Assiniboine Pass AB/BC Border - Doable on a Dual?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MooseKnuckle, May 4, 2006.

1. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been reading up and trying to figure out if any of Elisabeth, Cerulean, Sunburst or Magog lakes in the Mt. Assiniboine provincial park on the AB/BC border are accessible by motorcycle. I've ready about helicoptering in and hiking trails that start as logging roads then change but can't seem to find any riding info for the area. Does anyone have any experience and know if this is possible? If not, are there nearby dual motorcycle-accessible places that are similar. I'm looking for camping (roughing it - no facilities) with a view in the area? Doesn't this area look awesome?

[​IMG]
  2. dastick

dastick dastick

Oddometer:
    You wont be able to do any of that withen the park. Theres lotsa places in around golden and Invermere though.
  3. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions for starting points that I can look up on the web? I've driven through the Golden a few times while travelling between Vancouver and Calgary but I'm still fairly unfamiliar with the area. Thanks.
  4. dastick

dastick dastick

Oddometer:
    Dont really have any specifics, but the nice thing is they are out of the park so you just explore and when you dont feel like exploring no more...set up camp. Theres alot of loging roads that I dont even think are on the map.
  5. Surlyguy

Surlyguy Guest

Hey Moose,
    Pick up a map book called "backcountry map book" for southern alberta.
    You can get these at any outdoor store or book store. Thats the best resource for finding those old logging roads and interesting places.
    Of course it is adventure riding and some of those roads never existed in the first place.

Sounds like your on a thumper. Have you tried North Fork Pass?
    You access it off the forestry trunk road south and it dumps you by fording, BC. Pretty fun. KLR and F650 Dakar is about as big a big that will make it over.
    I also have some GPS tracks of it.

Tried going into the Ghost Wilderness for the day? It's a road but it's beautiful and ends up right outside the banff park boundry.

I'm heading out this afternoon for a short break in ride of the new bike to Maclean creek area and maybe Gorge creek if your interested.

Blair
  6. dastick

dastick dastick

Oddometer:
    Yes, as Surlyguy said, pick up the backroads mapbook. It is an excellent way to find many interesting places. They have them for Alberta and parts of B.C. I have seen them in Chapters and in Safeway, but I am sure they are available in many other places also. Are you trying to get in a camping trip before the Baja adventure?
  7. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quite possibly. Leaving for Baja next Friday so that only leaves this weekend. It depends on how hectic this weekend becomes. I need to transfer my workload and train a co-worker so I don't know how long that will take.

Yeah, I got the KLR. I love this bike. I would love to get out there this afternoon but I think I'll be too busy with work. I've actually ridden up to Mockingbird Lookout last month and that was awesome! That steep rocky trail up to the lookout was sure fun to ride up.
  8. dastick

dastick dastick

Oddometer:
    Its also fun to go really fast down on a mountain bike:evil
  9. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey surleyguy,

I might be able to get off early today, when are you going on that run? I'l PM ya.

Ryan