Atlanta to Utah on a Tiger

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BSUCardinalfan, Sep 14, 2018.

1. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    loaded tiger.jpg trip route.JPG After a long time preparing, asking questions, planning, re planning, packing, repacking, amazon orders, and more amazon orders, I'm off in about 3 hours for what will be the longest trip I've ever taken.

17 days from Atlanta to Utah and back, by way of Colorado. Bike is a 2017 Tiger XCX.

It is probably overloaded, like most with this being my first trip I'm overpacked. I have camping gear (plan to camp 10-11 nights), 3 days food, a small cookset, water, a couple changes of clothes, quite a bit of camera gear, and tools and misc like tire irons, spare tubes, and a quart of oil.

My longest previous trip was 7 days and I didn't camp on that one, so this is a big deal for me. I've never been to Colorado OR Utah, so I'm incredibly excited to see what a beautiful part of the country.

I planned (roughly) my route in Furkot, with input from many, many helpful people.

This will be a mostly solo trip, but I have a good friend planning to meet me in Moab for a few days of riding in Utah late next week. This is also the first time since I was in college I've taken a two week vacation! I have to say a word of gracious thanks to my supportive wife and two daughters who will be missing me while I'm gone but have been encouraging about me doing this!

I used my accumulation of marriott points to get hotels for the first three and last two nights of the trip, while I blast across the country on my way to Denver. I'm planning about 450 miles per day out and back (give or take) and closer to 200 once I hit denver.

My goals on this trip: slow down and enjoy Colorado and Utah, get a picture of the milky way, hike in arches national park, camp on the Moki Dugway, ride the Burr Trail, see monument valley, and get home safe.

I'll update when I can but the good pictures will probably get uploaded after I get home.

Things i haven't thought enough about:
    where I'm gonna shower on those 11 days I plan to camp.
    how I'll pick the bike up when it falls over.
    Tinker07, Shin1ichi2002, ejm4 and 2 others like this.
  2. ride200mi

ride200mi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a wonderful trip. It is getting cooler in these regions but really only at night. Ride safe!!!
  3. brgsprint

brgsprint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip. I hope you don't have to, but the Tiger isn't too hard to pick up (after removing gear).

Have fun!
  4. bigfoot2222

bigfoot2222 Stanley Cup Champions!!!!

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in :photog
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    This sounds good. :lurk
  7. pro69ss

pro69ss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m ready for a great story and lots of pictures with the said excessive camera gear !

Picking the bike up is easy .
    As stated , unload her .
    Turn around facing away from bike on seat side of downed bike , squat with knees bent and lift with your legs not your back , once up ,turn around and get her situated on her stand ! Ride on
    BSUCardinalfan likes this.
  8. BSUCardinalfan

Oddometer:
    Day one in the books. Left about 2 pm after stopping to see my wife at her college and made it to Paducah Ky.
    Temps mid 90s all day.
    Bike running great - mileage is down to high 40s with the luggage.
    Butt is sore. As expected. Beer will help!
    364 Miles today, averaged 68 mph.

Up early tomorrow to try to beat the heat, hotel reservation in Juntion City KS tomorrow night.

Not much for interesting pictures today

Attached Files:

rascalman likes this.
  9. BSUCardinalfan

Oddometer:
    321E2891-D879-4E77-9941-27B4E26C8B0B.jpeg 100 Miles before breakfast. Temps much better early, at a Starbucks in Mt. Vernon, IL.

A little background on me: 46 years old, started riding about 8 years ago. Always wanted to ride, took a while and a push from friends to finally do it.

Lived in Wisconsin then. Basically a 7 month riding season. Took annual trips to deals gap area to find good riding. Explored most of wisconsin. Family decided life was too short to spend half of it indoors because it was cold, so we moved to Georgia and now I’m less than an hour from great riding.

Travel for work about 40% of the time. Mostly international. Gets difficult to plan big things when you are always flying somewhere.

Had the idea for this trip last year when I was on a project in Reno. That didn’t materialize, but a surplus of vacation days this year did. So here I am.
    Stonedude, Motogasoline and Wilde like this.
  10. BSUCardinalfan

Oddometer:
    648757A9-EC1E-4146-96FF-27026E7391DD.jpeg 544 Miles today, still mid 90s. I’m starting to think I wore the wrong jacket!

