1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

ask Woody about your Yamaha Supere Tenere XT1200Z wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jan 28, 2012.

1. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sat in the shed for a long time tonight. thinkin,,,,,,,, blue hub or black hub?????:hung and i think black, standard hub is the go(blue might look funny with the black shaft drive and all):ksteve . so Zach . if you can get under way the above mentioned wheel,
    ( 2.5 x 18 black excel superlaced w/ stainless spokes/nipples with a stock hub) :D and get me a full quote including freight ,:wave i will get payment sorted and happiness shale pre-vale through out the land once more:bubba........ btw ...thanks to you and your elves , for the help while woody's off soaking up the Mediterranean.:evil:evil. shhh don't tell him i said that :deal:deal.............................cams
  2. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hello zach and co.
    Its your friendly adv stalker again......:D hows the progress with the 18' rear wheel going????? I Havent herd from you for a while......:freaky
    ps wasp's rocket made into the local ( as in aussie made) mag with a little word about the 21' /18' wheel set up . See ......:deal you "guys" are almost famous.
  3. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

4. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    Good looking rear wheel. Love the spokes.
  5. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah, those spokes look massive!

ktm950se
  6. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia
  7. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Cams my good mate,,
    Just arrived in Saigon,,,and was able to use my new I-pad for the first time,,,,trying to check in with my troopies,,,when i see you are still ooohing and ahiing from as great a distance as me,,,

Talk to me,,
    Wazzup,,as for me,,i 'm gonna slam down an ice cold,,ie. As in poured over ice cubes ba muoi ba '33' beer...some krauts made the stuff along time ago,,,IMHO tastes waaay better than Tiger or Tsing Tao...the Viets are Heinekin and VSOP brandy fanatics:wink:
    :freaky
    Woody
  8. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Haha, sound like your havein to much fun....:D as for here...:eek1 havin a bit of a cold snap ...-7.c here this cold morning.looking forward to a bit of r&r with some dirt bike riding down on the east coast this weekend:clap:clap bit warmer down there. the wheel that your troop's have put together for me looks beautiful. cant wait to get it on. Ive only just got payment sorted. (cold and wet weather here has stuff my internet :cry) anyway Zach should get that money soon & I will have my new wheel and the planets will re a line.

P.S. wap's s10 with your wheel got a short column in "Trailzone" magazine, our premium dirt/ adventure bike read. pretty cool huh ?:wink::wink:
  9. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just got my shipping info ......:clap:clap:clap:clap just postage time now.........:deal guess i will find a way to fill in the time :wink: :freaky:1drink:freaky:beer:dutch:loaded:puke2
  10. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    got somthing in the mail today ..........:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil
  11. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    So - How'd you go Cams?????????? Get them fitted up yet?

I think you really are going to love it mate.

I made the mistake initially of putting some chewing gum soft full knobby tires on when I first got my 18" rear and it felt like shit... Could hardly touch the throttle in any gear on road or it would spin madly. That was nearly six weeks ago but since then I have installed 90/90-21 and 140/70(?)-18 Heidenau's and it feels bloody awsome.

It now rides in the dirt like a dirt bike should ride (albiet a farkn heavy one:rofl) and on road is just glorious.
    The rear tire is very large diameter on the 2.5" wide rim and is only millimeters from the swing-arm centre now, but the speedo is just about spot on and is only shows 2kph discrepancy from actual GPS speed.
    In hindsight though if I was to change anything (and possibly still will) I think the 3.5" wide rear would be a better choice for the size and bulk of this bike. It would make the tires sit just a little wider and smaller rolling diameter , and probably allow a better selection of tires.

I would definitely stick with the silver color on this bike though.... I love to look compared to the OEM black wheels.:evil
    On that subject - I did plan on fitting a new set of OEM tires to the standard 17/19" wheels and swapping out each time i go for a long ride but I honestly dont think I would bother. I really do prefer the way this feels now compared to how it was as standard.

I was out from about lunch time today and only managed about 15kms of gravel/jeep trail before hitting the road for a 150km ride with a few visits to mates places along the way.

I now have the dual discs back up and functional and I must say I prefer the feel of the less lever effort stopping power at the expense of a couple extra kgs weight.
    I have also replaced my rear raising links with the standard units until I can get some half height ones laser cut.
    I found the bike felt a little too high with the raising links, even with the seat in the low position (which I now prefer), so I can raise the bike half way and get the benefit back of the quicker steering + more ground clearance again + have my seat back in the more comfortable low position.

I didnt stop long enough to get the camera out until well after dark so I snapped a few shitty (very high ISO) pics under a street light. Unfortunately I was stuck without a flash or any fast lenses.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also found time to do the clutch switch bypass trick to restore full power in the first three gears - In one word "WOW" what a difference!!! This thing pulls like a frig'n freight train off the line now... I nearly had an epileptic seizure watching the TCS light go crazy on the dash. The bike was in TCS1 and the back was spinning and hopping like mad trying to keep up with the TCS. I can imagine with street or even OEM tires fitted it would go like stink.
    If you havent done this mod yet, do yourself a favor and try it.

