ATAS Fuel Pump Filter - HowToo

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by DSM8, Aug 31, 2019.

1. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    So after all these posts of the fuel pump issues with these bikes I thought to take a preemptive strike at the problem. Like others I had the issue with the welding material (flux) coming off inside the tank and making its way into the filter. I checked mine at 4500 miles. It did not get into the pump so these are pictures of the pump removal, filter and filter sock retrofit others have written about.

Tank removal Thread

So it is really hard to tell in the pic but along these weld lines there is a white residue that forms and flakes off. This is what makes it's way into the pump and filter, it forms into a sludge like paste inside the filter and eventually kills the pump and possible the injectors if left too long I would assume.

[​IMG]

I wont go into detail how to remove the tank I already wrote a thread on that process. this is a pic of the pump being taken off the tank.

[​IMG]

When the pump is out there are 4 screws you have to remove and their affiliated wires three on one side and one on the other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is important to note the orientation of the wires and where they go.

After removing the ground screws you also have to take out the square washer that is part of what holds the whole thing together.

[​IMG]

Once done there are two hooks which have to be disengaged and then you can pry up the cover from the base.

[​IMG]

Once the pump is removed from the base you can start to get some idea as to how much crap is really in the tank and understand the problems it is causing.

This was under the filter housing.
    [​IMG]

Inside the housing

[​IMG]

and pictures of the filter itself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The filter just pops off the bottom of the pump it is pretty straight forward process. I even cut it open in my case the debris did not make it past the exterior of the filter so I caught is in time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the new filter is installed and the housing reassembled (I forgot to get a picture of the new filter installed). You then install the sock over the entire housing. Making sure the rim of the sock is fully seated against the base of the plate to which the pump is attached this will ensure you get the most effective application of the filter properties of the sock.

[​IMG]

Here it is Ziptied into place.

[​IMG]

Reinstall the pump and your good to go.
    The stuff inside the tank can be cleaned with a mild acid (vinegar works well). Others have done this and my research shows that's how most flux residue is removed and that is what this seems to be, not paint as some people have surmised because I only saw it along the weld seams.

Put it all back together and consider the matter resolved, I will prolly pull the tank one more time in another 5K miles to see how it is doing but I don't expect this to be an issue going forward. There are other threads that talk about the take cleaning etc so i am not going to delve into that subject.
    rob377, Loff, Motorwerx and 7 others like this.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I sure appreciate you guys who take the time to these kinds of helpful posts. You rock @DSM8
  3. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @DSM8 Very nicely done with pictures and all. I wish I had gone a different route for my fix. You went the right way by doing it yourself.
    DSM8 likes this.
  4. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    nicely done @DSM8
    i wonder if the regular ATs are afflicted with this. Might pull my pump for a look see when doing my valves this winter.
  5. DSM8

Oddometer:
    So since tank was off the bike i pulled the pump one more time what i did was push more of the material down around the base of the pump so it was gathered there and prevent material from
    Getting in underneath the base of the pickup recommend doing this when installed
  6. DSM8

Oddometer:
    0B2428EE-5C1D-4655-BD0C-01280C71CEDB.jpeg
    You can see the small gap thats what I eliminated pushing the sock down about another 1/2 inch
  7. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will the zip tie hold up while exposed to fuel?
  8. DSM8

Oddometer:
    It comes in the kit that s supposed too
    I used stainless wire to resecure it after i lowered the bag
  9. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks!
  10. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since @DSM8 and Greg the Pole have told you what to do I will tell you what not to do.
    Do not leave white vinegar in your tank for 4 hours as it will remove all of the coating where it is left standing. Your tank will start to rust immediately after you rinse it out.

Do not miss the oring under the fuel pump when you remove the pump from the plastic housing. Said oring will roll under your toolbox without you ever seeing it. After you put everything back together your nice bike, that is still under warranty, won't start. You check it and have fuel pressure, spark, and air. What could be wrong? You put everything back together perfectly; even took pics. After borrowing a fuel pressure tester from your buddy you will squirt gas everywhere in the garage and still only have 5 psi going to the injectors. Eventually you will notice the fuel pump is a little too wiggly and think Honda should have an oring or seal in there. About that time the wife walks into the garage and says what's this little rubber thingie do?
    Olde Phart, chasdog and Motorwerx like this.
  11. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Remember practice safe fuel pump mods
    Dont forget the rubber
    Also lube it before reassembly Vaseline works well for this i happen to have o ring specific lube which is what i used
    Jon@Camano and playinatwork like this.
  12. Jon@Camano

Jon@Camano n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all the work. It will make relatively easy work to remove and clean the ATAS tank. I will plan on installing the new filters as well. Seems a shame that Honda has dropped the ball on so many issues. Not the same Honda I remember from 20-30 years ago.

Jon
  13. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Classic.