Ask your WELDING questions here.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KTM640Dakar, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I figured anyone with a welding rod for their screen name, would have. I was thinking more about those guys here without as much exposure to tips and techniques.

Oh, the high frequency “soft start” works too!
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  2. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is why I spoke up, to confirm your point. :beer It's helpful for those of us who don't weld enough to learn heat control through arc length. Many of my projects are brackets, widgets and gizmos which are small enough that a sustained bead will melt the part, hence my decision to step up to the cost of a TIG.

RE my screen name - before I found the ADV site, I was a voracious student of welding, reading everything I could find and I learned a lot of the science of welding over the years. Unfortunately only a little of that knowledge translated into skill. :( There's no substitute for helmet time and as a hobby weldor, that just doesn't happen. :cry When I picked my screen name, I didn't intend to misrepresent myself (but that's what happened :shog), I just had welding on the brain.
    thewbee and Strong Bad like this.
  3. MNdirt

MNdirt less than 1% juice

Oddometer:
    Spent the majority of last week at work tacking up some shit and laying around 680ish feet of 3/8" bead with .052 metal core, all of in the form of 15" long continuous welds.

Around half way through the right side of my back started aching like a bitch. After a few hours a little voice in my head said "switch to your left hand, dumbass". Pain disappeared and after a few beads my left handed welds were more or less identical to my right handed ones.

Just a reminder to work on weak hand skills once in a while. Nice to be able to switch up when fatigue or position calls for it.
    Whodatschrome and ER70S-2 like this.
  4. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Switching hands is a good practice. I sometimes felt that I welded better using my off hand because it made me think, rather then just relying on muscle memory.
    MNdirt likes this.
  5. Stinky151

Stinky151 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I miss welding so much it’s killing me! I am storing and have use of my old AHP for a bit, having fun turning my old harbor freight 5 drawer tool box into a welding cart. Replaced the uprights with 3/16ths angle iron, shelves on one side for a tombstone and eventually another tig and rack on the other side for my bottles. Going to add a clamp rack and a few other details.....

It’s nice to get a little hood time. I need to get 240 power so I can run the tombstone.

Anyone wanna trade a nice lead dispersal device for a tig?
  6. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    re: auto darkening helmets

I’ve been using a Viking AD helmet for about 5 years now, did a lot of MiG and spool gun work last year, and then none in the last 5 months. Got the machine out today to weld up, of all things, a shortened kickstand for a friend’s FJR. I had picked up a new battery for the helmet last week since the original had never been replaced. Before swapping the battery I noted that I was getting the low batt signal when I did the “test” button.

Anyway, started working and for the first second or two, all was good, then it was like the helmet switched off and I was looking at the arc without any darkening. Checked my settings, and started again, same thing happened. Very uncomfortable. Grabbed my old helmet and finished up but was having trouble seeing, as I am now, from the flashes.

I’ve got it set at almost full sensitivity and shade 12. I’ve been thru the owners manual and looked online. Do I have it set up wrong? I’m pretty sure this is how I was using it last year building a couple trailers and no problem then. Shouldn’t I be able to look at the arc, at least indirectly? Should I send it to Lincoln and have them check it over? Up until today it’s been the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever worn and no issues with the darkening.

757763A0-BAC0-48D4-AE09-0ECEB6F9F75B.jpeg
  7. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I wanted to post up my experience using the Blue Demon Flux-cored stainless steel welding wire. This stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G5GHA7E/

It's positive electrode, even though it's a flux-cored wire. It makes nice welds with very minimal slag and almost no spatter. You do have to run it hotter than you think. In fact, hot and fast is the way to go with this wire. I welded an O2 sensor bung onto thinwall exhaust tubing and it performed flawlessly. No gas at all, and I got a spatter-free weld with only a dash of slag, which came off with a stainless wire brush. With normal flux-cored wire I have to hammer the crap out of the weld to get all the slag off. I'm pretty impressed. The wire is not cheap, but it's cheaper than taking it somewhere and having it TIG welded.

Charles.
  8. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    Piney, set your sensitivity to lo.

Looking at the arc through the helmet will not burn your eyes, the UV is filtered out.

I had a lincoln helmet. Hated it. I use Miller and all my equipment is Lincoln.

Everybody has their preference.

David
  9. Hertz13

Hertz13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

why would he set his sensitivity to lo if he has trouble getting the ADF to darken? He should set it to HI meaning highly sensitive to bright light, which he has done.

@PineyMountainRacing with those settings, your helmet should darken if you look at the sun or even bright fluorescent lights and should stay darkened. Are you sure there wasn’t something, like your hands, covering part of the sensors while you were trying to weld? If the sensors were unobstructed and you have a fresh battery in the ADF, then your helmet is defective.
  10. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    My auto darkening helmet, when set to high, even darkens if I snap my fingers in front of it. Not sure what causes that, but it darkens for it.

Charles.
  11. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    well crap, I’m a dumbass :baldy

I have the mechanism installed into the helmet backwards, sry my first post here had to be a major fail :muutt
    Going out to finish up my welding. Thanks for the reply’s and suggestions. When I saw @Hertz13 mentioned blocking the sensor I pulled the helmet back out and duh...
    YesRush, ER70S-2 and Reddog* like this.
  12. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl Thanks fer fessin' up, we're just :permazot :permazot :permazot guys after all.
  13. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    IMG_1425.JPG

I have been busy building aluminum things. I will try to visit here more often. I was going to comment to the helmet guy about putting the battery in upside down which can also happen by mistake.
    Whodatschrome, mrsdnf and ER70S-2 like this.
  14. mitchntx

mitchntx Visit The wick in Seattle

Oddometer:
    I have a Jackson AD Nextgen series helmet. Bought it close to 20 years ago I guess.

The last 10 years I don't weld as much as I used to. So the lid sits around a lot.

Today, I needed to weld some purlins and I couldn't get it turn on.

I swapped batteries ... nothing. Batteries checked good with 3.2V DC each.

Do cartridges just die?
  15. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much the same here, mine is a bit over 20 (Sellstrom Phantom). I replaced the corroded batteries :( and only get 'action' if I bang the lens in my palm. The negative contact is waaaaayyyyyyy down in the lens and I can't get to it to burnish (it's not a straight shot) and I'm wondering if I can justify a new helmet at this time in my life and with as little welding as I've been doing. :gerg
  16. Hertz13

Hertz13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure it’s entirely possible for them to just quit working after that long in a not so climate controlled area. It is a piece of electronic equipment after all.

If you don’t weld much, Get yourself a cheap fixed shade and never worry about it again. The color is nicer than cheap or old autodarkening helmets as well.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  17. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha... I got a TIG and was eager to burn up some 7018 electrodes. I couldn't get it to do much of anything. Then I remembered about using the foot pedal and once i unplugged the pedal it ran great. :shog

20191009_142347.jpg
  18. mitchntx

mitchntx Visit The wick in Seattle

Oddometer:
    Good point ...

A replacement cartridge is about $100.
    A fixed Jackson with large view area is about $50.
  19. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There should be a control, on my old Syncrowave it's called Output Contactor (On) and is just an old school toggle switch - I can leave the pedal plugged in.

Fourth from the left, bottom row -
    [​IMG]
    Strong Bad likes this.
  20. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't figure a way to turn it off except to unplug it. Switching between 2T and 4T didn't do anything.

20191009_144318.jpg

I just saw like 8 old Syncrowaves on a trailer heading north yesterday.