Attempted Hijacking yesterday

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by gaiaRTW, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    "typical American"?

Ironically you're displaying the attitudes identical to the stereotype you lambast. Intolerance, arrogance, bigotry.
  2. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. I was genuinely curious. But what happened must factor somewhat at least when you roll into a gas station these days.
  3. Chotu

Chotu Lifan x-pect

Oddometer:
    Random offshoot thread drift. I just had something similar happen. Wish I had the helmet

I was surprise punched in a way my glasses instantly flew off and broke. So now I’m completely blind and this person is repeatedly punching me in the side of the head until I give up my money.

i couldn’t see anything going on. Every punch was just a random event. Had no idea it was coming.

now I’m sitting home nursing a concussion this week.

would like to kill people like this
  4. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    That's terrible! Sorry this happened to you and you recover quickly.
    Chotu likes this.
  5. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    To quote several of the extremely competent, knowledgeable instructors I have trained with... "Maybe you can shoot legally. But SHOULD you shoot"? Most of the instructors I shoot with suggest considering all options, regardless of your legal footing... and ultimately ask yourself "should I shoot"? Just cause you can doesn't mean you should. If you have any option that keeps you safe without shooting, consider it strongly.
    nevada72 likes this.
  6. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same for my instructors who are experts at self defense law. Definitely consider any other option than lethal force. Good to have the option but only when you fear death or grave bodily harm.

My rule is to always maintain a reactionary distance between myself and anyone I don't know. Use your bike or gas pump as a barrier. Nothing like holding the gas nozzle in your hand and facing opponent.
  7. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Agree... distance is your friend.
  8. Yella DR

Yella DR It'll be fine they said Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well pulling a sentence or words from a thread is, well typical of angry intolerant arrogant bigot.
    Right?
    Any mirrors you swell folk want take a look at?
    This place is toxic
  9. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Your the one who came here and basically said we live in a shit country.
    CaptUglyDan, 1greenmachine and sieg like this.
  10. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should be first in line for that mirror.
    CaptUglyDan and sieg like this.
  11. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    ayecarumbaoj.jpg

Calm down kids, no reason to get your panties so bunched up over Kanook or Gringo stereotypes. Just put the person who offends you on ignore and spare the rest of us your playground smack and move the fuck on.
  12. TSConver

TSConver Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I teach the exact same thing. Killing someone stays with you forever.
    Barry likes this.
  13. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I used to think I'd like to shoot a dirtbag or two. Then in the '90s a customer had a couple crackheads break down his door and threaten to kill him and rape his daughter. He shot them both. Killed one the other in a wheelchair. It took years to clean that mess up. Once the criminal went away the civil suits came along. He won but it cost him a small fortune. So these days I hope never to face that decision.
  14. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am 6 foot 7 inches of 225 lbs of jock bone and muscle. Former USMC. Know how to take care of myself. This is just horse play. Too much alcohol.

[​IMG]

Usually. I am not the one a person needs to worry about. It is the tiny red head behind me with .25 auto in her purse you should worry about.
    She has busted knee caps before with it. Even kept the gun. Texas is good that way.

Street crime is not a problem in my family < when we are looking >

Like dogs. Though. Thieves prefer your head is turned away when they go about their business. Like my deserted ranch house on the border.

[​IMG]

Another thing I like about Tx. We just fixed it so conceal and carry is no big issue and what blade you carry is OK in court.
    My swat switchblade is legal.
  15. TSConver

Oddometer:
    Well fortunately in NC of the shoot meets the requirements for self defense you are protected from civil and criminal prosecution.

I also carry us law shield to defend me in either case. I advise every student I teach to carry some sort of self defense coverage. Lawyers are expensive even if you are on the good side.
    Barry likes this.
  16. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have heard of people using Wasp and Hornet spray in place of Bear spray. I think it was described as at lease effective and has a good range. It isn't considered a non lethal weapon. Just a defense of opportunity, and it is cheaper.
  17. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Scarecrow Chemical Delivery System is a proven deterrent that the OP could have used. Here's another, from a WWII documentary that would be effective under the same conditions.

18. TSConver

Oddometer:
    Those would be poisonous and would lead to big civil suits if not criminal charges.
  19. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I'm attacked I think any defense up to lethal (certain cases) would be acceptable. The attacker will be the one to suffer a criminal charge or civil suit from me.
  20. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Adding to the complication, this is a global forum. And within that, there are regional considerations within the US. If you're in Baltimore, the results of an armed conflict will be much different than Texas, or Wisconsin, or specifically the Denver metro area.

In general, as a permit holder, my mindset is you don't pull your gun unless you are going to shoot. You don't shoot until all other options, including running away, have been exhausted. It is an absolute last option when all other considerations have failed and you are facing certain bodily injury that may result in death or disability.

So much would have to go wrong for me. I avoid bad areas. I am usually home by dark (yeah, I'm old). I routinely get gas at the same places I know to be safe. When I do get gas (at a familiar place or otherwise, like when I'm travelling), I'm always checking out the situation before I stop on the bike or get out of the truck. Etc, etc.

Could I still become the target of a predator during the day in a safe neighborhood? Sure. Probably not as often as the news would lead us to believe, but yes - it happens. But I suspect most times it's all very preventable by choosing wisely and having situational awareness. That's the hope anyway. But I'm not betting my life on it. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    Dayypete, CaptUglyDan, mikegc and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.