1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Better question - maybe he could share his workout regimen with us!:photog
  2. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Never heard that one before. I admire your honesty!
    LillMange and AdamChandler like this.
  3. LillMange

LillMange Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hey guys and girls, I have a set of wheels arriving from Woody’s next week and want to prepare for assembly. So, to the question: do WWW supply the wheels with rim bands and locks or not?

Wheels: 1.85x21 and 2.50x18 superlite.

Best regards
    Magnus

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
  4. Vince

Vince Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Morad rear alloy rim that's just been fitted to a vintage road bike with a huge REAR twin leader brake. I have a spoke torque wrench and want to check the spoke tension. Its laced in the 2x style but all the spokes start from the inner of the hub, originally it had alterant inner and outer starting spokes from the hub. Anyone know what torque setting to use on these 4mm spokes. Hows that for a tech question.
  5. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    Woody! Got any advice for a newb with ambition to lace his own front wheel? Have an f800GSA, want to put a new rim but keep the hub and the spokes.
  6. kid a

kid a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woody, or anyone else with experience in the 2017 & up ktm excf's

I recently bought a used 2018 KTM 500 excf that came with a set of 17" aftermarket supermoto wheels on it.

My question is about cush hubs and the need or not on these bikes specifically if it's going to see 100% road use as a supermoto. It feels smooth enough as is, and I've done a web search but didn't find any spline shaft failures on these, but coming from a 690 that had a cash hub and this bike having nearly the same power and road use in mind I'm wondering if it's necessary to long term driveline and trans life?

And if so do you have cush drives that work on these bikes? I do see that warp 9 offers a cush wheel for the excf, but am thinking I'd rather reuse the Excel rims, spokes and nipples I have now and just have Woody's replace hub and relace to save some $

Thanks
  7. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F800gs owner in need of a new front wheel.
    Looks like the 21X1.85 wheel is recommended.
    Are there any drawbacks to this size?
    Improved off pavement but how about on the street?
  8. albacore

albacore Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to have a Japanese patterned front wheel made for my 06' KTM 640 Adventure using an aftermarket hub and Excel A60 so I can get away from the Euro pattern but can't find a hub. Do you know of any that would work? Are there any options other than buying another stock hub.

Thanks
    woody's wheel works likes this.
  9. Rinat

Rinat n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, guys.

I have a question regarding my r1200GSA (2011) spokes.
    So far i have no issues with wheels, but thought to check the spokes tension. Since i don't believe my ears and have no experience with spokes, i bought special tool, which is "Ppoxxon" dynamometer screwdriver (wrench) grades from 2 to 10 Nm. The idea was to check the tension with this tool by screwing the spokes (nipples) with 4Nm. After i have read some information i realized that this is not an exit, i can broke geometry of wheel. Is it true? Can you tell me (or link me to refer information) please, how can i check tension with this tool or this is a useless tool until i need replace the spokes and better to return it to seller (cost me 100$) ?

Kind regards,
    Rinat.
  10. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No drawbacks. You may feel the bike want to track more in grooved pavement, but that will be minimal in comparison to the benefit you'll feel off road. Email me @ rachelle@woodyswheelworks.com if you'd like to get a quote on the rim and/or labor to build

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
  11. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @albacore email me @ rachelle@woodyswheelworks.com and I'll look into hub options for you
    Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
  12. mackdaddy

mackdaddy Finding my way Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy,

I have a 2014 BMW F800GSA. Love the bike and have no issue with it at all. The current front rim is 21". I wanted to know just to know :-) what would be gained or lost by going to say a 19" front rim. Trying to get educamacated my peeps!. Thanks for any reply.
  13. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody, what's a general price on two rims for the 2012 GS. I'm thinking about getting an extra set in the next year or so. Do you get them in from time to time for sale? Rear 17, front 19. I've got spokes on mine now, but aluminum would be fine for a second set, either or.

Thanks
  14. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I had you lace & straighten my GSA wheels in January. one year warranty is in effect so is there value in sending the wheels back to you in December for a quick inspection to ensure all is still good?
  15. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed my front wheel wobbling this weekend. Upon closer inspection, I found at least 3 loose spokes. My ride is a 2012 BMW F800GS. I am third owner. Anyone know what the torque spec is for tightening the OEM front wheel? Rear wheel?

Can anyone confirm spoke tool size for front ? For rear? I noticed they are different.

My apologies if this information ( Spoke Torque ) is already posted. I did my best using Google search engine and keywords to find it.

I am also probably going to order a Tusk wheel balancing station in conjunction with a Tusk spoke torque tool set. Any thoughts / experience? Any other brand I should look at?

Thanks.
  16. One MO Rider

One MO Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got my damaged GSA wheel back from Woodys and they did a great job repairing! However I wanted to point something out that was confusing that cost me more than I expected.

I was told when I called Woodys initially that I could either leave the rotors on or take them off when I shipped the wheel, no biggie. I decided to leave them on and pay maybe a bit more shipping as seemed to be clear they would not touch the rotors and why waste the time pulling them. However once I got the quote there was a $40 rotor feet remove and replace. I explained my previous understanding but it didn’t matter. I wish I had known about this beforehand so I could have saved $40 for 20 minutes of extra work and the slight risk of a technician not orienting the rotors back in same position/side.

Live and learn I guess. Woodys does excellent work, just be aware that if you want to avoid this $40 charge, pull your rotors before you send your wheels in.
    AZQKR likes this.
  17. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tool just shipped my bent front wheel on my 2012 F800GS to Woodys. They recommended ( told me ) to remove it to save on shipping weight, cost of removing it to relate and true wheel, and minimize risk of damage to brake rotors during shipping.

I am fairly confident that Woodys can only salvage my OEM wheel hub. So, I removed everything from my whee: brake rotors, tire, tube, rim strip. Woodys told me I could even cut my spokes. But, I was curious what they through of my wheel condition before working on it.

Anyhow I am waiting for a new Excel rim, SuperLaced / SuperSized spokes, using my stock hub. I decided to go with stock 2.18" wide rim width. I live on the east coast. So, 80% of riding is on paved. Moreover, I have a spare off-road rim; also stock rim.

Kam
  18. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same experience here. I didn't remove rotors and was charged. i probably would have screwed up something anyway.
  19. Major_Tom

Major_Tom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody, I have some (probably misbegotten) dreams of turning my xsr700 into a scrambler, a la XScrambleR700, posted elsewhere in the forums. One of the last steps therein is gonna be to put 19" front and 17" rear spoked wheels that will handle the abuse better than the stock cast wheels. I could try and retrofit an xt660z or scr950 wheel, but I wanted to ask what you think it would take for you to bang out a pair? Ideally I would want to stay tubeless for simplicity. I would absolutely want to keep carving the canyons, but I really hate saying no to an open road just because it's 'meant for atvs' and 'will pop my oil sump cover'. Any V is AT if you're dumb enough! :jack