Attempted Hijacking yesterday

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by gaiaRTW, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell in Baltimore the criminal may even be a cop!
    greasyfatman likes this.
  2. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    This really is the best advice. When I travel I make all of my gas stops during the day, usually normal "busy" hours. Many people mean more eyes, generally less crime. I also like places which have more than gas. Here in the East we have Sheetz. Gas station, convenience store and restaurant. Usually in decent neighborhoods and clean and well lit. I love stopping where police might be sitting, or even just parked.
    nevada72 and Barry like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    That is a lot of assuming (unless I misconstrue your post). I can tell you that absent some disparity in force/ability or extenuating circumstance (ie, if you are punched you could die) that employing lethal force against an unarmed attacker will likely be very problematic for you, vs your attacker.

Barry
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah a good head but while wearing a helmet can be debilitating.
  5. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree and the reason for my parenthetical comment. Disparity of force can happen. When your head is being pounded into the ground would be a good time to draw and fire. We all agree I think lethal force is last resort. As long as you can articulate your reason to investigating officers and DA, and possibly a jury, your criminal defense should be strong.
  6. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Understood. Not knowing you, I figured I’d ask. There are a lot of idiots out there that think being punched is the end of the world and rather than fight an unarmed opponent they think they can use deadly force to avoid fisticuffs.

We are tracking.
  7. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    Agree, a lot of guns out there carried by those w/o training or ego awareness. We can all let the brainstem be in control vs the forebrain - can happen to the best. I read about a martial arts instructor who advised, throw your ego on the ground and stomp it. Avoiding or walking away can prevent years of grief.
    Barry likes this.
  8. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    A CC trainer I know said you may win the fight, but they will bankrupt you in you in court ... even if you win.
    PS. I heard of the Wasp Spray originally on the Epic Ride forum.
  9. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wasp spray is contains an insect poison like pyrethrin. Bear spray is capsaicin (pepper spray). Using Wasp spray as a defense is illegal as stated on the container opening you to litigation if you cause injury.
    Bar None and Barry like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure a lot of people wanna’ argue that. They would be wrong.
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah fuck it just lay down and die.
  12. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    ha ha, yeah If your life or life of your loved ones is threatened any defense available is approved whether it be wasp spray, guns, shovels, prayer, death touch, knives, etc. Get real folks, "oh I can't use wasp spray it is poison", are you kidding? Getting killed is worse poison. Get educated armed or whatever and use common sense.
    Arflatfoot, sieg and nevada72 like this.
  13. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Where can I get me some of that "death touch"? :D
  14. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    It will cost you:D
    nevada72 likes this.
  15. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Right, I think you are being obtuse possibly on purpose. If you are not facing seriously bodily harm, or death, and you use a less lethal spay, such as PEPPER SPRAY, you’re fine. The intended use is to defend against a less lethal attack, or a lethal attack if need be. That said, of course if you are facing serious bodily harm or death, you can use bug spray, knives, guns, bats, hammer… we all know this.

The point is if you are NOT facing a lethal threat and you bug spray someone and they go blind, look to be either charged criminally and/or sued as your response was out of sync to the threat you faced.
  16. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    No issue with that, I agree. Go with pepper spray or best, exit the area.
    Barry likes this.
  17. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Agree 100%. I train a lot, one of the most accomplished shotgun guys I’ve ever trained with says the same thing in every class. “Be deadly, but do everything you can so you don’t need to be”.

I absolutely advocate checking pride, and fleeing vs fighting - if you can do so safely.
    dirtmarine likes this.
  18. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    If someone is using lethal force to get your shit, fucking give it too them. They've already got the draw on you. If they are not using lethal force, how are you going to justify killing them? Lots of robberies that end up in murders are caused by someone "thinking" the other is pulling a gun and shoots first, big mistake.

Have insurance replace my bike or go through manslaughter charges and possibly sit out the next 20 riding seasons? :hmmmmm
  19. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    Yup, regardless of some state laws do not use lethal force for anyone taking property, even if they are leaving your house with TV or car. One cannot shoot a fleeing felon unless immediate harm to those nearby . . .
  20. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    And I’ll state this for the record. I’m not shooting anyone to protect my property. All my shit is insured. Shooting to protect life and limb.
    docwyte, CaptUglyDan and dirtmarine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.