1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

ask Woody about your Yamaha Supere Tenere XT1200Z wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jan 28, 2012.

1. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you for your return reply. all you have said, is music to my ears:ear. please could indulge with some pix of of your s10 wheel + sensor plate part,perhaps blue hub with black rim, and a little info on how to get the ball rolling on a purchase:D. P.S. i have my own mods on "lifting " the front guard, but the brake line set up you spoke of sounds good too ......could i have a little more info there as well?:wink: many thanks , cheers cams
  2. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    :clapCheck out the new found ground clearance on that puppy.

[​IMG]

Mine has another inch of clearance again (or will do with an 18" rear) with the rear raising links.

Greg.
  3. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    Searched "diameter" and did not find what am looking for.

What is the diameter differences (mounted and bare) between the four wheels?

17" vs 18"

19" vs 21"

Trying to see how much the Tenere raised with the new wheels and tires.

The raising links should raise the rear of the Tenere more than the front. Is this correct?
  4. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Both front 21" and rear 18" will be around 20mm larger in radius than standard 19" and 17". Therefore = 20mm lift height.

The raising links add around 25mm lift at the swing arm pivot axle. This pivots around the front tire contact patch.

With a combination of larger wheels and raising links you would get around 38mm to 42mm extra ground clearance.

Greg
  5. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    While Woody's been eating, drinking, shitting, and sleeping (:wink:) I decided to measure and model the front wheel assembly for the ABS/TCS encoder pickup.

Truth be known, I know he is in a tight spot with difficult access to a bike for measurements and he's done the right thing by me. So it was payback time.

I was saying, while he did F#@k ALL over the last couple of days, I have been slaving over a rattly computer.
    As Woody has mentioned, he has come up with a resolve for mounting the standard encoder and sensor (which we have conclusively proven is still 100% functional with what ever wheel combo) which allows a no mod swap over from your standard 19" front hoops to the Woody's Wheel Works 21" SuperLite setup.

It looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the new SPOKELESS hub shown.... So advanced that it rides on a cushion of air between the hub and rim. :evil

Greg.
  6. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer:
    Maybe I missed it; but how well does the center stand work with the larger wheels?
  7. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:

we had a 90/90 21 and 130/90 x18 rear,,the bike went on the center-stand,,,it was pretty flat,,ie the bike didn't rock back n forrth AND it also didn't wobble from being too short the bike leaned a little more to the left 17 /73 degrees didn't come close to leaning too far.... as evidenced by this pic

[​IMG]

i'd probably need /use a 3/4'' piece of wood under center-stand to change tires ..
    w
  8. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you gentlemen for your your excellent photos and C.A.D. images:D . just a couple of questions thou:deal, has anyone measured the clearance ( on full compression ) between the 21" wheel and the oil filter ? i know is close but would handy to know ( ive seen wasps tutorial on this but no measurement :bubba ) ..... secondly what sort of time frame would be fair to assume for availability of the rim i posted about early?:wink: also to woody you spoke of hi rise front fender & and split or separate brake lines from manifold to calliper setups... would you have any pix of that you could post? thanks again in advance.:norton
  9. Thagua

Thagua Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody ... please consider 90 cms for the length of the crossover hose ... after installing my high fender I realized that you need an additional inch to be comfortable with the hose over the back end of the high fender ... could not unscrew the nut holding the brake tube to the manifold so as to have independent brake lines to each caliper ... (did not use the proper tool for the job ... nipple wrench ... so the nipple is 'kaput') ... regarding the brake rotors or discs for my new 21 and 18" wheels, I bought here the complete set as shown below so I can have 2 sets of wheels ... one for road travels (19 - 17) and another for off-road (21-18)
    Cheers,
    Thagua

[​IMG]
  10. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    hi roberto,,,

1,,your original measurement was 850mm so i added 25mm = 875mm now you want 25mm more = 900mm=90cm that's ok with me...that = 25mm/1'' extra per side,,,nos problemos

2,,just curious,,how many us dollars $$$ for a front disc and the rear.???

