Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sent in an inquiry on the new KTM 390 Adv. It could use the increase in ground clearance of an 21/18 combo, but I'd settle for at least a good, 19/17 set for now if we can't get one to work. I'll have to make my own 'R' version, as they are not selling what the US and EU markets want in the bike, yet. It's just got to hold me over until the 490 anyway.
  2. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your inquiry on the 390. Yes, we are looking into this as we agree that the current wheels will not hold-up to taking off-road. We do not currently have a set ready for this, as it has been nearly impossible to get measurements, as the bike and the parts have been nearly impossible to find in the States. Once we can get a bike, or the wheels, we can figure out the measurements. The front wheel rotor mounts may be an issue as look to be smaller diameter than typical ktm hub, but we will have to see. Once the hub/spacer specs are figured out, building wheel(s) around it will not be an issue. If come across someone who already has and willing to part with wheels for a bit or take a couple measurements, feel free to pass along our info.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Wonger20 likes this.
  3. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:

I've got a bend in an Excel rim very similar to this guy's, perhaps slightly worse, and wondering if I should heat the spot up before bending it with the big wrench? Can I use one of those small propane torches?
  4. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    On these softer OEM excel's and similar rims, you don't always need to use heat to straighten. You have to look at the aluminum to see how it's responding. Also recommend if using crescent wrench or similar, that have something like piece of aluminum or plastic between the tool and the rim to displace the energy some and decrease chance of damaging rim.

You do want to check the tension of spokes before and after as all the parts are being stressed some when rim bends. Sometimes no effect, but make sure to check. You don' t want the spokes being loose before straightening. Best of luck if you choose to diy and take slow at first to see how responding.

Chris

5. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Some good tips!
  6. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    We're Going Live!

We are streaming a live question and answer session today at 2pm MT (4pm Eastern) for you to ask your questions on wheels, service or whatever crosses your mind. Click the link below and follow the Facebook post link to join the show, and be sure to submit your wheel questions in the chat window! We hope to see you there!

Tune in Here or go to: https://www.facebook.com/woodyswheelworks

And if you can't tune in today, let us know any questions you have.

Thanks,
    Chris

[​IMG]
  7. Redhawk03a

Redhawk03a Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a 95 Monolever R100RT. I'd like to replace the mag "Y" wheels with spoked rims from you guys. What is needed to make this modification?
  8. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a rear 18” ktm exc rim ? I’d like to know if I can put it on a f800gs rear hub ? Will the holes be drilled at a acceptable angle for me to use it if I buy the correct length spokes ?
    Thanks for any advice
  9. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't recommend it. The rear wheel on the F800GS is a non-standard(Euro) drill pattern and the 18" ktm exc rim/wheel is a standard(Jap) drill pattern. In addition the hubs have different width's and crosses, so would have to add a cross to one side and custom drill. On a separate note, wouldn't recommend an 18x2.15" rim for a F800GS, better to keep 17" or if go to 18", will want something wider for better displacement and tire selection. Better to buy correctly drilled rim.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Chris

kito and GF-kam like this.
  10. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a comment, not a question, so the mods may dump it. On a recent trip across the US, I needed tires so I called Grass Roots BMW in Cape Girardeau. They were most accommodating and assigned their master tech to my project. He came into the showroom where I was waiting and said, "Man, those are the coolest wheels I've ever seen. Where did you get them?"
    [​IMG]

Mike
    dooby, amartin4410, Uke and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Suzuki link from the initial post seems to be a dead link. What are the options for putting tubeless spoked wheels on my 2013 DL650 ABS Vstrom?
  12. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Katran91

Katran91 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the simmilar question. I've got one rear rim from KTM 790 (R18 4.5, 36 spokes) Is it possible to put it on BMW F800GS? If so - is there any info about spokes lenght for such setup?
  14. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reaching out. You cannot lace the KTM 790-1290 OEM rim to the BMW F800GS, for similar reason described, the 790-1290 rim is standard(Japanese) drill pattern, and the F800 is non-standard (European) drill pattern. If you are wanting to go tubeless, recommend just sealing the OEM F800 rim with Outex tubeless kit. If wanting 18" do not recommend an 18" on the F800 much anymore especially a rim that ride because the tire choices have improved in the 17", and there is not much space for 18" with the oem F800 swingarm.

Holler with any other questions.

Thanks
    Chris

15. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, what are the options to build a set of tubeless wheels for HP2 Enduro? I was thinking to go 21x2.15 and 18x2.5, but was told there is no 2.15 Excel rim that fits 40 spoke BMW front hub.