Paducah Ky to Junction City KS. Stopped by to see the arch and look at the Mississippi River.

About 470 miles to Denver tomorrow. Probably all freeway - have to watch the fuel more closely - almost ran out today, rolled into station with 6 miles to go on the range display.

Anything interesting between here and Denver?
    ejm4 likes this.
  11. BSUCardinalfan

Oddometer:
    Made it to Denver. Took a detour in Kansas to check out the Monument Rocks. Got to ride several miles of dirt to get there too! 523 miles today. Tomorrow hope to camp on the north rim of the black canyon of the Gunnison.

Wind on I 70 was brutal. And it is mid 90s in Denver.

49BBCDBF-47EF-44B6-AA7F-A68E92E8D0C9.jpeg 4CB079D6-484A-4F38-A661-992C865C2FF8.jpeg D9B93747-9E35-4DA4-AF1A-F5CBEEBB8FCB.jpeg 08FC91B9-DF96-4B8C-B39D-F1C7FF65ACE9.jpeg
  12. BSUCardinalfan

Oddometer:
    More pictures of the Monument Rocks B4955905-2ED8-45A7-891D-867EC5BC0DEC.jpeg 326EF7EC-1FF2-496E-A4D9-D99C6CF02146.jpeg FC102662-EB56-4735-98B6-B4787C9F17CB.jpeg

C05A32E4-A6F3-478A-8723-45B1D2529E03.jpeg
  13. Douf

Douf Limey Bitch

Oddometer:
    Best of luck on your trip and I hope the Triumph treats you better than that dreaded Hyper.
  14. BSUCardinalfan

Oddometer:
    Already better! Knock on wood
  15. srelegante

srelegante srelegante

Oddometer:
    What a gorgeous Tiger!

Enjoy the ride-take in every moment, even the difficult ones.

SE
    BSUCardinalfan likes this.
  16. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What camera are you using?
  17. BSUCardinalfan

Oddometer:
    Sony a6000

Those shots are with the kit 16-50 zoom lens
  18. CaptJezebel

CaptJezebel In the saddle of "Doppler"

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out to that area in three weeks, and will be following your report. I'll primarily be doing the five National Parks in S. Utah. For showers/baths on the road: I wear all synthetic clothing (nylon hiking pants, Under-Armor undies and shirts), and I carry a bottle of Dr. Bronner's natural soap. I take baths and do my laundry in streams, rivers, and lakes. Regardless of how cold the water is, just ease into it - shin deep first, bend down on knees, splash water on thighs, then belly and upper body, then lay back in the water, and lay your head back. Use Dr. Bronner's to scrub your body and cloths e.g., just reach in your britches and wash your weenie and your butt. Lay back and rinse. If it is hot summer, I put my riding gear back on and enjoy the evaporative cooling. Otherwise, I change into my dry cloths (out of sight, or in tent), and hang the wet stuff to dry. For a final drying, if need be, I stuff the cloths under various straps on my bike - they will be dry in a couple of hours. You should be able to find Dr. Bronner's soap in the outdoor shops around SW Colorado. That said, have fun and keep the great pictures coming!
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  19. BSUCardinalfan

Oddometer:
    3FCB4BAC-FD76-4AE6-B960-496D2A281888.jpeg 139B5BE4-7734-4CA3-A684-20125CBC62B4.jpeg 1029B753-6AFE-4F0F-B0E9-618F37CD6185.jpeg CB180713-27DC-4CE8-992B-0D0218ADD60C.jpeg Day 4 - Colorado!

Left Denver at sunrise. Was 39 degrees crossing Vail. Breakfast in Minturn then over Tennessee Pass to Independence Pass. Through Aspen and down to the North Rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison for camp.

Words can’t describe how beautiful and how awesome the roads are for riding here. Can only post 4pics so here they are.
  20. CaptJezebel

CaptJezebel In the saddle of "Doppler"

Oddometer:
    You can post multiple groups of four.....