Atlanta Dual Sport Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by srelegante, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Rob578

Rob578 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonder how many people will show up next year????
  2. Cobra5150

Cobra5150 What? Where?

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't.
  3. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what that would be like from the rider's perspective.
    I also know what is involved from the promoter's POV.

Tough spot for everyone...
    Buildzall and bones454 like this.
  4. shortman

shortman Beta 500 RS, X-Trainer 250 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks David for sharing... Have no idea why I did not receive the email but what you have posted is word for word what I had already seen in one the emails...
  5. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    Wow...

from your perspective do you think this is fair/warranted?

I've got friends that have called off wedding parties recently and haven't been out much money because everyone understands and has been very helpful with deposits and other stuff. I can't see that they would have a lot of $$ tied up in things that wouldn't be refundable at this point (ride is in Sept).

I have been a few times in the past and would like to go in the future because its pretty great riding, but that seems a bit crazy to do that. Its' a great ride but $180 for two lunches and a dinner has always seemed a bit excessive. No camping included. I would guess that they are making some decent money off of this but I have no idea, maybe the FS is charging them a bunch for the ride permit or something?? I can't see that the catering company would have put a lot of money into it at this point. Insurance would be the only one that might be a loss. Everything else could be used for next year. I can't remember do they give you a t-shirt or something?
    Buildzall likes this.
  6. shortman

shortman Beta 500 RS, X-Trainer 250 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I honestly can't remember if the T-Shirt was included OR not.... This is the first year entry is $180.... It was $125 last year and $100 before that.... So... I have no explanation why the increase in entry fee but even at $180 I know it's a great ride put on by a bunch of great folks... The food is always good and the live entertainment on Sat night is good too... I'm just a little confused why they are handling it like they are... I think just a little more explanation on what they have spent and why they can't get it back would have gone a long way.
    Buildzall likes this.
  7. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    So for only 100 bucks, they will save you a spot next year.

Fellas, I will do that for only 75 each. I will make sure to get you signed up in that 2hr window. Please let me know if you would like to take advantage of this premium service.
    Buildzall, Rob578 and Cobra5150 like this.
  8. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    Buildzall likes this.
  9. bones454

bones454 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does your club purchase insurance or just spend the money after the event. Apparently they don’t have all the entry fee money.
  10. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are insured through AMA, own some equipment, will rent some when needed.

I cannot necessarily speak, but I do know that dealing with USFS can be expensive. Before we left a certain national forest, discussions were made for paying the labor of having personnel in the woods "working" on MLK weekend. The number suggested was amazing.

Bye bye Swamp Fox...

My only point in my first post was that neither the riders it the promoter would want to be in this situation. Government closed the woods, promoter and riders left holding the bag.
    Buildzall, bones454 and shortman like this.
  11. bones454

Oddometer:
    It goes to local charities and I’m sure they had expenses, so I’ll take a spot for next year good Lord willing.
    I can go ahead and reserve my cabin.
    Buildzall likes this.
  12. Rob578

Rob578 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I gotta say, ya'll are really good sports about all this.
  13. Buildzall

Buildzall Rooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Experience....
    It takes a lot of money
    Alot of money
    to throw a TWO DAY party for 200 people.
    And that spending started many month before the first Entry fee dollar comes in.
    Permits and insurances and order deposits...
    $16,000 out of pocket right before the event is reasonable.
    (And that's with a team of volunteer staff )

$16,000 ÷ 200 riders is $80

Dang man, entry fee included three catered meals at $20ea and tshirt that is $80 of the entry fee

That's most of that 180 entry fee.

The continued increase in fee is directly attributed to cost of operation.
    After the event expenses are paid and charity donations are made, 50hrs of post ride administration,
    Then maintaining the baseline in savings to be able to afford to startup next years event.

I'm not trying to justify somebody else's numbers but....

It's not a profit deal.
    Its about the rider experience
    And trying to eek out a non-profit sustainable margin for repeatability.

Most of these events are just 2 or 3 persons
    W/handful of volunteers
    (Who all have a day job)
    who put in endless hours and risk their personal finances to put the event together.
    Annnnnd, at the end of the day,
    all they want is for all of us like minded folks to get together and enjoy the ride.
    Uh1h, Allucaneat, accountant and 2 others like this.
  14. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    I have seen some of the rigs in this group that haul the bikes. $180 going back into the riding community.... drop in the bucket?
    accountant, bones454 and Buildzall like this.
  15. Buildzall

Oddometer:
    You don't even want to know how much I'm in the red to get the Scullshoals dualsport event going for last 4 years

(And thats with alot of greatly appreciated volunteer hours and contributions )
    accountant and bones454 like this.
  16. Buildzall

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah....
    I'm already coming out of pocket for the 2021...

2021 SCULLSHOALS DUALSPORT

- YEAHCOMEON -

www.Scullshoals.com

(
    Tell everybody)
    Allucaneat and bones454 like this.
  17. Buildzall

Oddometer:
    Dang it
    ( i gotta get the website updated )
  18. accountant

accountant Having Fun

Oddometer:
    Dang it
    ( i gotta get the website updated )

dang it -- you were on a good path till you mentioned the website --- my task, :snore

yes, Steve's numbers should be noticed and ................... :pope I am going back to the pool for another midnight swim
  19. AtlantaViking

AtlantaViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat. I haven't gotten any official email telling me that it's off. But, just as you - my inbox BLEW UP with emails from KTMRiders site on both sides of this. Most of them supported the idea of the donation to KT Riders for the reasons you noted Shortman.

Having said that though, the idea that they are cancelling the ride (for whatever reason) and apparently offering to hold your spot and let you pay again next year if you give up your entire payment or refund just over half of it really turns my stomach a bit. If they've paid the caterers and T-shirt makers then invite all of us who paid and have a big bash and feed us and give us a T-shirt on our way out. I don't like idea that I'm just handing my money out to anyone for nothing in return unless I knowingly am donating to a charity with the understanding that I expect nothing in return for my donation. That's not the case here. I've read every email from those who have chosen to cc the rider list on their reply - and this idea that they are a good bunch of folks and just keep the money is totally fine for each person who feels that way, but in the current environment there are a lot of folks out of work - and I was sort of amazed that some of those willing to walk away from their cash were criticizing anyone for asking for their money back. And there was a lot of emotion in some of those replies. I mean - that's fine if a couple hundred bucks isn't a big deal to some but don't assume for a second that isn't super important for someone else - especially now.

I get that it's expensive to put an event like this on and I really enjoy it in the past, but at the same time - they have a responsibility to insure their efforts just like each and every rider needs to insure their health for an event like this because they are very clear that the responsibility for each rider's health is on that rider (as it should be). So, I'm a little surprised and disappointed that they didn't insure themselves for something out of their control happening where the riders would not take it in the wallet for something completely out of their control. They've got experience doing this as it's a pretty established event - if it wasn't maybe I'd understand it a bit more.
    Buildzall likes this.
  20. bones454

Oddometer: