1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Atlanta Dual Sport Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by srelegante, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Buildzall

Buildzall Rooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know a little and also listen to the speakeasy friend of friend channel.

The 200k maximum grant was ultimately awarded 167k thanks to the awsome efforts of Gartra
    "Ga Recreational Trail Riders Assoc"
    I should say that Thanks goes Fully to
    GARTRA.
    AND,
    All the volunteers that show up for the
    GARTRA Volunteer trail maintenance work days.

these volunteer work days are logged and reported and that's where the grant matching fund numbers come from to determine the total grant monies that are used to do the heavy work to MAINTAIN the OHV PARK.

GARTRA AND VOLUNTEERS EARNED THE FUNDS TO PAY THE LOWEST BID CONTRACTORS THAT WORK AT THE APPROVED FORESTRY COMMISION PROJECT LIST AT WHISSY.
    Closing the rear access was approved as low priority several years ago and as the project has evolved has increased in priority as well as having the tree growth to use accordingly.

Just to clarify for those with flamethrowers....
    Gartra does not manage nor control the contractors that are performing the work on USForestry land.
    They are contracted to, and answer to, the US Forestry service.

Gartra manages the volunteer trail maintenance work days.
    The volunteer attendance and man hours are the deciding factor for how much grant monies are awarded thru the federal programs.

Yaaay!!! to the GARTRA.

Now let's all go ride the
    GARTRA - FALL FOLIAGE DUALSPORT .
    Oct 21st. Tiger Georgia.
    Starts at the Tiger Drive in movie.

2. Buildzall

Oddometer:
    Or.....
    Let's go to Panama city Florida and ride the scavenger hunt DUALSPORT
    REPRESENT - TEAM ATLANTA
  3. Circus Bear

Circus Bear FKA oldsteed Supporter

Oddometer:
    :kumbaya... I guess the lynch mob will have to wait.
    Buildzall likes this.
  4. Buildzall

Oddometer:
    :hung :pep

#thoshaltnotlynch

but....
    Roosting douches with a douch nozzle equipped 500 is not a sin.

#SinlessRoosting.

I think we should start practicing
  5. Rob578

Rob578 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    GARTA does an AWESOME job and the report gives GARTA a lot of credit for the work that's been done at Whizzy.

I was in no way criticizing GARTA, if it wasn't for the CORA's, WATRA and the like we would have no public land to ride on.

Whissenhunt should be a much nicer place to ride after all this work is done and the locals will have those trees chainsawed out of the way in a couple of months and everything will be back to normal.
    Buildzall likes this.
  6. Buildzall

Oddometer:
    Hence the need for Douching practice
    (Wait.... is that right?)

More Roost

#DouchNozzleforDouchbags
    Rob578 likes this.
  7. Buildzall

Oddometer:
    I should have mentioned I knew that nobody was criticizing Gartra for their work. They do alot of amazing and very underappreciated work and its mostly unsung too - for us all.

( I hear a group party to whissy to schedule up )

Yaaay, GARTRA Yaaay.
    ( too much? )

I was attempting go full circle with that GARTRA /US.F./Whissy convo but, I missed a turn and a short section or two while trying to cut trail to get ahead of you annnnnnd......
    I think I might have went around a closed gate along the way.
    :evil

:thwak Wut?Doh!Wut?Doh!Wut?Doh!
    Rob578 likes this.
  8. Rob578

Oddometer:
    wasn't much of a convo........... i was just ranting and raving.

but.................wonder what they did with the balance of the grant money and matching funds??????????????????
    Buildzall likes this.
  9. Buildzall

Oddometer:
    1. GA Mtn Rider, Sep 10, 2018

[​IMG]
      GA Mtn RiderAdventurer
      Last Chance to Ride at Town Creek for 2018

Join GARTRA on Saturday October 6th, 9:00am

BEST DEAL IN GEORGIA!

FREE Camping for EVERYONE
      FREE Riding & Lunch (for volunteers)
      $5.00 per rider each day (if not volunteering)

Join GARTRA for the final workday of the season at Town Creek Saturday morning and ride in the afternoon.

Overnight “dry” camping is allowed (no water or electricity on site) with the option to ride on Sunday. Campfires are allowed.

Meet the volunteers and members of GARTRA who have contributed over $9,000 this year to keep Town Creek OPEN.

See you there!!!

LOCATION: Town Creek OHV Park, Loop B Trailhead, Greensboro GA

Suitable for off road motorcycles, dual-sports and ATVs. (sorry, no UTVs or vehicles with over 48" axel width allowed due to limitations of bridges)

JOIN GARTRA TODAY!!!

