astoria to Newport, WA

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by markherman, Jun 4, 2004.

1. markherman

markherman Louisianaman Supporter

Oddometer:
    same guys new question: is any one section of the road from Astoria to Newport considered the best or better than the rest? is traffic slow due to motorhomes, sightseers, etc.? how long would it take to ride this entire section under normal circumstances. remember, 10 old guys just riding, no crotch rockets, etc.
  2. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    When are you making the trip?
    I like riding the coast hwy..it's a pretty ride..there will be lots of motorhomes during the summer though.
    Why stop in Newport?..it's not much to look at..I live 20 min south in waldport/Yachats...if I were you I'd take the coast hwy..before tillamook there is a turnoff loop that takes to the ocean and towards Pacifiuc city..definitely take that route..it will throw you back up towards the end of tillamook...if you like airplanes there is an airplane museunm in Tillamook also a great ice cream factory! worth the stop if you like ice cream. In newport eat at Tidal Raves...it's on the ocean..great food...or go to the ROGUE brewery for a tasty refreshment and good lunch(no cell phones allowed). Also in Pacific Cuty on the ocean is a great lunch stop..The pelican Brewery. If I were you i would ride through newport and stay in Yachats! it's the prettiest village on the coast and i can give you either Hotel/motel/camping reccs. The coast ride from yachats to Florence is about as pretty as it gets until you get to Ca. let me know if I can help..i live in Waldport and have my shop in Yachats..maybe we can hook up for a little ride or lunch! :thumb
  3. wesfnw

wesfnw portland,or

Oddometer:
    same guys new question: is any one section of the road from Astoria to Newport considered the best or better than the rest? is traffic slow due to motorhomes, sightseers, etc.? how long would it take to ride this entire section under normal circumstances. remember, 10 old guys just riding, no crotch rockets, etc.

mark,
    I travel the oregon coast for my work every two weeks or so & the summer traffic is a nightmare.
    Try to get an early start if you wanna ride 101.
    When the traffic gets heavy you can always turn east & wind down thru the coast range.
    For great seafood in Seaside & Cannon Bch try Doogers!
    Between Portland & Crater Lake are the most awesome Cascade Range Mtn roads.
    I only mention it because the thought of traveling on 101 during the summer makes me cringe.
    wes