Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Toying with putting a 21" rim/tire on the front of my 2016 GSA. I would want it tubeless and I would want it as wide as possible. The skinny 21" I've seen on other 1200s don't do it for me. Is this possible?
  2. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woody, I have a 04 GSA REAR wheel that was ran over. The hoop is strait but it has some broken spokes. Do you sell separate complete spoke kits ? I plan on replacing all of the spokes. It's a spare wheel set.
  3. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed American Anti-FAscist born and raised. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Circling Sagittarius A* in spaceship Baltimore
    Edit......Thanks, found my answer.
  4. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I need a cush drive rear hub/wheel for my KTM 500xcw '13.
    I would really like to keep the wheels weight as low as possible !
    So I'd like to find an option to the KTM cush hub/carrier used on the 690 and 990.
    I see Radmfg in out of business so what can you build up.
    I'd prefer not to go the superlace route either.
    The lighter the better.
    Generally I'd just call you guys but I think more folks here have similar needs.

Thanks, Max
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  5. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a set of Woody's Wheels for my HP2. They have black hubs,super laced, and gold Excel rims. Are these an old set up or do you still make this version? Haven't had a chance to mount them yet but they will go on this weekend. They are beautiful and it's easy to see why Woody's wheels have such a good reputation. I will test them out myself real soon.
  6. Perkio

Perkio Just "Perk" Please.

Oddometer:
    Woody,
    I have a 13 Camhead GSA Adv. with Spokes.
    I picked up a set of cast wheels for a second set that are very close to right but the rotor to rotor spread is off 3.5mm (too narrow) on the front rim.
    There is no ABS ring on the front and I was told that they were from a non-abs bike likely around or before 07.

The calipers are rubbing on the rotors during test fitting, It looks like the rotors could be spaced out with some precision spacers behind the rotor unless you can think of or remember anything else that I should do.
    Perk
  7. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    F800GS. Hard hit this morning - big boulder in road coming round corner. Unable to miss. Airborn but controlled landing.

Slight deformation of the side rim and some some flattening of the inner rim at site of impact. No cracks or visible stress lines. No leak or apparent malformation of the tire itself. Rode the bike 20 miles home without issue. There is a noticeable imbalance now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this repairable? And what's an estimated cost?

I'm on Oahu and we have lots of hard lava and falling rocks like I encountered today --- will probably have a hard strike again sometime sooner rather than later and would try to fix this in my front yard with a hydraulic press but don't have a covered work area and don't trust my limited lacing skills. Also don't have a clue as to who I'd use to do the repair work locally in the islands.

Any thoughts area appreciated.
  8. SteadyStare

SteadyStare Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Flashback: I recently sold my F800GS and I can tell you those wheels are soft as butter. They probably can be repaired but it will happen again. The good news is because you have a tube in there or should hold air just fine. I'm not a wheel builder buy any stretch of the imagination but I can tell you that the metal in the rims will be "work hardened" if you have them hammered back into place and will become brittle. Woody may be able to fix them but I would recommend getting a new rim that can stand up to the abuse.

The second problem is the suspension on the 800 is not very good for any real off-road so your rims are soaking up the bumps the forks should have. Unfortunately it's a closed cartridge so unless you throw more money down and buy a new cartridge with propper valving not much can be done besides heavier fork oil and springs.

Hope that sheds some light on the issue. Ultimately the soft wheels and inadequate suspension is why I upgrade to a KTM 1190R last year. After doing the math for all the upgrades you basically can buy the KTM instead.
  9. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taking into account shipping the wheel to him and shipping it back along with the cost of repair, just having him send an A60 laced to a new hub might make sense. The Excell A60 will take a LOT more abuse than the stock rim.
  10. ducmons

ducmons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll soon be a Woody's customer after my wheels have taken a beating. I can't sacrifice on-road handling. I still cruise a 500miles to get to new places to spend 7 days off-road. While more work off-road, I'll probably stick with my stock sizes.
    Has anyone had their hubs anodized orange? I have an olive green gsa, thinking orange or doing blue. They're custom, so why not make them stand out.
  11. Whip

Whip Onward through the fog

Oddometer:
    Can Woody still get the Aprilia/BMW tubeless 19/17 rims that I can put on my KTM 1290 R?
  12. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I have a Husky 701 enduro and wanted to get a set of sumo wheels for it. I am leaning toward 19/17 as I want to keep the more "dirt bike" turn-in characteristics. Who has done this? Any suggestions on rim widths?
    TIA
  13. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello all. With Woody having been out for a couple of surgeries (and let's face it, he deserves some time off), this thread has been severely neglected. We sincerely apologize about the lack of communication on our end. If we miss anyone, Please write us again:

@alongat If you haven't been helped already on this end, YES we can help you with everything that you need. For the heavier gauge spokes, you may need to drill out your hub. However, I would try to fit them in it before you do that. In keeping with the stock rim sizes, you will have the best options with the Excel rims (Stock is a 1.85" front and 2.50" rear. If you go slightly narrower in the front, you can run the Excel A60 which is only available in the 1.60" width)

@Endorphin The strongest you can get in the sizes needed to go tubeless are the Excel Takasagos (Note, for those that don't know, the after-market Takasagos are not made of the same material as the ones that come stock on some dirt bikes. The aftermarket rims are stronger). For the Excels, the narrowest that we can seal to be tubeless are the 2.50" widths. The A60s do not come that wide unfortunately, and do not have safety beads.

