Atlanta to Florida Dual Sport Route

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by craftycoder, Oct 26, 2010.

1. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Well, due to the really crappy weather through S. GA for this weekend, our group cancelled, but we are gonna try it again real soon.

I worked with the route some and modified a few areas where I think I can add in some more dirt to it. We'll see how it works out after we get a chance to run it.
  2. DRZDIVER

DRZDIVER MidGA

Oddometer:
    CraftyCoder,
    I have connected several DualSport routes to your Atl to Fl route. I have a dirt road route from Cochran Ga to Brunswick. Brunswick to Madison Fla. From Madison, following your route north to Ellaville, and from Ellaville over to Cochran. These routes connected together form a loop of over 500 miles. I don't have the software to plot the GPS, but have roll charts without the milage. We hope to ride these in the near future and create a roll chart and GPS route. A friend has plotted the Cochran to Brunswick route, but not the others. These route are mostly dirt, with some pavement to connect them. I use a Garmin Oregon as my GPS, so it doesn't get too technical for that unit. Any help would be great.
  3. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    I guess I should have posted up that we ended up running this about 2 weeks later. It was the weekend of March 3rd-4th. We ended up having a terribly wet day on Saturday, but was still a blast. Even spending 90mins on one very muddy road and having to remove 2 fenders and ending up with toasted clutch on my wife's XT225. :D

Sunday was a blast coming home since there was so much moisture in the sand, it was perfect!

My pics and videos - https://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Mo...FL-DS/21789855_dpFWXw#!i=1737209486&k=zFf837Z
  4. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Check out dualsportmaps.com for planning tools.

5. Hypermofo

Hypermofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soupy! But looks like you guys had fun! I didn't see anyone w/o a smile on their face!!!

FYI for anyone who monitors this thread I think (70% yes, 30% not sure yet) I am doing half of this loop southbound this coming Fri or Sat chasing my better half down to FL with the kido's for spring break. Work is driving the indecision on schedule.... if anyone wants to team up for the southbound half I would welcome the company. My bail point is north Tally somewhere.

I'll be on a GS1200 with DS tires at a moderate pace with plenty of stops for breaks and what not. I don't mind catching up to someone faster or taking a break to wait for someone slower... this will be my first trip with my new Montana so god knows I'll be stopping to fiddle with it plenty...

Departure point will be in-town ATL but could meet anywhere south of there...
  6. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    subscribed.

would love to hear next dates a group is going.

I have a r12gs and a husky te310 I could choose from.

bigger or smaller dual sports better for this trip?
  7. Hypermofo

Hypermofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did most of the loop over a few different days last week and it was a great ride (thanks and nice job Crafty). I was on a 12gs and my feeling is a bigger bike is a better choice with normal DS tires. There are lots of open dirt roads with tarmac in between. I think that would get a bit long on a lighter weight dirt bike unless you just want to be on one. There are some sandy sections in the south to deal with but the only thing that would make me uncomfortable on a big bike is if the route was wet. Those red clay roads would be a slimy mess and I just dread the thought of sliping through that slop on a big bike:eek1

HM
  8. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I usually choose to ride my 250. I always have more fun on the smaller bike.

9. Han Solo

Han Solo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI all new to this thread. So grateful for the info. We want to ride this route from Tallahassee up to Atlanta (which is better West or East?).

Also dualsportmaps.com seems to be down. Perhaps crafty or someone else could email the .gpx or .kml files to us? pm me if possible.

Lastly we are continuing north up to Tellico Plains, TN and would love any leads on routes to get us there.
  10. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    There are lots of telico routes on the website, which is up on all the computers I've checked. I think the problem is you. Why do you think its down?
  11. Farmer829

Farmer829 Green horn

Oddometer:
    I'm about to do this on March 14th. Any pointers?
  12. Crim

Crim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did this leaving Friday after work (5pm) and returning back home in Atlanta Sunday evening... it definitely took the full 2.5 days with little to no time to stop and explore around.

That said, it was an absolute blast! We took the eastern tracks down south and the first night we stumbled upon a boyscout camp and ditched out to sleep there. The 2nd night we stayed at a KOA campsite (meh) outside of tallahassee because everything else was booked solid. Can't think of much else....
  13. Farmer829

Farmer829 Green horn

Oddometer:

If you're only able to do one track what would you pick?
  14. Crim

Crim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recall the western track was mostly paved and the eastern track was primarily dirt and was a ton of fun. I'd do the eastern side if you can only do one.
  15. Queen of Spades

Queen of Spades tall drink of water

Oddometer:
  16. craftycoder

Oddometer:
  17. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    They are Hippo Hands. - http://www.hippohands.com/HIPPO HANDS.htm

Same concept as the hand warmers, but the HH have a pretty "stiff" shell which helps them keep their shape when your hand isn't in them and works much better on a Motorcycle at speed so you can get your hands back into them quickly. Those ATV ones flop around in the wind and make it a pain to get your hands back in easily when you need to.

I have several pairs for various bikes and they really do help keep your hands warm when you can't run full electric gear. Although they aren't totally waterproof, they do help keep your hands dry too and you really could apply a waterproof treating to them. Even just with heated grips and those, I can keep my hands warm in the winter wearing summer gloves.
  18. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    BTW, I modified this route some in various places to add in more dirt and should upload it if Crafty doesn't mind. I actually ran this solo a few months back on my WR250R. I was hoping to take a large group again, but in the end this route is too long with a large group where the pace is much slower. I covered over 700 miles in two days. I was exploring in a few areas, so that added quite a bit of mileage and time, but it was still 2 very long days. I had a blast though riding it by myself. I like running it counter clock wise myself and running down the West side and coming back up the east side. I found some really great roads leaving the hotel and in that south east corner of the loop.
  19. Queen of Spades

Queen of Spades tall drink of water

Oddometer:
    A friend and I were talking about hitting this in the Fall... figured the temps would be unbearable by July. Do you normally camp or detour to a hotel?

Keep us posted if you think you want to run this again between now & Fall. Have prior obligations this weekend but *could* break away the following.
  20. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Upload your modifications to the website and embed it into this thread. I've done the west side many times. Here are some tracks from my most recent trip south.

<IFRAME SRC="http://www.dualsportmaps.com/embedMap.html?id=102494" TITLE="Atlanta to Apalachicola dual sport 2" width="800" height="600"></IFRAME>