Ask your WELDING questions here.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KTM640Dakar, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the tings I learned in welding school is that EVERY welder has it's own personality. The school had a combination of multiple Lincoln, Miller, Hobart and Linde machines. There were crappy machines and good machines from each manufacturer. After a while you would try to get in early so you could put your hood in a booth with a machine you got along with.
    akaDigger likes this.
  2. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Every place of employment has a different welder, it takes a few real bad looking welds to get the machine sorted for you....your new workmates think you can't weld for shit.
  3. Pipefighter76

Pipefighter76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yea, I always spin the dials around when I get done using ours so the next guy has to figure it out all over again.
    For someone that knows what’s up, this takes about two minutes. 5 for mig. 10 min for tig.
  4. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    Guilty of switching the stick welder on AC when done. :)

David
  5. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Not nearly as much fun as swapping the peddle in your booth for the n00b's peddle in the booth behind you. Sit back and watch his foot on your peddle and when he gives a little movement to start the weld, mash down on his peddle to the floor and don't let up until at least a couple of seconds after his foot is completely off of yours! They can almost never figure out what is going on! Be careful of who you prank, sometimes paybacks are a real bitch!
    larryboy and caycek5 like this.
  6. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Or turning the torch oxy of the gas axe off - except the young guys don't know how to use it anyway, and control the oxy with the torch knob. Bugger, thwarted, they never even noticed !
  7. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm going to replace these common parts in hopes of fixing my welder. If not, I'm going to get another welder, possibly going back to red.

P8110832.JPG
  8. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Well, after an hour of work and the world's worst solder job, the parts are in. Good thing I took plenty of pictures of the connections as there were a lot and my memory is so so. But happy to report it works now. Not sure which of the 5 parts fixed it, just glad it is. I'll have to try it out a little more this weekend to make sure.
    Kikemon and ER70S-2 like this.
  9. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Well, crap welding.

P8180851.JPG

Trash metal not cleaned, just testing the welder. I failed and so did the welder. I could not control the speed, came out on full speed ahead. I have to replace the speed control potentionmeter, tested bad.
  10. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    You have to be able to see the the difference between molten flux and molten rod & base material.
  11. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Yes, the wire came out too fast to create the puddle. I did take the switch apart and doesn't look that complicated.
  12. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Well, I tried a good testing potentiometer speed didn't change. Ohm tested transistors, new one tested same as the old one. That Eastwood 135 fr $269 delivered is looking better and better. Found a Lincoln 140 selling for $347 and a Hobart 140 for $399. On a budget, but really don't want to buy another in a few years.
  13. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Question about welding a aluminum bicycle swingarm , should it be heat treated afterwards? How does one heat treat something like that ?
  14. David R

Oddometer:
    Just weld it.

David
    NitroAcres and dogsslober like this.
  15. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Do you know the grade of Alu? Heat treatment requirements vary. A lot of bicycle parts are 6061 T6 & heat treatment will make it a lot stronger. If you have a large enough, hot enough oven T6 heat treatment is pretty simple, look it up.

Cheers
    Clint
  16. Hertz13

Hertz13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure, the raw materials are in T6 condition but after welding the HAZ is not. I would wager that bicycle manufacturers don’t heat treat the entire frame after welding as they likely have acceptable strength in the as welded condition. And that they would have to deal with the distortion that would inevitably happen on the thin aluminum weldments.

Also keep in mind that your filler metal is not 6061. The common weld wire alloys 4043 and 5356 are not even heat treatable. If you really do require restoring the T6 condition after welding you need to pick a filler metal able to achieve T6.
    CodyY and mb289 like this.
  17. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Good point on the filler metal. But given this thing has broken once, making it as strong as possible after the repair is probably a good idea. Adding some bracing etc could be an alternative. My experience with 6061 bicycle parts comes from having a mate weld up a broken MTB seat bracket years back. I doubt a heat treatable filler was used. At the time I had access to a suitable oven, so I figured that trying T6 couldn't hurt. The part held up for many more years of riding under me & then the heavier mate i gave the bike to when I upgraded.

Cheers
    Clint
  18. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    if your concerned about strength after the weld add a fillet plate over the area if possible in addition to a gussett
  19. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    4643 for post heat treated welds..on 6061-T6
  20. David R

Oddometer:
    5356 cannot be re heated over 150f or it can develop cracks.

We use 4043 for everything. We are a small simple shop.

David
    YesRush likes this.