Ask your WELDING questions here.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KTM640Dakar, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Dagofast

Dagofast Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer:
    The counter guy told me they can only sell helium to hospitals and doctors offices.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? Interesting, I wonder where they get helium to fill balloons then?
  3. Dagofast

Oddometer:
    Around here, you don't. For at least a year now.
  4. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I priced out a bottle of tri-mix (helium, argon, co2) a few months back...that was a reality check! Needless to say, I didn’t buy a tank.
  5. caycek5

caycek5 Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer:
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    And yet you can buy it specifically to fill balloons at Target? This belongs in a WTF thread.
  7. Dagofast

Oddometer:
  8. Dagofast

Oddometer:
  9. caycek5

caycek5 Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer:
    I know a couple of months ago a friend’s wife sent us on a mission to get a tank and we were able to. It was in the card, party, stationary section.

I have also heard in the past that the US is pretty much the only nation where helium is available like this, that most nations it is a scientific or industrial gas not for a child’s play toy.
  10. Dagofast

Oddometer:
    With the huge reserves the US government used to stockpile almost gone, I think the days that helium that is used for parties are coming to an end for the USA as well. The cost will likely become prohibitive if not actual legislation banning anything but medical/scientific/industrial uses. It seems doubtful that any privately funded companies will ever be able , let alone willing to provide a vast & economical supply like the one we have lost.
  11. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The solution for the helium shortage is to start filling party balloons with hydrogen. It is readily available and a real ice breaker at slow parties
  12. blue72beetle

blue72beetle Look at my Wee

Oddometer:
    Here's a question for the welders...

I bought a set of crash bars for my Connie 14, but they didn't come with any mounting hardware. One of the rear engine mounting bolts gets replaced with a special bolt that's longer to accommodate the bars. This bolt is a special bolt with a hex shaft on one end. I contacted the company that makes the bars (they no longer make em) and they couldn't help me out with the hardware.
    One option I'm entertaining is buying two stock bolts, cutting one in half, then welding a section in to make it the correct length. My question is, would this weaken the bolt to the extent that it shouldn't be done? It gets torqued to 44 lb/ft.

[​IMG]
  13. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Threaded hexagonal rod. Cut to length, thread it on and tack weld into place.
  14. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    I think you would be better off to cut two hardened bolts. Grind to a point, and tig weld them wih a good rod (E80sD2). Heat the weled area and more to low cherry red and quench in oil when done. You can make sure it is straight when red.

David
  15. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about all thread, thread a coupling nut down to the right spot and tack weld it then put a nut on the end and tack it.
    44 foot pounds sounds like a lot for a bolt that long are you sure it’s not NM’s.... big difference
  16. blue72beetle

Oddometer:
    I thought about that, using an all thread and tacking some nuts on it.

The hex portion goes into a collar which is then turned counter-clockwise to draw the engine against the frame, torqued to 11 foot pounds. Then the nut is torqued to 44.

[​IMG]
  17. David R

Oddometer:
    All thread is grade 2. Can you just lengthen the exhisting bolt?

David
  18. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    McMaster has 10.9 and 12.9 grade all-thread. It looks like the hex portion is used to screw out a collar so as to remove the gap between engine and frame. If so, a hex coupling nut on the all-thread would work although you may have to reduce the hex dimension to get it to fit the collar.

Here's another idea. Can you use the stock bolt to tighten the collar against the frame and then replace the stock bolt with a longer one (or all-thread) of the length needed for the crash bars?
  19. blue72beetle

Oddometer:
    Maybe. My only concern is that over time the collar could loosen up. Kawasaki must think it's important enough to be properly torqued or they wouldn't have put such a process in the manual.

I'll try to find someone that can properly weld the bolt and make it longer, if not, then I'll try an all thread route.
  20. David R

Oddometer:
    IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

Shipped it yesterday priority.

It’s hollow.

David
    thewbee and ER70S-2 like this.