1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sent in an inquiry on the new KTM 390 Adv. It could use the increase in ground clearance of an 21/18 combo, but I'd settle for at least a good, 19/17 set for now if we can't get one to work. I'll have to make my own 'R' version, as they are not selling what the US and EU markets want in the bike, yet. It's just got to hold me over until the 490 anyway.
  2. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your inquiry on the 390. Yes, we are looking into this as we agree that the current wheels will not hold-up to taking off-road. We do not currently have a set ready for this, as it has been nearly impossible to get measurements, as the bike and the parts have been nearly impossible to find in the States. Once we can get a bike, or the wheels, we can figure out the measurements. The front wheel rotor mounts may be an issue as look to be smaller diameter than typical ktm hub, but we will have to see. Once the hub/spacer specs are figured out, building wheel(s) around it will not be an issue. If come across someone who already has and willing to part with wheels for a bit or take a couple measurements, feel free to pass along our info.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Wonger20 likes this.
  3. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:

I've got a bend in an Excel rim very similar to this guy's, perhaps slightly worse, and wondering if I should heat the spot up before bending it with the big wrench? Can I use one of those small propane torches?
  4. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On these softer OEM excel's and similar rims, you don't always need to use heat to straighten. You have to look at the aluminum to see how it's responding. Also recommend if using crescent wrench or similar, that have something like piece of aluminum or plastic between the tool and the rim to displace the energy some and decrease chance of damaging rim.

You do want to check the tension of spokes before and after as all the parts are being stressed some when rim bends. Sometimes no effect, but make sure to check. You don' t want the spokes being loose before straightening. Best of luck if you choose to diy and take slow at first to see how responding.

Chris

5. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Some good tips!