Attempted Hijacking yesterday

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by gaiaRTW, Oct 18, 2020.

1. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Pffffft!...what a bunch of greenhorns. Anyone knows that the gafftop catfish is the best fish for defending against the attack. Strike the attacker with the pointy side of the fish, and even when the dirtbag runs off, he will probably die due to the toxicity contained in the dorsal fin. I also considered electric eels, but you can end up on the receiving end just as much as the target...though I guess you could exchange your motorcycle gloves for some of those insulated electrical lineman gloves.
    Gone in 60, baldman1 and ZoomerP like this.
  2. itinerant wool stash

itinerant wool stash Inveterate optimist Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as the cut used -- as Greenland sharks commonly grow to almost 5m length and up to 400kg weight, using an entire fish instead of a cut would be impractical -- is of sufficient thickness its suitability as an impact weapon should be quite satisfactory.

Hmn ... I don't know about that.

There are safety concerns to consider, especially if you're one of those riders that use knobby tires for more dignified reasons than them looking tough in a Starbucks parking lot. Having a minor whoopsie somewhere in the boonies and accidentally getting stung by the catfish as you and the bike temporarily part ways does seem to carry certain risks; even if the toxin doesn't get you, Face Plant would mock you relentlessly.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  3. NewYorkLuke

NewYorkLuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would rather conceal carry anyway. In an instance like this where you caught completely off guard it would be better if the person sneaking up on you didnt know you have a weapon. If he sees it on your hip it may deter him but it may also be the first thing he grabs for. Stolen fire arms are a hot commodity and bring a quick buck.
  4. Steve_h

Steve_h Long timer

Oddometer:
    To the OP. Glad you and your bike or OK. Too bad he got your phone but it can be replaced.
    After seeing all of the gun, knife, be a badass stuff here, I can't help but think that if he intended a surprise attack and was prepared for it, about the only thing you could have done would have been stop somewhere else. He was already lying in wait and once he jumped and had you by the helmet, he could pretty much lead you around or throw you down at will. Since the bike was still in gear and didn't readily start, it threw off his timing. It was more expeditious and made for less likelihood of him being caught or beat to a pulp to jump off and run. The vehicle was just a quick way for him to get away and would have been quickly abandoned once he got the stuff he could easily sell off of it. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a damned thief.
  5. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    Just having it provides options; it doesn't have to be used. If I were in the OP's scenario I would not have used it as my life was not in danger.
    AZbiker likes this.
  6. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't been relegated downstairs...

I wonder if the OP expected pandora's box to be opened by his briefing...
    ADV890R, gaiaRTW and Sal Pairadice like this.
  7. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    gaiaRTW likes this.
  8. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know what, liberpolly, when I'm curled up really tight, I sort of can....
    liberpolly and HuntWhenever like this.
  9. gaiaRTW

gaiaRTW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not at all. I realize that forums can take a turn into ares unintended. That being said, it's been comical at times to read some of the comments.
  10. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen the prerequisite shit show develop, either. This thread just isn't Basement material.

Yet.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  11. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wasn't issuing a challenge.
    Lighten up, folks.
    liberpolly likes this.
  12. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reminder that CSM needs to stay in CSM.
  13. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    See, that just amazes me. I realize I'm in the minority, here, but I think this last bit was way, way beyond acceptable on a forum like this. The consensual threshold for civility here is pretty different from mine. Not my community, of course, so who cares what I think. But I really am amazed at the way people treat each other here sometimes.
    bomose, Big John Sny and ZoomerP like this.
  14. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    The late unpleasantness belonged down there. If a mod knew about it, I'm sure it'd be banished to that wasteland. I pretend the forum was built on a slab; no basement.

Prior to that, I thought the chest thumping was relatively restrained.
    BetterLateThanNever likes this.
  15. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lets get back to hijacking and whether many riders have experienced issues with solo open road riding and stopping in smaller communities for gas and lodging. I ride from eastern KS west and have not seen a problem yet but always ride with tactical awareness cause its more fun that way and you notice small things otherwise missed.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  16. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clown fish protocols aside, I agree with what several people said about really focusing on your surroundings when you pull up to stop somewhere. Before parking, taking a quick lap of the area will give you a better overview, and may let you spot potential trouble. Just making that effort may ward off the Bad Man because they'll know you're aware of their presence.

@gaiaRTW was ambushed. Once the Bad Man had him off-balance while dismounting, with a firm grip on his helmet, the results were predictable - and that moment was the first sign he had of trouble. I haven't seen any self-defense tactic mentioned that takes that into account; even dropping to the ground wouldn't work well with a leg over a bike. Employing a weapon while in riding gear, off-balance and unaware has a high probability of not ending well. Those of you in Fight Club know that getting an opponent off-balance is a goal on the way to winning the fight, and that it's important to keep your own footing. Gaia's attacker may have instinctively known all of that, too.

By design, an ambush isn't a fair fight. In the real world, anyone would be hard pressed to do better than our man did once the attack began. I'm glad he came out ok.
  17. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    In some remote gas stations, I had several encounters with "off the grid" looking young guys/gals in 40 years old cars/vans asking me to use my card to pay for their gas and handing me the same amount in cash. This always led to a nice short chat and/or sharing a snack :dunno
    ZoomerP likes this.
  18. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't done a credit-for-cash exchange, but I chat with strangers often. I'd be careful about any encounter that included getting a wallet out, since that's an easy way for it to be grabbed.

I don't give people cash. If they look like they truly deserve some help, I'll buy them some food or something, or offer to call someone for them. I don't let them use my phone, either.
  19. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never felt any extra concern/risk/suspicion in any rural or small community. Only in the urban areas and even then, only a few times.
    mikegc and AdvNener like this.
  20. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although I'm probably not very "tactically aware", I usually have my credit card in an easy to reach location, and cash/documents less accessible. Don't need them most of the time.
    Waiting for someone to show up at 6am in the middle of nowhere with cash in your hand to lower their suspiciousness then grab their wallet and... run?? get in your old van and flee?? seems quite the convoluted plot :D

Maybe I misunderstood what "smaller communities" are, but here for me, you are much more likely to encounter troubles in/near large city areas. There may be the odd psycho-killer hidden in the wood, but statistically...
    mung, strommonster and ZoomerP like this.