@Britome The only way to go tubeless on the 21" front is to lace the stock rim from the R100GS to your stock GS hub. The widest this rim comes is a 1.85" width. Besides that, going wider does not help with your off road handling, so it is best to stick with the narrower rim.

@thirsty 1 We do sell spoke kits for these. HOwever, if you have never tried to true one of these X-laced wheels before, then we highly recommend that you send in the wheel to be re-spoked. These wheels are not the same as your standard center laced wheels, and one little tweak too much, and it will throw the entire wheel out of whack (Ever wondered why BMW never trained their techs to work on these wheels? Because they would probably lose out on $$ between training and paying them to repair them, rather than selling you a knew wheel).

@JaxObsessed Sorry we missed your question

@MAXVERT Still interested in that wheel? I have a few Rad cush hubs laying around that we can use, or we can source other hubs as well. Let me know.

@oldfool I can still source gold Excels in certain sizes. I can double check if they are still available if you still are interested?

@Perkio Do you have photos of these wheels that you bought? I do know that some of the stock '05 R12GS front hubs have issues fitting on later models. I also have a used set of stockers on hand and can measure those if you can give me your measurements to compare. Let me know.

@Flashback We can fix most anything. That being said, if you are going to invest in the wheel, and want to keep the motorcycle around for a while longer, then we recommend upgrading (As @SteadyStare and @Drunk_Uncle mentioned). To repair this wheel, you are probably looking at between $120 and $140, and there is a very likely chance that we won't be able to get it 100% perfect.

@SteadyStare we've found that the 1190 wheels are super soft as well. How are they holding up for you?

@ducmons Hope to do business with you soon (if we haven't already :-))

@Whip The Aprilia rims have been found to be more of a headache than they are worth if you plan to ride anything but well maintained pavement. If you go off road, they are no recommended. These are not soft, like most of the stock rims out there, but are extremely hard and near impossible to repair if something does happen to them. That being said, these are not compatible with the KTM 1190/1290s. The 990s are Euro lace patterns that match the Capo rims. The 1190s and 1290s are now Jap lace patterns.

@SoilSampleDave We have done for the 690E, but not yet for the Husky. It is popular for those that really like to hit the canyons hard and yet still be capable on fire roads, etc. Email us for a quote if you are interested.

Whew,,, If I missed anyone, let me know!!

Rachelle
    dooby and MtnRider like this.
  14. leolou

leolou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Rachelle I don't have questions but that really good answers !nice reading you.
    Hope Woody will be better.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    woody's wheel works likes this.
  15. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    G'day. Hope Woody is recovering well.
    I'm considering scrambler-ising my '15 DR650. I'd like to convert my 21" front to a 19 using an Excel silver 19x2.15 rim. Do you guys use OEM or similar hubs, or would I need to freight my own hub over? Can see the benefit of having a complete second wheel rather than modifying mine.
    Cheers.
  16. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    He seems to be healing well. Enough to get him to his next surgery anyway :doh. We can use other hubs to build. We can source a generic billet hub and build the wheel, or I can check on the availability of a new Suzuki hub (they show they are still available, but the info online often isn't accurate). To build with a new Excel, heavy duty stainless spokes/nipples and Superlaced with the billet hub, you are looking at $670. To build to a new Suzuki hub, you are looking at $680. We can use a standard guage spoke and do a "standard" lace pattern. This will save you about $35 on the wheel.

Because these 19x2.15" rims are pre-punched for the wider rear hubs, we have to use a custom drilled rim, which makes it a bit more expensive than normal. We have found that angling the spoke holes back to suit the narrower hub on these pre-drilled rims usually takes away too much material, weakening the rim and leading it to cracking later down the road.

Rachelle
  17. Vargubau

Vargubau Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are my options for the New Honda Africa Twin front tubeless?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
  18. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, we don't have a good option available at this time that allows the 21" front to retain the tubeless capability. If you do ride, or plan to ride off road, then we recommend sticking with a tube anyway (at least in the front). The tube helps protect the rim better, and there have been several riders with tubeless wheels that have become stranded because something catastrophic happened to their rim and they weren't carrying a tube as a back up (the KTM 1190s are notorious for that since the stock rims are so soft and susceptible to damage).

The only way to make the 21" wheels tubeless is to use the 21x2.15" Sun rim. This rim is non-dimpled, so does not have as much meat around the nipple holes as the dimpled rims do. Because of this, we do not warranty any sort of longevity on the rim itself. We can build it around your stock hub or a new billet hub from either Haan or Talon.

For dual sport riding, we typically recommend going to the 1.85" width though, because it fits that 90/90 tire better, which in turn protects the rim better.

Otherwise, we can build a 19/17" set, which is better suited for paved roads and canyon carving. All-in-all it depends on your riding style and what you plan to do with the bike in the long run.

Rachelle
  19. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    On another note, I did hear a rumor that Excel is looking into making a 21" rim with the safety bead. I imagine it will still be a few years before it is ready for the market though.
    eddyturn likes this.
  20. Vargubau

Vargubau Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank You for taking time to answer.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk