Ask your WELDING questions here.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KTM640Dakar, Mar 5, 2007.

1. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    What did you grind it with? A standard wheel that has Aluminum oxide in it? This will make the part unweldable. :)
    I only use a burr or wheels made for grinding aluminum. Also, I make a pass with the tig torch and no filler. This floats the crap to the top so it can be ground off with the proper wheel.
    David
    Just4Fun11 likes this.
  2. David R

Oddometer:
    Lincoln book would suggest 6013 down hill. Why are you using 7018?

David
    JeffS77 and larryboy like this.
  3. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am cleaning out the shop of a family member that passed away, he was a body guy. In the attached picture what do I have and does any of it have any value? Yes, I know zero about torches/welding - be easy on me. Thanks!

[​IMG]
  4. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Well I have burnt far more 7018 than anything else in my life. And I like how it welds I tend to weld better with it.
  5. David R

Oddometer:
    I understand. I have been through many hundreds of pounds too. Vertical up on thin stuff is difficult. MIG would be quick and painless. If you read the Bible (Handbook for Welding by Lincoln) you will see for stick on thin stuff, 6013 was made for it.

David
    JeffS77 likes this.
  6. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I'll get a few pounds and give it a go. I'm just a hobbyist and self taught by trial and error but feel like I'm doing ok and am willing to try new things IMG_20190530_105939860.jpg IMG_20190530_105855382.jpg

I'm sure I'll get flamed but this is some seat mount work in what is basically a demo derby type car . Sometimes you gotta use what you got. Sad thing is this is better work than the wire feed welding the original "cage" builder did :arg
  7. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Just bought some 1/8" Forney 6013 to give a go
  8. Just4Fun11

Just4Fun11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply. Hmmm yes I did use a contaminated grinding disc, butttt I did use a brand new ss toothbrush to clean it up with.. all the gussets I used a portaband & 2 files. Sounds like I should have used just the new ss brush. I’ll tell him to run the torch over it and clean it up with the right tools
  9. Just4Fun11

Oddometer:
    3D573C07-7006-4A0A-98E2-5618A1C421FB.jpeg
    I’m almost sure it was 6061 or 7075, I was making skid plates and rob north welded this up. That shark fin/gussets were out of the remaining stock.
    I’m not experienced enough to know what the different properties of each are, only that the higher the number was better for abrasion resistance, especially when heat treated.
    Thanks for your input.
  10. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Not your fin, the base material...caliper stand.
    Just4Fun11 likes this.
  11. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Since no one replied what you have are a collection of torch tips and some main bodies from the pic they seem to be what some refer to as jewwlers tips mainly for fine flame control to enable pinpoint welding or brazing basically a nice assortment of welding nozzles and stuff to clean them with etc

A complete kit is 100 bucks so not a whole lot of money there but good collection for someone getting started with gas welding

E97E1A6C-9352-43F2-AEEA-8F4DCABF8000.png
    SourKraut and ER70S-2 like this.
  12. David R

Oddometer:
    The aluminum oxide is embedded in the base material. It will screw up the weld unless that layer of aluminum is ground off with the proper wheel, or filed, or a bur. I run the carbide single cut burr at a low speed so it does not load up. If you use chalk on a file it will not load up with aluminum. Its probably not weldable until its re cleaned. You are going to piss off the guy doing the job. :)

David
  13. Just4Fun11

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the responses to my inquiry. I very much appreciate the way in which the people who respond here apply their knowledge to the challenges posed. The explanations used without making a novice like myself feel like a total dufus have me subscribing to this thread just for the tricks and tips gleaned reading your responses.
    Thank you very, very much.

After further consultation the two materials might be welded together but the differences in the materials would probably break at the weak points upon contact with rocks in competition. Well I tried to save my racing enthusiast mom friend from purchasing the $155 scotts shark fin.
    larryboy likes this.
  14. franko58

franko58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used GLASS cheaters. It helped to get rid of ghost images. They are made with two separate lenses. It should be possible to open up the frame and reassemble it with the lenses you need. The frames are thicker than the plastic cheaters, and even different manufactures have different thickness of the glass cheater frames.
  15. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    @Just4Fun11 to save my racing enthusiast mom friend from purchasing the $155 scotts shark fin.[/QUOTE]

Put a want to buy ad in fle market make sure to include year make model of bike
    Just4Fun11 likes this.
  16. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need to buy a good helmet for my mig and tig foolery. If you were going to buy a high end helmet today what would you get?
  17. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    Jackson Nex-gen
  18. David R

Oddometer:
    Every thing I own is RED. But I use a Miller Digital Elite. I have two.

David

Bought a Top of the line Lincoln. It sucked.
  19. Dagofast

Dagofast Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer:
    My big bottle of 75/25 argon/co2 on my mig ran out today. I can't exactly remember the last time I filled it but 2 of the store locations I used to frequent were gone before I finally wised up and called ahead to make sure the 3rd one was still there and open. Counter guy told me they are busier than ever but closing store fronts. Seemed counter-intuitive. Then he rang up the sale and damn! When the hell did welding gas get so expensive? $80 for a refill! That is double what I remember paying. And they claim there is no inflation.
  20. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should price helium, if you think 75/25 is expensive!