Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. wilfred

wilfred juvenile delinquent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like to know about converting my XCA Tiger wheels to tubeless tires.
  2. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woody -- do you have any advice for patching over a rim lock holes in a Dirt Star rim? I don't tend to air down like the previous owner did and would like to remove the rim locks just to make replacing any flats that much simpler.

Thank you for any advice.

Matt
  3. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Not sure if Woody's monitors this thread, but you can order plugs from an XT350 Yamaha ti fit those holes.
    MattF44 likes this.
  4. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really appreciate your advice! Thank you.
  5. MannyM

MannyM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Woody et al.

F800GS (2011)

Looking for some information... is it possible to re-lace the rear wheel to a 3.5" wide rim using the stock spokes? Is there enough reach in the OEM spokes...? Experienced wheel builder looking for some help before I re-lace my wheels... Hoping not to have to get new spokes.

Thanks,
    M
  6. gobbler

gobbler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Far Norcal,Redding, middle of freaken nowhere.
    I'm in need of a front rim for my 06 KTM 950 adventure, I want to use the stock hub and spokes but want to go with a 21' X 1.85". Do you have something that will work? Thank you.
  7. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello Woody. Are the old Rad hubs for the 990 and 950 Laced Jap or Euro pattern?
  8. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure you can use a stock super enduro rim for what you need. I think it even uses the Stock spokes.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    DRC also makes rim hole plugs. They're designed for plugging rim lock holes, as well as valve stem holes if you're installing a mousse. You can get them from RMATV for a few bucks. I've used them many times, and they work very well.
  10. bthebird

bthebird Knight in muddy armor

Oddometer:
    Hello fellow inmates, I recently bought a 2006 BMW R1200GS and found some hubs from a Adv. I ordered a 21 X 18 wheel conversion with a pro wheelbuilder with very good reputation here in Belgium/Netherlands. They used a 1,85 X21 excel front rim and used the OEM hubs. The result looks fantastic, but when I put in the front wheel, the calipers rub against the spokes because of a different angle they are in. Has anybody here had the samen with a 21inch front rim conversion on an 'early' R1200GS?
  11. z00l

z00l Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @woody's wheel works
    Hello.
    I need a bit of information.
    I have HP2 enduro and question is regarding tyre size that can be fitted to rear sumo wheel.
    I have done some research an in one of post you answered that "FYI it's the same as rear R1200GSA] you must know this rim is optimal for the 150/70x17 tire size or a 160/80x17..the 160/60 or 70x17 need a wider 5-5.5 rim width "
    Question is why is 160x80 ok and 160/60 is not?
    To my understanding:
    Both have same width
    x80 have bigger diameter
    x80 have sidewall height +32mm compared to x60
    Now according to my research (please correct me if I am wrong) x60 should fit, what I do not understand is why do they need wider rim?
    I wanted to fit 160/60r17 and after reading you suggestions I have doubts :).
    Cheers,
    Vuk
  12. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    An 80 section tire can be pinched more without distorting the running surface. A 60 section tire doesn’t have enough sidewall to adjust to a narrower rim and and will pinch the tire into a V shape.
    z00l and Major_Tom like this.
  13. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    @woody's wheel works I have a question. Not so much about wheels, but about wheel/tire sizes.

I'm currently riding an FTR1200, which has a 19" front, and an 18" rear. The stock tires are not all that and I'm looking for something to replace them, street tires. My question is about the rear. The stock rear rim is 18x4.25-18. Can I use a 160/60ZR18 on that?

Why am I asking? I noticed there are plenty choices in 150/70-18, but these are typically tires with a fairly stiff carcass, allroad tires. However I'm looking for a tire that is a little more pliant. Like the Bridgestone T31 or Conti Road Attack 3. (but these are only available in 160/60ZR18, not in 150/70).

According to some information the 160/60-18 requires a 4.50" at minimum, others say it will work on a 4.25" wheel....

Got any advice? Will these fit a 4.25" rim?

(tnx in advance)
  14. matts1050

matts1050 V Twin Guy-Just Turned 90 Degrees

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody,
    I have the new Moto Guzzi V85 with tubed tires. What are my options to go tubless? Can I use one of the tape wraps available and still run tubes just in case it fails? Can you lace tubless rims to my hubs?
    Thanks!
    Matt