I did a bit of a report and added a few pics of the brake line project over at: http://www.waspworks.com/gallery/supertenere/WASPWORKS Super Tenere 220712_02.jpg and that has worked out really well in combination with the high front guard system allowing full steering articulation and suspension travel.

Will keep all posted with further pics and stories as I get to head bush from now on.

Greg.
  12. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So - How'd you go Cams?????????? Get them fitted up yet?

I think you really are going to love it mate.

I made the mistake initially of putting some chewing gum soft full knobby tires on when I first got my 18" rear and it felt like shit... Could hardly touch the throttle in any gear on road or it would spin madly. That was nearly six weeks ago but since then I have installed 90/90-21 and 140/70(?)-18 Heidenau's and it feels bloody awsome.

Gdday Greg,
    Good to see your s10 back for us all to enjoy. In answer to your question, I haven't got the new 18' rear on yet ( waiting on a dunlop rally raid d908 140/80/18 ) to turn up. While we are on the subject of rear tyres, you wouldn't know the overall diameter of the rear heidenau you've got on by any chance??? the dunlop is 27.24 inches. youve got me thinking about swing-arm clearance.

Ive had the 21' front on for while now, ( with a 606 dunlop knobby) and it absolutely transforms the bike when off road. the handling in mud, sand, hard pack dirt , gravel is all fabulous. I was interested to hear the you got good handling on tar with the heidenau's. The terrain that I am in is extreme for dirt bikes and glorious for road bikes. So my plan to swap the wheels is as good as i can do, and was always the plan. sticky 19'/ 17' road rubber to hunt sports bikes. ( and dont they hate it) and full 21'/18' knobbies to play in the 20,000 hectare's of pine forest/wilderness mountains my farm backs onto.

I love the high guard mount that you made, and the brake set up looks horn as well. Please let me know if you are going into production with them as I would deferentially buy a set . Your fork protectors are cool too.

keep up the good work Greg, youve inspired me as least to go out play with my pride and joy. cheers cams
  13. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hello!!!! wasps?......woody?........anyone?:huh
  14. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    hello?
  15. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:

Yes?????? :ear:ear:ear

woody,,,at your beck n call...
  16. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:

Hello!

(I just figured, since you already got Wasp and Woody, I'd just fill in for Anyone.)
  17. obe01

obe01 Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there Woody, just wondering how all is going...

Old Zach had sorted me wheels out for us and I have been trying to get in touch with him with no joy, is he away at the moment or something????

My last email I sent to you I got a reply from Jill I think asking me how I would like to proceed. I am not sure what has happened mate but I would like to speak with Zach or at least yourself to sort me wheels out otherwise this is how mistakes happen when other people get involved.

From my last correspondance with Zach, he was able to match up my wheels luckily and had prepared my rear for tubeless use but this is as far as we have gotten. I did see a picture of them assembled and they look great. I just need for Zach who I have been dealing with to close the deal or yourself who knows what the deal is.

If you could get some info to us it would be greatly appreciated mate. It's been months trying to sort this out and still no wheels. Look forward to your reply please Woody.

Cheers mate,

Johnnie
  18. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    well Johnnie,,,sometimes what looked like/ appered to me a rather simple deal has as we. are both. learning gone haywire somewhere,,

i'mi still in Saigon ,will be back inDenver on 31 July ifmy luck holdsout,,cripe,,i simply have no answer to yourdilemna,,wheels beingsealedtake an extra3-4 days from completion,,soooo2????

will e2-mailthe gang and get ya handled,,shiti,,i bet a hundredpeoples. wheelshave been built and sent out sinceya placed the original request,,it was a bit unusual,,black spokes,,gold nipples etc

i'll put some. more logs on your fire :deal

woody
  19. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oh dear, my internet has a time limit on my life .......:cry it seems to go on the blink every time i try and say somthing on this web site...........anyway . to wasp, woody and anyone:wink::wink:(mickf5000):wink::wink: sorry to call you all to order:deal, and then leave you hanging..............but just needed some info .. I ve ordered a dunlop rally raid rear tyre ( 140 / 80/ 18 i just need to know if it will clear the swingarn????? wasp i think i saw somwhere that you had a stonemaster 140/80/18 on the back of you s10...... can you tell me if it cleared the swing arm enough or not ??? and woody if you had info on this subject that would cool too. with thanks in advance ..cams:evil
  20. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    hi cam's

both Wasp-mans and our Rally Raids cleared,,,

passed all the WTF ,,,??? data to Chris n Zach,,,they are on it,,,will be back in shop on 31 july if i need a bigger hammer:wink:

i'm hammering down my last 333 beer ,,,cheers to all of ya

woody