At what point does it stop being a “my shock is leaking, KTM sucks” and start being...

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Some_Dude, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity, at what point does it stop being a “my shock is leaking, KTM sucks” and start being “my shock is leaking, time for routine shock maintenance”?
    Salzig likes this.
  2. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    When the warranty expires
  3. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha, best comment i read in a while
  4. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a fair question and the easy answer has been given and since the shock is not the subject of a recall the warranty expiration is the line in the sand.

Yet the R shock has been a problem child so I would hope KTM would take that into consideration and be more likely to offer a goodwill repair within reason on a case by case basis. What was it, something like 7 blown shocks during the KTM rally out west here last year? Everyone of those bikes was only a few months old at that point.

A 12 month old shock that has been used moderately hard but not constantly raced offroad is certainly due for maintenance but that doesnt mean one should expect it to blow. I base that comment on the number of other shocks on similar bikes (KTMs included) that go 30k or more and are LONG overdue for maintenance yet still manage to retain fluid.

KTM will hopefully continue to track the issue and respond accordingly. What the dealer has to say about the condition of the bike that is brought in and the dealers credibility with KTM almost undoubtably is a factor as well.
  5. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just contact one of the WP authorized service centers and start a discussion with them...
  6. LuisGui

LuisGui Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I guess your question is on point! But in my case I’m experiencing the shock leak with only 8.000 kms (no hard off road) and still I don’t think KTM is @&$; I think they should start replacing the shocks! I’m guessing the repair offered to fulfill warranty is going to be enough until it leaks again... and by that time I will be out of warranty period!
  7. windblown101

Oddometer:
    If repaired properly by a WP service center it should be fine for a long time. They will install modified shim stacks (like ones used in the 890) which should solve the cavitation issue they were had with the earlier design.

My rebuilt shock has around 13k on it now. Still working fine.
    Venturer likes this.
  8. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny you say that.

I just had my shock done (890R) and the tuner had recently done a few 790s so I asked him what the difference was in the stack since I read they modified it for the 890.
    The result is that the difference is .....1....one...extra washer.
    LuisGui, windblown101 and offworlder like this.
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    As long as it works thats good enough for me. :)

I'm still not stoked about the rear shock in general but at least it holds fluid! :)
  10. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    As told to me by a reputable tuner is the nitrogen pressure was increased as well.
    kubcat likes this.
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    KTM had already spec'd a sharp increase in pressure by the 2nd half of 2019. I remember only because during my first shock rebuild my KTM guy was very surprised by the new spec. Don't recall what it was now but it was a big number. I'd guess they hoped the higher charge would combat the cavitation that was suspected to be killing them so quickly. When that didn't work they went back to the drawing board and made another change.

My personal speculation is that they may have not been blowing "R" shocks during testing because they were tailoring the shock based on input from the testers riding the bikes. Then they made internal changes to the shock to make it more "general public" friendly and the cavitation they unknowing introduced caught them by surprise.

I should right for a conspiracy theory rag... LOL.