your rear is being /was sealed for tubeless,,,do you need the disc mounting screws,,,?we bought them for you just in case...:ear

muchas gratias
    senor w
  11. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    :wink:ok folks here's the fruits of the last days labors,,as ya know,,and if ya didn't now ,,ya will,,,wasp- the amazing 'solid works' -man in my llfe,,,throws some amazing light on what i'm doing,,,like ''ya may want to take a bit off here 'cuz it's got a slight interference problem right at the edge of that radius on your adapters,'',,,ok ya get the drift,,but get this ,,SO IT WAS !!!! after matching the modified spacer and trying it out for the first time,,,that lil corner he pointed out on his solid works program was just nicking the edge of my spacers as he had predicted,,,:eek1:huh,,i'm beginning to pay alittle more attention to what my mate ''down under blabs about:wink:

so here's my Superlite ST -II = Super tenere double-disc version with the future location of the sensor ring:deal

with the ST spacer assy..this had to be shortened the same amount as the overall width of the oem sensor plate with spacer,,BUT,,we ran into a snag!!,,turns out that the distance from the ST oem bearing to axle was/is the same as mine..:eek1:huhhow often does that happen,,,,??? to be contd,,the wie is yelling come down for dinner,,NO !!,,, it's take me out to dinner,,i bet one or two of ya can relate to that scenario:wink:
    <table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Woody's Tenere Wheels</td></tr></tbody></table>
    trying the oem sesor plate/holder onto my hub
    <table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Woody's Tenere Wheels</td></tr></tbody></table>
    the difference between the front [right side unit ] and the rear[the one on left] is this ,,,they use the same casting but rear sensor mount is higrre than the front sensor mount,,,so the lower casting height is for the frontwheel and vice-versa

<table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Woody's Tenere Wheels</td></tr></tbody></table>on the right is the std Superlite ST spacer,,to the left the modified one with the O ring groove machined in ,,just like the oem spacer used in the sensor holder

<table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>here's the inside view of sensor holder showing the 1mm removal of outer corne/edge to eliminate the interference the edge created,,NOW,,,this mod allowed the holder to seat solidly against all the inner spacers and leave .5mm/.020'' clearance between it and my hub:clap

another view of all that's needed to gain adequate clearance...,,ya can do this at home with a hand -file:wink:
    <table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Woody's Tenere Wheels

to be continued manana,,after a good nite's sleep
    woody
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  12. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Looking good Woody.
    I'm prolly the only one on the planet that can make head or tail of that at the moment, but it will all fall into place when onlookers see it assembled and working.

Greg.
  13. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
  14. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
  15. cams

cams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi woody , further to the front s10 wheel we have been discussing here. I have sent you an email, re; how to pay etc. Cheers cams.:d
  16. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I thought I understood till you said that. :huh
  17. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    hi talk with wasp-man the non abs single disc unit pictured recently may be up for grabs ,,as wel as the double disc eunit [unless steve red snagged it already,,]

i responded to your pm already..oops forgot to ask you in the pm ABS/TCS importan t?? well it changes the approach to solving ,,good news it'll all be doable,,it's been tested and all the solutions work:deal
    woody
  18. obe01

obe01 Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much for the A60 single disc unit pictured on Wasp's S10 there Woody.

Other than my order that I have placed with yourself I would be keen on this as a back up front wheel for myself. I may need however a set of Monzter spokes to allow me to use the rim with my OEM hub.

What sort of coin are we looking at mate for the wheel???

Johnnie
  19. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    here's the run down on that A60

since wasp-man originally speced the wheel without the need for ABS/TCS that hub does not have the updated capability for the sensor ring adapter plate..
    so cost breakdown for what he does have is:

a-60 rim=$200
    ss nss spoke nipple heavy duty kit= $125
    superlace n true= $111
    Superlite ST kit= $599
    Galfer 310mm= $310
    plus S&H
    free T-shirt or hat:wink:

i will do something special for ya,,since it'll have some real life wear n tear

w
  20. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Just gotta work on the brake lines/locations/guides, and then onto the fork leg protectors.

Really pleased with the outcome here. Not for everyone, but I dont care - It suits me... So FYYFF's:lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greg.