1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an awesome build got a build thread?
  2. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Woody, you do hubs for the Ducati Desert Sled?
  3. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The DRZ400 has a 20mm axle. It is very likely that you will need to machine your own spacers to fit this hub to your swingarm though. You may need a new disc and sprocket as well, but won't be able to confirm that until you get the wheel/hub in. We can supply a cush style hub for this. Feel free to email us for a quote on the build: info@woodyswheelworks.com
  4. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Good question. The differences are just about ~1lb on the rear, and ~6 oz on the front hub.
  5. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    why on earth no one pointed me to you woody in the first place is beyond me

so here i sit, ive got an 83 xl600r that spends the better part of 75% of its time in the woods, sick of the issues with 17inch knobbys slowly going the way of the dodo as well as up in price, i want to go 18, but i want GOLD like honda and everyone else did in the 80s..my street rubber will remain on a stock set of 21/17 silver DID's

buchannon spokes seems like the only option(or atleast no ones told me otherwise)

as for wheels, everything seems to be pointing that if i want to maintain the 2.50 it cant be had in gold(obviously i can pay a shop to color stuff)

so, whats the deal with 2.15 vs 2.50?...is there any reason i should stay at the 2.5 or just submit to going to the 2.15

lastly i have an older honda hub that i "think" i have ID'd but cant be certain...that id like to use for a 3rd set of wheels(probably get a paddle mounted on it) if i toss a pic up you think you can positivly id it?

oh one last thing..i have a yamaha MT 18x2.50 DID wheel here that im contemplating getting plated gold and lacing up..any reason i shouldnt? its got MASSIVE bead edges..the kind you know you cant hurt
  6. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Hey @sh0rtlife. We can get gold anodized Excel rims. I DON'T recommend plating it, because that usually leads to other issues down the road. Also, plating is a PITA if it gets scratched or chipped because you cannot just touch up the area. It has to be stripped and re-plated. Otherwise, the plating will continue to flake off.

As for the width of rim, it depends on the size of tire that you want to run. The 2.15" is good for a 110 or 120 size tire. The 2.50" is good for anything from a 120-140 size tire. You can certainly post or email a pic to us. If you would like a quote on that gold Excel, shoot me an email: info@woodyswheelworks.com
  7. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Woodys,

If I wanted an extra set of tubeless wheels for my Ducati Desert Sled in stock sizes, would you have hubs that fit this bike, or should I get a pair from my dealer and send them to you?

(Looking for a set of wheels in black, black spokes, black nipples)
  8. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Hi @Max Kool We can provide new hubs from the dealer if you would like. Or if you want to get them, that is fine too. What size wheels are you wanting to go with? Same as stock or something different?
  9. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Same as stock, 3.0x19" front, 4.5x17" rear
    woody's wheel works likes this.
  10. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    No problem at all. We can get Excels in black and drill them to match the hubs.
  11. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    great!

I'll email you for a quote.
  12. Blazz

Blazz Stationary Traveller

Oddometer:
    Hello Woody.

Sorry for digging out the post from 10 years back ;)

Would be very happy if You could enlgihten the noob like me on matching the wrong indexed rim and hub. Back in ...2008 You wrote:

"2= add or subtract one cross on one side...adding a cross requires longer spokes and vice versa for subtracting a cross.... both of these will require redrilling and contersinking the holes on that side of the rim accordingly,,in your case i would add a cross and i would do that on the disc side of the rim,,it will actually increase the strength:thumb"

Does redriling require welding the rim over the original spoke holes, then drilling new ones at correct angle? And than matching a correct lenght spokes. I accuired a 2015 ktm rally rim being quite sure it'll fit my old 2002 660 rally hub, judging just by the number of spokes- and than found out they do not match:(

I would go for "3=have someone like me or Buchananas redrill and figure out the lengths,,and provide the correct lenth spokes ..." -option if I wouldn't live almost on the other side of the globe- but from this location the shipping costs alone would destroy my litlle budget ;)

Thanks in advance for reply.
  13. Rich-in-GA

Rich-in-GA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a new 2017 R1200GS Rallye. I’ve replaced most all of the wheels on various bikes through the years with Woody’s, and I’ve always been pleased with the overall quality of the wheels along with their performance when compared to OEM wheels. I already had wired OEM wheels on my 2017 GS, so should I really buy one set from Woody’s just to replace the wired set that came with the bike?! Sounds Crazy!....or does it? Woody’s after all are lighter and stronger than OEM wheels, and the different colored hubs make the bike really stand out.

Here are some before and after picks. You be the judge.
    D30D4787-BAD8-4B19-88BA-9D217E072624.jpeg F5789F50-93D4-462B-B01E-D68864B1EAFE.jpeg
  14. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have to show off my new bling from Woody and his troops. Rachelle was so helpful and found quick answers to all my questions. They have seen some action since these glamour shots, so some mud and Road scum knocks the shine off. 3013A4E1-0D3E-4E83-A0B5-7B947C1B1E67.jpeg F8363112-2677-4956-A528-13766DB1F063.jpeg C5CE4581-84D5-4B21-936C-89CFD0E96750.jpeg

PS. Rachelle....when you get back in the US give me a call. We can finalize the front wheel for the 701 we spoke about.
  15. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    My front & rear repaired wheels arrive today. Very excited and looking forward to riding them hard this year.
  16. LillMange

LillMange Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Woody's! I can't wait to get my new wheels, how are they coming along? Just ordered new rubber (Motoz) for them, aaaah, and we have like -10*C and a lot of snow here... but the garage is warm and ready for us
    BR/Magnus Engelmark R1200GS 2004
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I sent in two Spoked GS Adventure wheels. They look straight now. I'm no expert and just eye-balling. The proof will be in the ride quality and handling. I'm attaching the invoices to those who are interested. I think it's helpful to others and of course prices will vary I assume depending on severity...also shipping will vary for you as well. I'm in New Hampshire and Woody's is in CO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no doubt this is going to be an amazingly strong wheel now. I'm having issues deciphering what the writing on the inside of the week means. I see trued by someone and something about 12 ruts. Not sure what that means.

Is this expensive? I guess? but not for what BMW charges for a wheel...just the wheel $1700 not spokes, hub, lacing, etc. If you read the first post, Woody's is truing wheels beyond BMW's Factory spec. That's impressive. I have no buyers remorse (at least not yet) and there's a one year warranty to boot.

How did these wheels get bent? I was changing my own tires and bent both wheels. User error. Very costly mistake trying to save $75 by not having the local shop do it....sigh.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  18. LillMange

LillMange Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adam, every now and then we all do things that we have to pay someone else to redo :) I don't want to risk bending my new wheels from woody's when changing tires on them, hence the question: Can you describe what you did when working on the tire changes that made them get bent?

best regards
    Magnus
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Too little technique and way too much force. That's pretty much all it was.
    LillMange likes this.
  20. Jbrjbr21

Jbrjbr21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought a spare cast wheel for my 16 gs1200 from woodys. It was packed like fine China great service!