Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. GettinDirty83

GettinDirty83 Dirt Trail Hero

Oddometer:
    Scenerio 1:
    Any chance you know a manufacture that makes rims with the European pattern? I'm having the absolute hardest time finding a rim for my 2004 KTM 950 Adventure, I just spent 4 hours all over the internet. Every single rim I look at is Japanese pattern. How can no one make a European pattern rim? I bent the hell out of my front rim and I can't find a replacement anywhere. I'm not interested in repairing the wheel as it's clearly too soft to begin with.

Scenerio 2:
    What would it take to lace my stock hub up to an easily available Japanese pattern wheel?

20170623_143108.jpg
  2. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    GettinDirty83 likes this.
  3. GettinDirty83

Oddometer:
    Apparently the Excel Takasago Rim I need is #IDK431. It's a 21" X 1.85" 36 Holes in Black with the European Drilled Pattern. Can you confirm it's the right drill pattern and if so can you gotta get that rim and also if so, what's the price?
  4. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK Rachelle. You the new Chris for me. I have other Woody rims for my 800GS that I will be selling and now interested in rims for my new 1200 GSW Rallye. Staying with 19 front and 17 in the back. I know you do them a bit narrower which would be OK I guess. Black rims with black hubs and super duper lacing. I will use them for the off road parts and then use the stocker spoked wheels for something more tame with more pavement thrown in. How soon can I get me some. cbbob@me.com Bob Brunton
  5. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woody has these in stock. Just ordered one from them.
    Give 'em a call.
    dooby and GettinDirty83 like this.
  6. acid_toXin

acid_toXin n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, I've bought an used SM wheels, blue anodized Excel rims (3.5x17 & 5.0x16) with gold Talon hubs (no. 5429 on front, 5430 on back hub) - there is no TW# number on hubs but they look like original Talons and have stickers. I would like to aply them to my DR-Z400E 2006. I would like to buy inside sleeves. How to identify them?

Some photos:

http://imgur.com/a/AH6zo

http://imgur.com/CMwNUgA

http://imgur.com/0As3Cdo
  7. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Yes, the IDK431 is the correct Euro drill pattern for that bike and you can use the OEM spokes and nipples. We have it in stock, cost for one is $249.

Rachelle is correct that it's better if rim drilled and countersunk, but can do without if unable.

Contact us if you need one.

Thanks,
    Chris
  8. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Would not be able to tell you if these fit the DRZ from these photos, the TW # is essential. It should be stamped on the vertical surface behind the rotor on front & sprocket mount on the rear.

seen here on sprocket side, but probably on the next surface:

[​IMG]

Dubya USA is the Talon distributor in the US, they can tell you if the hubs can be used on that bike, or reply with it and we can find out for you.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Chris
  9. GettinDirty83

Oddometer:
    No offense but Summit Racing had them for $201 with free shipping. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EXR-IDK431
  10. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but you don't see them in here responding to your question. Maybe woody's considers it a form of advertising but at some point you have to decide that the small price increase to buy from a shop that does stuff like this is worth it. Whether that's at $50 or 50 cents I leave up to you.

E: nothing against summit racing either, they just happen to be who you linked to.
    dooby, BIG-E, Vargubau and 1 other person like this.
  11. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Apologies for the long winded nature of the below(feel free to skip if just looking for some wheel info). Thought important to reply and give a larger perspective of the matter. Certainly a larger debate that is going on and has been going on for long time, being sped up by the internet of things.

Yes, this is the modern day conundrum that small businesses have and the different business models that exist. As a small business, we have to have a certain amount of margin in order to exist and cannot offer large discounts and free shipping because we would actually lose money by doing so and cannot make up for it with larger volume of sales like the bigger companies do. In addition we choose to adhere to the policy set forth by the manufacturer, Excel, in this case because a) we agreed to it. b) we do not want to decrease the value of their product in the market place because we do not want others to decrease the value of the products we manufacture. c) we do not want rims and wheels to go the way of tires, where price gets driven down to 5-10% margins as the lil' guy cannot exist with these margins.

That being said, the Amazon's of the world who are based in large part on price and volume, are not going away, we recognize that, know that we will lose some sales to them and have to stay ahead of them by providing the next great thing quicker, greater knowledge of our specialized market, and person-to-person customer service. We'll continue to work to do so, if we don't please feel free to contact us directly.

In part, one reason why I delayed in replying and confirming that this rim fit that model bike is because I knew once I confirmed fitment, the first thing people would do is try to find a place where they can get for cheaper price. But not sharing would go against the principles and place on this forum, to educate people and answer their questions truthfully.

People can purchase from whomever they choose and we appreciate saving some $$$ wherever one can. We'll strive to provide the value and quality of service that warrants the price you pay from us and provide options to save some $$$ wherever we can.

On a side note, I tried to go to that link provided to Summit Racing and it said that "there is no page that matches..."
    I'm guessing once Summit realized it was on their website and people were purchasing, they removed it because they did not actually have in stock. In general, that rim is still a very specialized rim that most any other company does not stock, ADV rims are not nearly as available as the dirt bike size rims, so be careful if a company says they have a particular rim, as even though a certain part # is used, it may not actually be that part when you receive.

As always, we are so grateful to be a part of such an amazing community of people and look forward to providing information, products, and services for years to come.

Thanks,
    Chris
  12. GettinDirty83

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, for specialized work, I would definitely use you guys, fortunately my dad had a hardcore dirt rider friend that offered to last up my wheel for free, otherwise I would have gone with you guys, because most people charge more than that to lace up.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  13. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody. I have a 1993 BMW R100R that would be fun on VT back roads with TKC 80s. If the front wheel is re-laced to a 19"dia. cross spoke rim, would the 100/90 or 110/80 clear the fork brace?
  14. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amen Chris. I also work for a small business and fully understand where you are coming from.
    dooby likes this.
  15. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a wheel that Woody built for "Flash" in 2007. Awesome Wheel!!

[​IMG]

Now I need one for me new 2015 KTM 1190r. I sent an email from the website.

Thank you Woody!! And Chris!!
    keepshoveling likes this.
  16. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you got taken care of and grateful you reached out to us. Let us know if you need anything or have any wheel questions in the future.

Thanks,
    Chris
  17. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    We have mounted a 19" x-lace rim to the R100R hub, but we did not modify the brace/fork in house. I found this article from a customer with a good breakdown on what needs to be done to the brace and fender to accommodate: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?53022-19-quot-Front-Wheel-on-93-R100R

Appears that the fork & brace do need to be modified to fit the 19" front.

Thanks,
    Chris
  18. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words & pic. We look forward to building the next one.

Thanks,
    Chris
  19. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Chris! Order incoming...
  20. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chris, Thank you for the Link!