1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. peter100gs

peter100gs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A shout to Woodys; they rebuilt both wheels off my R100GS, new rim for the front, powder coat, and stainless spokes. Two years latter, they work and look great...money well spent.
  2. HunSolo

HunSolo Mad Monk Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody/Chris,

A few days ago I mounted a beautiful 19"/17" set of your superlaced wheels on my HP2e. You built them for me two years ago, but I've been sticking with my 21"/18" dirt set until now. The bike lives in Europe and we only meet up once or twice a year.

I am concerned about the spacer width behind the front brake disc. I have the 6mm plastic spacers, but it looks like I need 4mm or perhaps 3mm spacers to free the caliper body and allow it to float. I can do a field bodge and get back to touring Scotland, but I'd appreciate your professional take on the matter.

I've got your wheels on all my bikes. They're the only thing I've used for years. The difference in handling with your ridged hoops still astonishes me.

Thanks
  3. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Woody's for sponsoring the GS Giants at the Snake River Ramble!
    woody's wheel works likes this.
  4. GazGaz

GazGaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody,

Sent you email regarding 21" on oem hub for xt1200z. Unfortunately it is too costly to buy and import to south Africa. I would gladly appreciate it if you could help me in sourcing a 21" x 1.85" wm 32H rim so i can do the conversion here locally. The excel distributors can't supply me with one or import it!!!! Help needed thanks
  5. gearhead1961

gearhead1961 n00b

Oddometer:
    As a pup, I had a series of 2 stroke Kawasakis and in a fit of nostalgia I have torn into restoring a 1977 KD175. The bike needs new rims and locating a suitable aluminum 21X1.60 front wheel has not been an issue but it appears that most manufacturers have discontinued the 18X1.85 for the rear. Can I use an 18X2.15 instead?
  6. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay on getting back to many of you. As some of you know, Woody has been dealing with some health issues as of late, and we are trying to keep track of these as best as we can. Unfortunately, it hasn't been working out for us as good as it could be. We are best reached by emailing us at info@woodyswheelworks.com or calling us at 303-936-0232.

@HunSolo Have you found anything out with these wheels? I will have our tech look into this if there is something different that needs to be done.

@GazGaz Do you still want a quote on the rim? Please email me with your shipping address, and I will get that over.

@gearhead1961 We can still get Excels in the 1.85" width. We have a source that will ship these to us undrilled, so that we can drill to your specific hub. These are available in silver, black, or gold. Email me with specifics of what you want, and we can go over that together.

Best regards

Rachelle
    Fitz57 likes this.
  7. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that.
    Woody, I hope you get well soon, very soon. We NEED you now and for a very very long time again !
    Just think about how many guys you helped.....(so many I'm dizzy;)), that many that owe you the smile on our face when riding our bikes ;)
    Stay strong, stay well, Mate !
    dooby and jgreer like this.
  8. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    To everyone who has been involved with Woody and Woody's, we want to say a big THANK YOU!!

Through the years, there has been a huge amount information shared and expanded upon. We want to centralize on some of the most important and relevant topics (wheel related) that either you or ourselves have gone over and put them in an easier spot to reference. What are some of the better bits of wisdom that have helped you with your wheel projects?
    dooby, Djunta and DistortedAxis like this.
  9. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Rachelle :wave

Just wanted to say "howdy" as I saw where you were on here.

Hope you're having a great Fall.

Rob from Steamboat Springs
  10. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big up for Woody who has built some fine wheels for me over the years. Thank you for your expertise and conscientious attention to detail.
  11. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:

Thanks Rob!! I hope that you are having a great fall as well :). How is it up in Steamboat? It's pretty chilly here in Denver today :vardy
  12. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was 17 degrees this morning ........... trash day so had to roll the cans out! Brrrr..........

Good thing I'm built like a Walrus. :lol3
  13. Djunta

Djunta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Axiom, post #21:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...building-gs-wheels.70578/page-2#post-26318908

( My understanding and conclusion, post #46:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/09-gsa-damaged-wheel-spokes.1120777/page-3#post-28614291 )

Bruderherz, THANK YOU, you opened me a door to a new life .
  14. 40cu.in.of.furey

40cu.in.of.furey Something clever

Oddometer:
    I have a DR350SE rear wheel with the cush drive hub that I interchange on my DR650. I would like to go with a wider rim I believe stock width is 2.10. What rim do I need to look for to be able to go wider in 18", I haven't been able to find any specs on the internet or Microfische that gives how many hole rim Suzuki uses. Do you have a good source to find this information or have this on hand?

Thanks,
    Ben
  15. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Ben -

Thanks for the inquiry. Some facts, there are 36 holes on that wheel. Stock rim is 2.15" wide. Next size up would be 2.50", after that would be 2.75", 3.00" & 3.50". Truth is there is no "rim" drilled and direct fit for those spokes and nipples as that cush hub requires some custom drilling as most aftermarket rims in that size are drilled for non-cush rear dirtbike hubs. If use without drilling, spokes/nipples will likely bind. Also, you will most likely need custom length spokes made because the 2.5" and wider rims typically have a larger drop center than the 2.15". Thus you typically need shorter spokes. There may be some DID rims in 2.5" wide that have very similar, but they are rare in the US or may have a Euro lace pattern and you will need a Japanese lace pattern for that hub.

We have 18x2.5" and wider rims in stock with Japanese lace pattern, may have some good used as well. Contact us via PM or email: info@woodyswheelworks.com and we can come up with some options and happy to tell you if something you find out there can be made to work.

Thanks,
    Chris

16. 40cu.in.of.furey

40cu.in.of.furey Something clever

Oddometer:
    Wow
    Thanks for all that great info I had no idea the cush drive was such a difficult rim to customize I may just have to run a narrower tire in the rear at least it would be cheaper I guess. It would be nicer to have a bigger foot print in the dirt though.:hmmmmm

17. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi there.

I'm currently trying to sort a set of motard wheels for my 08 450 exc. I currently have a ktm 640 cush hub on the rear which I plan to rebuild on a 17x5.00 rim. I'm getting a little lost in regards to the indexing. From what I can gather its euro spec. However when I fitted it to my bike (in reverse as the disc/sprocket are opposite) I fitted up the OEM rim as it was black. I didn't from memory have any issues fitting that rim in regards to binding etc with the spokes.

KTM obviously fitted this hub to the rally bikes and other motards. If I'm trying to sort a rim then will I have to get a custom one drilled or is there a OEM one thats available that would work? People seem to have run into a problem ordering aftermarket rims and the indexing being wrong.
  18. moulin6801

moulin6801 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F800 GS 21' front wheel done by Woody for sale! Tubeless and superlaced !! Wheel just back from woody's to be set true before I put on sale.
    in great condition, minor signs of wear...
    PM me if you interested, we can negotiate price shipping depending where you are.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

19. jjdavidson

jjdavidson Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish to get an 18" rear wheel with cush hub to my project CCM 604 (Rotax) Dual Sport... It has 20mm axle. My question is: Which (other bike) rear wheel should i buy?
  20. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:
    Question;

What is the weight comparison of Woodys' new lightweight hubs in comparison to the old, now defunct RAD Mfg. hubs for the KTM 950/990?