blue city. it's amazing fort has convinced us for a really worth of a visit! it has a audio tour guide. it's one of the finest fort that we have ever visited.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    with us was the owner of the guest house, sunrise guest house. great parking. good people. nice room. worth the $$$! call mr prakash or mr anil at 09828272031 or email" anilsunriseguesthouse@yahoo.com

[​IMG]this magic carpet, at Jalsalmer. should we buy one back for uncle dickk?[​IMG][​IMG]along the way to Jalsalmer. desert highway.
  19. singaporedream

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]camel riding can be tiring [​IMG]can you see my location?[​IMG]mr amar and his assistance prepared our dinner. fire was started by the dry twigs collected easily by the nearby bushes. dishwasing liquid is not popular in the desert survival, instead, sand is used to clean the utensis and then rinsed with a bit of water.
    h

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

india pics

[​IMG] at last.

[​IMG] this is to the birth place of the buddha at Nepal

we are now at Jaipur, Rajastan state. lots of camels and the people are less of a hassel.

[​IMG]
  20. singaporedream

Oddometer:
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008

[​IMG]
    KKH - Gilgit

N 35deg 55.372'
    E074deg 18.851'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    WE LOVE PAKISTAN!

Thursday, March 6, 2008

sucide bomb at Lahore.
    [​IMG]

Sunday, March 2, 2008

amritsar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

touched by them.[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

not forgetting how india gain it's independance, many innercent people were killed in this garden by the british. we watched the show 'Ghandi' and understood more about the effort put into independance. we really hope that the faith of india will carry on, as 50 years back, how they gain independance and carry on.[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]