More info go to: https://www.facebook.com/GARTRA1

Town Creek OHV Trails officially close Friday October 12th due to the hunting season and reopen mid January 2019
  10. Buildzall

Oddometer:
    T
    The funds are still working.
    Started major works 2 years ago With incremental projects based on many factors - mostly government beurocrazy
  11. Buildzall

Oddometer:
    Ranting is just Like Roosting
    Cept its done on paper.

Sooooo..... Let's go ride.
  12. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    Do you have a full video going up squally? When we were there a few months ago on the 950s a couple of us made it to the bridge but it was raining pretty good and it looked sketchy for some of our group. At that point we decided to turn around as we didn’t know what the rest was like. I’d like to go back up again in a little better conditions, but wondering what the rest is like. I know at least one of the 950 guys would go back with me.
  13. Hipower90

Hipower90 I’ve breathed the mtn air, man

Oddometer:
    It gets harder t
    Gets harder as you climb it. Especially up top for the last mile or so. Vids are well known to make everything look deceptively easy, so it’s not really of any use for this subject. No vid tho. Buildzall has tons of vid.. lol
  14. Rob578

Oddometer:
    I bet it's a piece of cake on a 950
    Buildzall and Hipower90 like this.
  15. accountant

accountant Having Fun

Oddometer:
    :beer thank you Steve for all your typing and explaining the Whizzy situation very well -- :beer

I was part of the GARTRA workday last Sunday -- (always on 3rd Sunday of the month) we have keys and ride for free

a lot of trail reroutes were put in for water / erosion control -- this opens the park faster after a rain storm - with less damage

the single track now has gates to keep the "big stuff" out (billy bob is not taking these out with the chain saw -- they are monster steel pipes :hmmmmm )

there is a long bridge -- nice

TownCreek is currently under a RTP and we are accumulating hours for that -- come out on Oct 6th for the good time/work/ride (rsvp if you plan on coming, Chris needs a food count)

20180819_102612.jpg 20180819_102536.jpg
    Buildzall likes this.
  16. accountant

accountant Having Fun

Oddometer:
    If I am not mistaken

WV = $50.00 legal riders
    Whizzy = $5.00 legal riders

:hmmmmm

just thoughts from the Accountant
    :lurk
    Buildzall likes this.
  17. accountant

accountant Having Fun

Oddometer:
    OH ---
    Yes- the Park is open after TS Florence goes by :dirtdog (I was told ALL GA FS parks are closed )
    On_Call did a nice write-up on GOR of the changes

GARTRA Board Member

1997 DR350se
    2003 KTM 250exc taged **SOLD**
    2006 KTM 525exc taged
    Buildzall likes this.
  18. Rob578

Oddometer:
    Hatfield McCoy is mostly Private Property with over 600 hundreds of miles of trails, legal road access to lodging, food and fuel and a general welcoming feel. Open 24/7

Whizzy is Public Land with about 16 miles of trails when/if the work is finished. The work was funded by the Recreational Trails Program which in turn is funded by federal fuel excise taxes through a convoluted grant process. It's also subject to unannounced and arbitrary closures.

Highland Park is Private and has 90 miles of trails and costs $25.00 and has free camping.

Cost to ride per mile of trail available.
    HM = $.083
    Whizz = $.31
    HP = $.28

I am not knocking GARTA's great effort's at all. What I am questioning is the FS's decision and their means and methods to close the rear access. They spent a good portion of the grant money on work that doesn't add anything to the user experience at Whizzy.
    The FS has very detailed guidelines on reclaiming trails. None of these guidelines were followed, no where does it allow breaking trees off 6' above the ground uprooting others and generally destroying the vegetation for close to a mile, there's more potential for erosion now than there ever was before. I have to wonder if the FS's Program Manager has even been back there.

I find it very hard to believe that unauthorized access is causing such a huge problem. I still think it was done to pacify some noisy property owners and create what amounts to private hunting preserve on public land. I imagine if that road was open and the FS could get a vehicle down that back trail, that illegal food plot and deer feeder wouldn't be back there.

FYI this was finally posted yesterday morning and is still up, I don't think it's rained a 1/4" up there.

upload_2018-9-18_7-32-25.png

The sign at the entrance says it closes at 10pm. If you plan on taking an ATV and doing a little deer hunting on the south side you might want to clarify those closing times.

Just some thoughts from someone who doesn't ride as much as he would like to.
  19. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    I gave up on caring a long time ago. Can't remember the last time that I rode that I didn't go around a gate. I just remind myself that my impact is minimal and that I'll only be passing through briefly. Only gotten one ticket in 6 years of riding off road. @ohgood
  20. hangingdog hillbilly

hangingdog hillbilly Moonshiner

Oddometer: