Assero Gear review - 1000d uncoated Cordura for the Tropics

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by cblais19, Jul 18, 2018.

1. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought a review of some gear I found in my endless web searching might be of interest to some folks here, especially those of us who live in tropical or tropic-like environments. Assero Gear (link) is a small company run by a Brit expat in Hong Kong with a workshop in Indonesia. The owner decided to design gear specifically for the conditions faced in a tropical environment: high heat, humidity, and frequent showers that come and go. As such, the priority is on breathable garments that are quick drying. All their products use synthetics, with the primary materials being 1000d uncoated Cordura (same stuff Motoport uses in their textile jackets), a basic high flow polyester mesh, and a glove made primarily of Keprotec. I really like that they are super transparent about what they use, as you can see on their simple Materials & Technology page, where they note for instance some of the myths about SuperFabric and what it actually is.

Some additional construction notes: they use a lapped (hidden) double seam in impact areas, the same Coates nylon thread I’ve seen Held use, include SasTec L2 armor, and reinforce mesh areas with strips of Cordura to prevent the garment from bursting in a get-off.

I ordered the Urbana jacket for $275, since it had a nice simple look and was majority 1000d Cordura with a double layer at the elbows, upper chest, and shoulders. It has a band of mesh running around the chest & back, plus a large panel on either side for additional airflow. I took it for a ride just now at a temperature of ~87F with 75% humidity, and it was completely comfortable. Very impressed at how well the 1000d breathes, and the mesh helps with overall airflow. It’s a fairly “fitted” look, much like a close-fitting casual jacket. The 1000d Cordura is also much softer to the hand then the stuff Klim for instance uses in most of their gear, although not as soft as the super high denier “Tenex” nylon Spidi uses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Detail of front mesh + doubled elbow patch.

[​IMG]

Side mesh, not visible but there’s a bit strip of nylon ~ halfway up.

I also ordered a pair of their double layer Cordura “jeans”, unfortunately the thigh area on the 32’s is too snug for my massive thighs. I’m going to be reaching out to James and will see if a 34 might work, and I’ll probably order their gloves as well. Living in Virginia can resemble the tropics, and it looks like this gear is a great combination of abrasion strength + airflow and comfort. I have a suit of Rukka Cordura AFT on its way, so I’ll update this post with a comparison when that shows up.

It did take the better part of a month for the gear to reach me from Indonesia, however for those of you who live in SE Asia you may be able to find it at dealers locally and shipping would be much faster.
    dragos and NJ Moto like this.
  2. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    I'll be looking for new gloves soon, thanks.
  3. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    Very interesting gear. Thanks for sharing.
  4. dwenglis

dwenglis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what pants are those in the pics?
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rokker Black Jacks.
  6. saintego

saintego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So how do you compare it to Rukka? I have Rukka Cordura AFT and thinking about switching it to something more protective, while I made holes to my pants while sliding in 50km/h
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s nothing like AFT tbh, I have the BMW AFT jacket and it’s nearly seethrough mesh - 1000d Cordura in this weave is a solid fabric, but without a polyurethane coating on the back it does allow a small amount of air to transpire between. Honestly comfortable up to the mid 30s c or mid 80sf I’d say. That’s why the company also offers a normal mesh jacket (except still using 1000d Cordura in all impact areas) for the really hot days.

Another option, depending on your climate, would be the Klim Marrakesh - it’s 1000d Cordura as well, but with a stretch weave that allows a bit more airflow.
  8. saintego

saintego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK so in that case it seems im stuck to Cordura aft or maybe klim induction
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you’re shelling out for Rukka gear, also check out the BMW Rallye stuff - it’s incredibly comfortable in high temps as well. Also, the BMW Venting set is Cordura AFT, with a nicer styling. It’s what I’ve wound up with for my hottest temp suit.
  10. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wanted to check out the jackets, and the web site is gone. Boo!
    levain likes this.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it gone again? It's been up and down over the last year and a bit, but they're a small company - wouldn't be surprised if they go under :(.
  12. saintego

saintego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before I left to Thailand I had chance to check klim Marrakesh jacket. In Thailand I found assero pants and jacket in the shop. I must say that Marrakesh seems to breath better (closer to cordura aft), it's much more comfortable due to stretch fabric. Assero feels some kind weird. When I put jacket I had protectors on inner site of elbows, I needed to twist them in right position. But jacket was bit too big for me. Pants seems bit better, except knee protectors. I think I'll rather take a risk and wait for Marrakesh pants even it cost twice the price
  13. saintego

saintego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was in Chiang Mai
    Helmet Shop Chiang Mai (Number One)
    134/1 Sridonchai Rd, Chang Khlan Sub-district, อ.เมืองเชียงใหม่ Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand
    +66 53 280 840
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/LgKWJCzWxkm9KaDh6
    They had jacket here, it was too big for me(without back protector). It was some xxxl of their jacket with stripe of mesh on the chest. I'm not xxxl guy so I was not surprised.
    They had pants in their second shop. I had only one knee protector there and it was rolled, so it fit weird. Maybe it'll be better once it'll settle down. That Knox was quite big. Pants looks and also feels like thick black jeans. They were not stretchy at all and I had feeling they are too restricting in that size. They didn't have other size there.
    Hip protectors are in pockets that one cannot close.
    I was staying in front of fan I felt some kind of breeze. Also I felt bit of warm air when I blowed through the fabric.
    I think that set is good for that money(5500thb for pants, 4000 thb for jacket). It felt bit weird, but just because of materials I'd trust it more than most of other clothes in that price range. There were no visible mistakes in sewing. Just I felt in love with Marrakesh that I tried few days it before.
    BTW assero was not communicating at all. I tried to write them messages on page, email, Facebook, all without response
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They’ve closed down their business at this point. Anything you see is leftover stock.