Attn 950S owners, mileage check, regarding the seat?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by SQD8R, Jun 16, 2004.

1. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Trading in my current ride tomorrow. I am looking at the KTM 950S (in Go!!!!!) paint scheme or the 1200GS in yellow. The price difference is $4100 Canadian. I've viewed your site and seen the pros and cons. So my question is how bad is the seat. How bad is the KTM for parts, particularly in Canada if possible. How many miles have you done in one sitting or over a few days.
  2. AdvSkier

AdvSkier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about parts in Canada, but the seat is bad. Take all the bad things you have read about the seat, add them up, and multiply by 5.

But on a positive note a seat is the easiest motorcycle upgrade to make.

For short rides (under 4 hours) the bike is so much fun you won't notice the seat.
  3. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    With the modification of the seat what kind of seat time are we talking about. I regularly do 600 plus km days on the weekend and want somthing that will replace my repli-racer.
  4. SST

SST Lost again...

Oddometer:
    My max mileage so far on the stock seat is 550 miles on road (mostly sitting). Off -road (mucho standing) was 410 miles. Plus numerous back to back 400+ miles with a fully loaded backpack. Ughhh... :cry Have 13,000 total miles on the bike and am having way too much much fun. I don't even ride my poor neglected BMW K1200RS anymore.

I really don't mind the seat too much. With that said, I will probably upgrade to a Boejangles Rally seat as soon as I have the extra $$
  5. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    how is it two up over long distances.
  6. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    It`s worst than solo; can`t move around much, can`t stand up on the pegs or use the rear pegs but still managed an 800 miles weekend! :wink:
  7. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    It's not that bad once it breaks in. I've done 1000km days on it without any more discomfort than any other machine.
  8. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 2000 miles on mine and the seat works fine, tho I have never gone over 200 miles at a time.
  9. Dinko

Dinko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand why everone bitches about the seat on this bike... if you want an ultra comfy seat buy a Gold Wing!

The bike rocks and any seat discomfort at all should be forgotten by the shear pleasure one gets from riding the bike.

I have 2000+ miles on mine and the seat hasn't bothered me at all. Try riding a mountain bike for an hour or more.... that will give you something to complain about. The 950 is a couch.
  10. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett Just you wait

Oddometer:
    I find that after a 5 hour ride the seat is slightly less uncomfortable than a 1150GS or Honda VFR. It's been re-covered in Alcantara but that's all.

I don't know if the seat moulds to you over time or your arse just gets used to it.
  11. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    9500 km in 12 days... :D

uhmm... a lot of heat comes under the seat... because the exaust...

but is good in winter... :D
  12. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ditto that. Now if someone could just make a Peltier cooler for the seat, now that would really be COOL :D

13. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    Ditto, I'm with dinko. As with riding a bicycle for long times/distances, you become accustomed to it in fairly short order if ridden regularly. In addition, the foot pegs are positioned so that it's easy to stand or simply push down to relieve the pressure periodically. I've noticed that some of the after-market seats are wider than stock, and believe that to install one of those would degrade the performance of the bike in off-road riding situations. If a person is going to ride exclusively on roads, there are better bikes than the 950.
  14. SMAC

SMAC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Better ??? but definitely not more fun !

Agree with your other comments though.
  15. ewok1

ewok1 ewok1

Oddometer:
    i love that bush coined word. i treat the 950 seat like i would my bicycle seat. i know eventually my butt and the 950 seat will get used to each other. in the meantime i move around a lot. no big deal.
  16. munichboy

munichboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did 2,000 miles in 4 days - one day was 700 miles. Must admit at points it was pretty uncomfortable.......but there are indeed lots of seat options.

Had the bike a year now and the seat seems to be "broken in" although not done many LONG trips recently.

But this bike rocks and I reckon has more street cred than the Beemers. I'll get a Beemer when I am a 50+ thanks!
  17. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Geez thanks. I am 50++++ and I won't be tradin for no BMW. I find the seat gradually gets better. When new I rode 30 miles and got monkey butt, now it takes 200. I only have 2000 on the bike!
  18. munichboy

Oddometer:
    Sorry Lone Ranger - didn't wanna offend - just trying to say I reckon the KTM is the way cooler machine...........the BMW just ain't in the same game when it comes to streetcred.

I am 38 and go snowboarding which makes me feel kinda old sometimes when I look around in the bars - except when I blast past the youngsters at twice the speed off piste - so only as young as you feel!
  19. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:

Sorry munich boy - Us 50+ year olds are very offended and demand that you retract your statment. :wink:
  20. munichboy

Oddometer:
    So you guys in your 50's can still ride a KTM then huh? Next you'll be telling me you still have sex at that age...........:D