Ask your WELDING questions here.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KTM640Dakar, Mar 5, 2007.

1. HOTPASS

HOTPASS F*ck cancer.

Oddometer:
    Everlast are solid machines, with acceptable CS based in San Francisco. The others have very spotty quality and near zero CS.

Personally I’d look for a used Lincoln for Hobart 140 both are great machines set up with smaller wire and mix gas. Especially for your use. .023 wire all day

I’ve had probably 5-6 of each pass through my hands over the years as they make great little beat around machines. Usually pay around $350 for a lightly used one. I’ve since moved on to ESAB rebels for that use and love them.

As much as I’m reluctant to recommend them, the newer HF green titanium and orange Vulcan line is machines is...acceptable for home use. I’ve used a few of them and was impressed. They’ve really stepped up their game.

Admittedly I buy for commercial use and local CS and parts is as important as performance.

Any of my inverters set up for 110v/120v can usually get near 125amps before blowing a breaker depending on voltage drop and extension cords. That’s really impressive over transformer machines. Plenty for body work.
    CodyY likes this.
  2. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Thanks HP, I didn't realize Everlast was near by. I'll give them a call. I did see on CL someone selling an unused Eastwood 135 with bottle for $150, but heard their CS is really bad. I'll give Everlast a call.
  3. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Replying to my own post to thank those who responded. Fixed, braced, looks great and solid. First snow bank at 20mph will tell for sure, but seems solid as a rock. Lots cheaper than a bloody new ATV and blade! (I did consider buying a tractor though....)

YesRush and ER70S-2 like this.
  4. vtwin

Oddometer:
    I went down to Everlast yesterday. That little 140E is small and light. It's also 10% off for black Friday. Unfortunately, they are out of stock and a new shipment won't be in until December. I think it will work out for me. I'll still check CL for alternatives in the meantime .
  5. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Inverter is definitely the way to go for a smaller 110 machine.

I dont trust the klutch boxes, I had 2 fail straight out of the box before my first Hobart 140.

If you could swing it, Tractor supply usually puts the Hobart 190 on sale around Christmas. Having 220 capabilities really makes life easier.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  6. Bigeyedfish

Bigeyedfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a small inverter, dual voltage is a really nice feature. On a bigger machine that's hard to move, I don't find it as useful. My ESAB 150 is run 220V almost all the time, but it sure is nice to be able to plug into 110V on occasion.
    YesRush likes this.
  7. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.decksdirect.com

My sister and I installed a couple of decks this summer. High quality stuff, too. Maybe you could use this site for price comparison? Maybe even for some sections?
  8. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Being that Everlast is out of the 140E, Northern Tool dropped the price of the Hobart 140 to $488, free shipping and $25 in a gift card. So, for roughly $60 more, I can get the Hobart. Only good until tomorrow. No pressure of course.
    CodyY likes this.
  9. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    You are FAR better off with the Hobart.

David
  10. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Hobart.
    I got a Handler 210MP (it does both 110/220)
    I have used it on material up to 1/2" multipass and it managed it with no problem.
    And down to material thin as 16ga.

For the money it is hard to beat this machine
  11. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm seriously considering picking up either a Handler 140 or a Lincoln Easy MIG 140 for Christmas this year. From what I've heard they're pretty equal in quality? No real heavy use planned, just something to complement my daughter's forge, fabricate goofy things around the garage, etc.
  12. DSM8

Oddometer:
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  13. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Ok, I ordered it and they charged me sales tax, not a deal breaker. $533 delivered and a $25 gift card for a future sale. Should be the last welder I need and my wife says, "Merry Christmas".:crash
  14. vtwin

Oddometer:
  15. Coma

Oddometer:
    I’ve run across a Lincoln Weldpak140HD which I bought pretty cheap. It’s a110 machine that needs a 25amp circuit from what I’ve read. I plan to buy a 25/75 Ar/Co bottle for steel. Eventually I want to do aluminum and stainless. I’ve done a little bit of flux wire welding. I have a helmet.

What else do I need?
  16. DSM8

Oddometer:
    For AL you are going to either need and AC/DC machine that does tig or get a mig that can be equipped with a spool gun.
    Stainless depends on what kind general welding I believe can be done with mig changing out the gas and wire appropriate to the application.
    For sanitary welds like in food service then you need to purge and stuff I dont think Mig is a good choice but I tig weld most stuff so dont know specifically about that one.

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-solutions/Pages/compact-welders.aspx
  17. David R

Oddometer:
    We JUST bought a new Lincoln 140 MP. It does mig, tig and stick. 110 volt. I bought it because it has a 60% duty cycle @ 95 amps. $762.00
    Hard to beat. Unfortunately it does not work right. Control panel seems to be off for MIG. A Lincoln rep came to my shop today to "Show me how to use it". He left with it saying it was not right. Volts were always too high for the settings. It would not weld 20 gauge with out blowing holes through it no matter where you set it. We had .023 wire, and C/25 gas @ 8 lph (about 17 cfh).

It would weld 1/8" set on "C" 6. That is as light as it would go and keep some kind of arc.
    Set to 22 ga, it would jump from 13 to 22 volts back and forth. Set to "J" 9, it would run at 22 volts on 1/4".

This is to replace my second SP 100. I have had 2 in 30 years.

David
  18. David R

Oddometer:
    We bought a Praxair Avenger. Looks like the same machine except green. Identical drive roll system. This one will weld 20 gauge no sweat and has digital amp and volt readouts. It also has a spot timer. $399.00

We will see what happens to the Lincoln.

david
  19. vtwin

Oddometer:

As I understand, the HD doesn't stand for Heavy Duty, it stands for Home Depot. It could still be a good machine though.
  20. Coma

Oddometer:
    That’s where the neighbor bought it. He said he’d only used it a couple of times. For $150 I thought I’d see how it works.
    vtwin likes this.