Attempted Hijacking yesterday

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by gaiaRTW, Oct 18, 2020.

1. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    The homelessness problem continues to worsen everywhere. No one is doing anything about it.
  2. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    There's definitely uptick in crime, especially stark considering the previous long downward trend:

or-population-2020-11-13-macrotrends.png
  3. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    I know it's a complicated issue. I'm less inclined to 'do anything about it' when someone has made a choice to be homeless. Mental health and substance abuse play into it in some cases, yet some have decided that being homeless/transient is cool, edgy, and better than the alternative (like kids don't want to live at home with parents because parents wouldn't let them smoke weed or skip school) etc.

What I don't want to do is funnel money into someone's addiction, an organized crime syndicate, or encourage homelessness by making it easy or comfortable vs. being a productive member of society. Yet I recognize at times someone just needs a safe and clean place to stay for a couple months while getting back on their feet so they don't become chronically or long-term homeless.

It's the standard "empathy vs. cynicism" that I struggle with internally.

Rockred and Willsfree like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I live near a small town. Very small downtown area (Fredericksburg, VA). EVERY time I’m down there, in an 8 block x 8 block area I see the same homeless people I see every year. They are like fixtures. Some new ones come/go, but there are some that are constant.

It’s sad, but I can’t fix it, and as a country we aren’t doing much to fix it.

My guess is there is at least some minor mental illness with most of them based on what I see - and I’m not a doctor. I just see bizarre and unusual behavior.

Barry
    ZoomerP likes this.
  5. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I often work with people that are without permanent housing, and there are a variety of reasons why they're living that life. If someone chooses to live the home-free life and is truly doing no harm to others, that's fine by me, but I know many people that live in conditions that aren't fit for animals. Often, the comorbidity of untreated behavioral health problems and untreated drug & alcohol problems have led to them living as they do, but not always. In my area, there has been a significant increase in the number of people that fall into that category, and crime is often a part of their lives, whether as victims or suspects.

Any long term solutions I've seen with a hope of success take a financial commitment from society, and a personal commitment from the people in need, to see them through. It's much easier to ignore the problems and let the criminal justice system deal with whatever happens when it gets bad enough. I believe that's a cruel approach, and it's also more expensive in the long term than whatever costs would be associated with better programs, but we get what we pay for and elect. Another damning aspect of the problems associated with the issue is that few in a position of power want to be demagogued as the bad guy, so it's rare to see any meaningful progress.

I hope to see a turning point before long, but I don't expect it.
    AdvNener, liberpolly and runpet like this.
  6. Bobo

Bobo Are we there yet? Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my BMW, I always gas up while sitting on the bike. Just seems easier to me. I guess it has the added advantage of being harder to bike jack. I'm not going to put the kick stand down for the perp.
  7. Dayypete

Dayypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No you are not open to a "legitimate" answer. Keep drinking the koolaid.
    AZbiker likes this.
  8. Dayypete

Dayypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I definitely think it is the fault of society for not giving enough money to social workers to fix the problems created by the welfare society.
    baldman1 and AZbiker like this.
  9. Dayypete

Dayypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's right. You have no right to protect yourself or your stuff, you should just hope that they don't want to beat you to death today. Whatever you do, don't do anything to fight back or take responsibility for your well being, don't do anything to prepare or arm yourself because this asshole, thinks that's bad advice. Its all someone else's responsibility anyway isn't it? I have a different view point.
    Barry, iflysideways, baldman1 and 2 others like this.
  10. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I do have some training, and I also have the same question, so it is absolutely legitimate.

By avoiding the answer, you are contributing to discrediting the whole idea, to be honest.
  11. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? I don't, and nothing in my post said as much.
    AdvNener likes this.
  12. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was held up years ago...guy had a knife..... luckily I handled it well. I even got down on my knees to give them a fair chance. LOL

sidetrack one and ZoomerP like this.
  13. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude shoulda been wearing MX boots.
    AdvNener and Sal Pairadice like this.
  14. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or clown shoes.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  15. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the nose, bub!

[​IMG]
  16. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone dudes here ever try dry humping an attacker?...’cause it would probably send them running. Just sayin.
    AZbiker, SOUP and liberpolly like this.
  18. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Twice.

And now I am banned from alabama and idaho...
  19. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Dry?
    Gone in 60 and Whodatschrome like this.
  20. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come on.. You described a complex situation with a nuanced/sensible view, and without offering a simple and effortless solution... What did you expect?
    ZoomerP likes this.