Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last

Oddometer:
    pilbara,,,
    don't tell me you nevere ever got a www hat with all the wheels you bought???:huh:eek1:cry
    :ear
    woody

if not,,then we'll correct that situation pronto:deal
  2. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    Nope, no www cap here. Maybe you could send with the motard wheels:evil:deal

Cheers
    Pilbara

3. milosbgd

milosbgd X

Oddometer:
    I bought fro BMW, its cheep
    Thanks
  4. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    <table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td>see how easy it is Kelvin??? you just have to let me know what ya need and ,,,ZOOOOOM ther ya have it,,now the fit on it is a bit iffy,,we have fitted ones as well as adjustable ones,,what's your preference???
    holler
    woody

[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Desktop</td></tr></tbody></table>
  5. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody,
    I have an XR650L and need the wheels trued, superlaced, "made round," and can you install new wheel bearings? Can you give me a ball park cost. Going to send one wheel at a time starting with the front. I have removed brake disks and sprocket, wheel strip and tire.
  6. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    ok,,,here's some ball park prices

R&R bearings =$30-40/wheel

superlace n true =$111/wheel
    ss n ss heavy duty spoke kits =$100/125 front/ rear

rims if necessary $180-210 silver excels

straightening your old rims circa $30-100 ea

:deal
    woody
  7. angrywhiteguy

angrywhiteguy i wanna ride!

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get 18/21 combo of the strongest rims you have superlaced to the stock hub and the wheel bearing dealt with. Dont want too narrow on the front as i do about 50/50 on road and rough offroad. I'd like black rims...please let me know what this will cost me.
  8. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:

hi just under a grand with one year warranty free t- shirt or www cap included:deal

:1drink
    woody

could be closer to $900 i just did some quick figures in what's left of my head:wink:
  9. angrywhiteguy

Oddometer:
    sounds good.....question: If i have 11000 miles on the bike without bearing problems, am i OK? Are all of the hubs bad or just some. I've got a fair amount of offroad and a ton of wet weather riding on these wheels.
  10. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:

hi,AWG...
    my take is that there was a bad batch of possibly circa 100 or so hubs that wound up in the system,,most were evident in 2008 and earlier plus a sprinkling of em in 2009 model year based on the feedback from folks reporting in...

what i've also learned is that the problem on the disc side has been alleviated with a bore machined to the oem specs...:clap HOWEVER,,the sprocket side is still undersized by circa .0005''-.001'':eek1:huh',,,,FYI correct spec is .001'' smaller than the 47mm bore....hence like all the previous failed hubs you are bound IMHO to experience premature bearing failures on this side from now on ,,only later...:eek1...and of course we still end up repairing the undersized bore...

FYI most disc side bearings went south within 3-8000miles i'd bet the sprocket side bearings will fail prior to 15- 20,000 miles

sorry,,that's just the way it is
    woody
  11. angrywhiteguy

Oddometer:
    tks for the info....you'll be seeing my wheels this winter. What is the best way to ship as far as packaging goes? Shoudl i call or email before i send them re instructions.
  12. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    just follow the instructions on the back of my website listed below..:deal

thanks
    woody
  13. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Following the rules is exactly what I didn't do. Hopefully they have gotten my wheel by now though.
  14. angrywhiteguy

Oddometer:
    Do i need to break down the wheels prior to shipping? by that i mean do i have to dismount the tires, take off the brake rotors and sprocket?
  15. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    hi,,it all depends on what you want me to check,,,when someone sends in the complete wheel sprockets n all we;; we give you an honest analysis of what's up,,,we check all your bearings and of course with the F800GSs we are on the look-out for bearing /undersized bore issues...

soooooo,send in what ya want,,,folks send in their stuff in every configuration,,,,BWOE,,some don't want to mess with a tire change ,, so they have us do everything they want to the wheel and have us mount n balance the tires of their choice,,,,,ie: total turn key set-up,,,just unpack and install on their bikes...and on and on....

holler
    and we'll take care of you per your instructions:deal

woody

ps,,,if you wan ttires or a rim swap,,let us know ahead of time so we can save and/or order what ya need so it'll be here when your wheel arrives,,,saves alot of turn around time
  16. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Changed my tire this weekend and found this 'repair report' on the inside rim: :D

[​IMG]

The numbers don't look spectacular, but I can tell you my wheel was majorly out of true in two directions: it's perfect now.
  17. Bullskin

Bullskin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a rear wheel question for a 990 Adventure. I have a stock rear 4.25 wheel running a 150/70/18 Scorpion for on road and also a Woodys 3.5 wheel running a 140/80/18 Dunlop 908 for offroad. My only complaint about the 3.5 wheel with the 140 tire is that is noticably taller than my road setup, which leaves me reaching for the ground a lot more and also makes a noticable change in the overall gearing. I am planning on trying a K60 on my 3.5 rim next and these come in 150 or 140 width. I am wondering if the 150 would work ok on the 3.5 rim and be shorter overall, or if by pinching in the sidewalls more, it would actually make the tire taller. What is the best way to go here for the sake of my short legs and not having a big gearing difference when I swap between my wheel sets?
  18. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Bullskin,,,

FYI if ya do the math you'll find that 80% of 140=112mm ie 112mm tall
    versus 70% of 150= 105mm tall,,,,hence your tire is 7mm taller than the oem,,,

Rx= install your oem tire size,,it will give you your oem gearing too:clap
    another possibility is 130/80 which =80% of 130= 104mm pretty darn close to your oem tire:deal

hope that helps
    woody
  19. angrywhiteguy

Oddometer:
    Looking at the wheels you hav built, i dont see the excel markings on the front rims....only the rear. Is there a reason? Also, i got a quote to build wheels with my stock hubs....can you give me anything off for the stock rims?
  20. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    hi angrywhiteguy,,,

FYI,,,premanufactured rims from Excel all come with their logos silk-screened or painted on the side of the rims,,,,when we build wheels in sizes other than what excel puts on the market we have to start with blank/undrilled silver rims ,,then chemically strip the ols anodizing off and re anodize with the color you want,,,hence no label,,we do have some decals for them circa $15/2ea

Pssssst,,,,with a lil luck we may have a surprise for you shortly,,,,we ordered up a bunch of pre-anodized black rims from the factory..they'll come with logos:clap,,they''ll cost more than the silver version but way less than the $75 ea for satin or $100 for polished/shiny black ones...not to mention saving a week or more for delivery/build time:freaky

woody