Atlanta to Florida Dual Sport Route

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by craftycoder, Oct 26, 2010.

1. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    This is a route I've mapped out and ridden twice.The western section north of Butler (the center of the X) is mostly unpaved up to Brooks and then is just scenic Southern pavement pavement the rest of the way north. The eastern section north of Butler is highway. South of Butler the routes are mostly dirt though the vast majority is GS friendly. In fact I've ridden it on both a light thumper and a GS and not surprisingly I found the GS the more enjoyable ride. This is an incredibly scenic way to head south from Atlanta. Take your time.

South of Butler on the western route is a Skull Waypoint. This is an area that has not been fully explored yet. The roads are not as the maps claim and I have yet found a way out so be careful in there.

I should mention that the northern Florida track I got from another inmate TreeManG23. Many thanks to him.

To download click on the link at the bottom of the map. Create a free login to the site and click the download button.

http://www.dualsportmaps.com/embedMap.html?id=DB68F0E8-CFD4-4EA4-9F03-A1CC5548C4AB
  2. greenlizard

greenlizard adventure lite

Oddometer:
    Mr Coder does good work. Thank you.
  3. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:
    close enough for me to try...
  4. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I've been watching this. Whats the time frame on running this?
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    17 hours total time from Atlanta to do the figure 8. The left track takes about 8 hours, the right track about 7 hours, the bottom part about 2 hours. I do it in two days and spend the night on the Riviera :slurp . It could be done faster if you were serious and not stopping to look around, investigate, and photograph. Maybe 15 hours if you were trying to do it fast and safe.
  6. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:
    about what percentages are dirt? sand? paved?
  7. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    At least 50% of mileage and 75% of the time spent. Look at the photos on the map (click on them). It seems like it's all dirt while riding it, but it takes a while to get to dirt from Atlanta, and there is a stretch in South Georgia on the left track that has a roughly 20 mile stretch of tarmac, but it is completely deserted and I hit it at 80 at least. Not a soul around, Old Hwy Such and Such. Great stuff really!
  8. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:
    I'm in Southeast Alabama... don't really have the desire/need to go all the way to Hot Lanta for that type ride. I'll ride dirt all day long. Sand is tiring.
  9. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    So its feasible to do it over a weekend leaving early on a Sat and staying somewhere on the southern portion and then riding home Sunday?
  10. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Certainly. It's a two day trip. Food is scarce and you need about 170 miles of range unless you want to take gas detours. Bring a sandwich with you. Remember the east track north of Butler is highway, so it's really the give up point on the way home.
  11. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Cool, may try this this fall/winter if we can squeeze it in sometime.
  12. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just ran across this. I may have to try it someday.
  13. Crim

Crim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning on running this next weekend with a friend. Any additional words of wisdom? Any good spots in particular to camp out along the way?
  14. Crim

Crim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from running this. Starting and ending from Marietta Ga, my odo read just under 850 total miles. The tracks are pretty much spot on, with only one small issue. There was one dirt road that was posted as "Private Keep out" We decided to go ahead anyways as it looked like a short stretch, but the other end was gated and locked with no easy way around. We just back tracked a little and took a different dirt road.

Thanks so much for putting this together, we had an absolute blast!
  15. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to do a portion of it last week, down to where go it goes past lake blacksheer and back. I was coming from Rome, so I didn't try to navigate the route until I got to the brown "dirt starts here" on the route. So it comes up and says my maps are too old for this file and while I could see the route, the route line would be way off somewhere eventhough I was on the right road. I rode a whole bunch of dirt/sand though.
  16. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Did you use the track or the route? When you download the map you get two gpx files. The one labeled "modified" only contains track files, so the age of your maps are not relevant. If you used the the "raw" it contains routes that may cause you problems because routes are a pain. The "modified" gpx file always contains info exactly as you see it on the website. The "raw" file is the one the user uploaded before it was modified. I specifically used the site to convert them to tracks so you wouldn't have this problem.

17. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I called the modified up in Mapsource and during the transfer it said it was transferring tracks to the GPS, but then I couldn't see any tracks on my GPS screen, so then I called up something else that said "Georgia Florida" and I guess that must have been the raw file. The strange thing was that even when just using the gps to go from point A to point B and not navigating a route, I could see that "remote location" notation from the route. Will a garmin 2620 do tracks? I can't find anything that says navigate tracks, only navigate route.
  18. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    To be honest, I don't claim to be an expert about GPS units. My goal is for you to see the track in Mapsource. From there I assume that you can make the transfer to your unit work (there are just so many and they are all a little different). I can't say that I know what the "Georgia Florida" thing was. There are two files one is called $mapname-modified.gpx and the other is $mapname-raw.gpx. They MAY contain different things depending on how much updating to the map the person did on the site. It just so happens that this raw file had routes and tracks in it. I deleted (or converted) the routes to tracks because without the original map the route was made from you are sort of dead in the water. If you want to take another look at the files in mapsource and see if you can figure them out, I'd like to know what you come up with.

19. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'll study it a little and see if I can figure it out, I'm not exactly a power user, I've never read the manual on the gps, probably don't even have it anymore. The screen is delaminating and will do all sorts of crazy things, I almost threw it to the alligators.
  20. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Haha. I dropped mine on a trail in Apalachicola once. I was afraid a gator would get it as I had just seen one a few minutes earlier.

If the Zumo would display tracks, I'd say it was the perfect dualsport GPS. Someday, Garmin will update the software or make it opensource. Maybe I should just try to develop my own "Perfect" GPS. I was thinking about writing software for my phone, but it's antenna really isn't up to the task.