Attn 950S owners, mileage check, regarding the seat?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by SQD8R, Jun 16, 2004.

1. jimbes

jimbes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess if/when KTM makes that "sportbike" the real KTM guys will say it's not a real KTM. :-)
  2. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    It was only a joke in the context of the subject guys c'mon!

I know the MS and it was a serious contender before I bought my 950. Specifically because it seemed motard'ish'. Did a test ride too. It was OK. Good engine especially. But the ergos felt really awkward to me and it was more choppy and nervous then I like. And I still had that 'Alfa Romeo' like build quality feeling about it. Just or not.

But I can imagine that someone really goes for one. It is a good bike to ride.
  3. jimbes

jimbes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problem, I was almost expecting it. The MTS is my first Ducati. Only one I'm able to ride. With 40" legs, there wasn't one I'd have ever considered, until the MTS came along.

It's a FUN bike to ride. The ergos for me aren't great either. I'm sure hoping the 950 will be. I'm pretty sure it will. I'm also much more of a DP kinda rider. The MTS is NOT a DP bike. It's a sport bike with a DP-ish riding position. And the seat sucks almost as bad as a "real" Duc. :-)
  4. gregkirk

gregkirk GK

Oddometer:
    I have an 870 mile day over a 2400 mile, 4 day weekend.

I think the seat is fine.

GK
    ---
    KTM950
    SV650S
    WR426F
  5. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just finished riding my 950 home to Alaska from the bay area via Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Banff, Jasper, BC, and the Cassiar Hwy to the Yukon- I elected to mount the Corbin seat before leaving and have been happy with it. I have one of Barb's sheepskin covers on it and it is comfortable enough that yesterday I rode from Whitehorse to Anchorage, about 730 miles (14 hours total, with six delays for road construction). On the trip I made repeated 400 to 500 mile days and a few 600 milers. In spite of all the talk of how the 950 is to be regarded as a pure sports bike I found it to be a good all day companion with the change of seat. I had done a 500 mile day on the stock seat (with the sheepskin) and didn't feel too good afterward.
    I intend to keep the stock seat handy for rides that take me off road and use the Corbin for longer sit-down jaunts, where it's weight and width are less of an issue. The stock seat is fine for up to 300 miles a day but limits one's enthusiasiam beyond that.
  6. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Singletrack. The list price is only a $1,000.00 different in Canada sans ABS and factory alarm. THe ABS and alarm are non-optional options. So that adds on $1,800.00 for the ABs and over just under $600.00 for the alarm. That makes up most of the price difference.