At the risk of starting a holy war....soft bags for my 2011GSA - advice?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Cletuspapa, Aug 15, 2020.

1. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. Their soft bags DON’T work with their racks for my bike. No option for me but I’m set now anyway - I did look at those a while back.
  2. 93mph

93mph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMO the general rule of thumb is the more likely a tip over the more soft panniers make sense. Obviously off-road trips have a much higher likelihood for tip overs, which argues more for soft panniers.

The first advantage is foot/ankle safety. Off-road tip over injuries often occur when the foot reflexively goes out to stop the fall, the bike goes over, and the hard pannier lands on foot/ankle.

The second advantage is monetary. Landing on a soft panniers disperses the force and causes less damage to panniers and rack/bike frame and mounting points. The cost of soft panniers is often less than repair/replace of hard panniers, frame, and mounting points.

I just completed the Idaho BDR in July with a set of 2018 gen. Wolfman Rocky Mountain 35L Panniers on my 2014 GSA and they worked great (pic below). IMO Mosko Moto’s are the best and correspondingly the most $$. There are a lot of brand options out there with different pros and cons, and price points. If cost isn’t a factor go with the MM Backcountry 35L’s.

Best of luck!

FC1CD488-1726-4BDD-95F3-B2715CED2B01.jpeg 914F377E-9463-4B6F-9464-305F4078EED9.jpeg
    Cletuspapa and Covert like this.
  3. Cletuspapa

Cletuspapa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update - as much as I would love to give them my $$$ the Bumont's won't work on my 2011GS/A without their racks - Not changing the whole system out, so unless there's a hail Mary, their bags, as wonderful as they are, are out - to change to their system means they're within spitting distance of the Mosko bags. I'm waiting to hear from Kuryakn if their 24 Litre bags will fit to my factory racks as well - that is a bargain basement option - which might work 'well enough'. On the high end of the spectrum are the Lone rider bags, for right now though, they can't tell me when the new locking mechanism is going to be GA and while it's supposed to be backwards compatible, I don't relish forking out over $1K for a system then have to give them another pound of flesh for the locking mechanism as well. My buddy runs the Tusk Bags on his GS - they strap to his racks, but I think he has different a different rack than what I have on mine. Not sure if anyone gives a hoot - felt compelled to share an update - after speaking to the fine folks at Mosko, I am tempted to go that way and take the hit one time up front.
    Covert likes this.
  4. wagley

wagley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the old style Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags. I am very happy with them. I also added 2 Rollie’s and 2 bottle holders on the outside for items I want quick access to.

I like being able to pull the liners out without taking the outer bags off the bike.

I do find myself riding with the hard luggage most of the time though unless it’s a really off road focused weekend. I just miss the organization I have in the hard bags.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  5. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    For us hard case folks....whats the advantage to soft bags?
  6. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    light weight and no damage to repair in a tip-over. Off-Road focus.
    Covert, KiwiKurt and lewisjr1 like this.
  7. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    thanks! The Home Front CBO was asking for an expendiature justification beyond “its new and shiny” :D

Makes sense, really. Seems like it would have some advantages. Although locking cases are pretty nice.
    Cletuspapa and PaulBarton like this.
  8. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate having hard cases fall on my leg, while still on the bike ... rarely happens, but if it does, it's a world of pain ...
    PaulBarton likes this.
  9. jbuggyus

jbuggyus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have mosko scout 25 on my 09 gsa and they are awesome, light weight and lower profile!
    Cletuspapa likes this.