Attn 950S owners, mileage check, regarding the seat?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by SQD8R, Jun 16, 2004.

1. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only in my dreams with the girl next door.
  2. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    Yeap!
    But not on the same day; it`s either one or the other & I can live with that! :thumb
  3. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I never rode mine for more than 1 hour without my sissy pad (Airhawk/Sheepskin) I just got my new leather cover Bill Mayer seat today but my bike is still in the shop getting the waterpump rebuilt I can't wait to try the new seat
  4. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm calling bullshit! I regularly do 100 plus mile stints on my bicycle and I think the 950 seat still sucks. I even have a Corbin seat now and it's just no fun for more than two hours at a time when you're forced to slab. The upside is once you hit the dirt you instantly forget all about the seat! :thumb
  5. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:

You must have been that other "old guy" I saw at the lodge in Garmisch??? :D
  6. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    I thought that corbin "broke-in" for you?

I did my own mods to the stock seat today. I'll see how it works this weekend.
  7. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    My corbin works great...... with the airhawk
  8. gorgopodaros

gorgopodaros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :huh :dunno
    what's with you guys ???
    eveybody is complaining about that seat.
    Hellooo, this is a SPORT bike.

Gee man .... what you guys were riding until now ?
    an IKEA sofa or what ???
  9. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    I kinda agree with this. The 950 is not a GS, Capo, Vstrom or other 'Adventure tourer' like that. It's the lightest, sportiest and sharpest all road around so no, it doesn't have the couch-like seat from a GS. I've looked at the Gel seat from KTM when I was at Sommer and put it on my bike. I's rounder and looks thicker than the stock seat (although it is lower). It just doesn't fit a 950. It looks silly and out-of-place IMO.

Nobody complains about the thin bricks on an R1, Ducati, Blade etc. either. Just comes with the territory.

On the other hand, there nothing wrong with improving your bike to your personal liking.
  10. dedes (sas)

dedes (sas) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb you are in my mind gorgopodaros
  11. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    I guess us old guys who ride big miles when we ride have learned that it okay to be comfortable in this life and have fun. A seat is such an easy thing to change that it no big deal. Every motorcycle I own came with a bad seat except my1970 Honda SL100 but then I don't ride it as I weigh more than it does. I weigh almost 300 LBS with my gear on and this has a bit to do with my problem with seats even a couch can get hard for me

Attached Files:

12. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    Holy smokes Greg -- you make that 950S look like a mini-bike! :eek1
  13. gorgopodaros

gorgopodaros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No shit man, you are huge !
    I must agree with you on the seat..... ehhm with such a bulk, I actually agree with you man whatever it is.... :eek1
  14. Singletrack

Singletrack Adventurer

Oddometer:

I can't believe your price difference! What are you quoted for the 950? At list the BMW is only $1000 more, then add a centrestand to the KTM. The BMW also has ABS and heated grips (standard?). Have you bought yet?

The seat is kind of awful. It burns bad at the end of a long day 8 hrs/600Km. But then just about any sportbike burns. That's what a 950 is. A sportbike. The GS is a touring bike.

Parts availability is a concern. I had a hard time getting both oil filters in Toronto. I ordered OEM carbon tank guards and the 16T front sprocket, and both backordered indefinitely. I hope other parts are better. The first service is expensive at about $400. But I imagine that BMW service will be pricy too.
  15. Singletrack

Singletrack Adventurer

Oddometer:

I can't believe your price difference! What are you quoted for the 950? At list the BMW is only $1000 more, then add a centrestand to the KTM. The BMW also has ABS and heated grips (standard?). Have you bought yet?

The seat is kind of awful. It burns bad at the end of a long day 8 hrs/600Km. But then just about any sportbike burns. That's what a 950 is. A sportbike. The GS is a touring bike.

Parts availability is a concern. I had a hard time getting both oil filters in Toronto. I ordered OEM carbon tank guards and the 16T front sprocket, and both backordered indefinitely. I hope other parts are better. The first service is expensive at about $400. But I imagine that BMW service will be pricy too.
  16. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I can't attest to the availability of the 16T chainring, but you might be able to get some really nice carbon tank guards from Big Twin (search this forum and you'll find him, or among the Inmates) who makes them. I had to wait about 5-6 weeks for mine, got them a couple of weeks back, and they are great, very well made and better coverage than others that I've seen, including the KTM guards. And I'd say that $400 for the 1000K service is quite reasonable, it's more than that (in US funds) here.
  17. jimbes

jimbes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Uh, yeah. They do. Go to Multistrada.net and take a look. NOBODY likes that seat. Don't have enough miles on my 950 yet to know, but both my other KTMs got gel seats made up. I'm thinking this one will too.

Hey Greg, those are some STYLIN' boots!
  18. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Thanks on the boots ditto on tha MTS seat and I'm doing a 600+ mile loop in the AM but I will have my trusty Airhawk/Sheepskin
  19. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    I was talking about real Ducati's here... :D 748s, 916s, 999s...
  20. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Now Max the MTS is a real Ducati you off all people with your love for supermoto would really like the MTS believe me its a real Duke. All character, uncomfortable, fast and fun