ATTN: WI, where are you?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by yellow, Oct 24, 2005.

1. rizzo27

rizzo27 Next!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in Dubuque but also have a place NW of Eagle River in Vilas county. This season has me on a 350 exc-f and a KLR650. I will be up north often this year doing some remodeling work and would love to take some breaks for ride days if someone is around.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You probably already have these . . .

CannonTracks - DS/ADV Based Out of Eagle River (WI) - Also Central Rally Eagle River Catalog | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

CannonTracks - DS/ADV Based Out of Boulder Junction (WI) - Also Central ADV Rally Ride Catalog | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

The Tamaracks Off-Highway Motorcycle Trail - Vilas County, Wisconsin (vilaswi.com)
    rizzo27 likes this.
  3. rizzo27

Oddometer:
    Yessir, I rode several of them at the CADVR a couple years ago on my 500 excf. Our place isn't far from tamaracks. We are off of starlake road. It's on a couple of your tracks.
    BLucare, Bultaco206 and Cannonshot like this.
  4. ribmtrider

ribmtrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rizzo I’m in that neighborhood holler when you are around. Tim
    rizzo27 likes this.
  5. slider162

slider162 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been lurking around here for a little while. My last CADVR with an ADV was 2013 at Hi Pines before I sold my Tiger in 2014. Wasn't a lot of off highway riding to do in S. Central WI. Made a few trips up to Boulder Junction the last couple of years to CADVR for the people and food. Looks like I will be back in the game come Friday with a new to me ADV. Looking for some new scenery and willing to pitch in where I can if there are any work days coming up this spring.
    rizzo27 likes this.
  6. Midwesterner

Midwesterner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm also in the South Central area. I fell into this motorcycle obsession about 6 years ago. I currently own three bikes: Street Triple, F700GS, and KLX250. I enjoy bouncing around among the various types of riding: sporty day trips to the curvy and hilly of roads in the Driftless, touring, track days, and (more recently) dual-sport and ADV riding. The old adage, "jack of many trades, master of none" is certainly applicable to my riding skills. I got the KLX last fall and have only had a couple opportunities to ride it on single-track. I can tell already that I'm really going to enjoy the learning process.
    Ajacks likes this.
  7. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still in Burlington, now on a Super Tenere. Good to see some new members in the area!
    rizzo27 likes this.
  8. Mow-ree

Mow-ree Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't think I've posted in this thread. I relocated to North Prairie, WI (SW Waukesha county) last year. Right off the KMSD. Have a weestrom for the road and a couple betas for off (xtrainer and evo200).
  9. busapilot

busapilot Nucking Futs!

Oddometer:
    Brillion

2018 BMW K1600B
  10. OverSquareEng

OverSquareEng Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Milwaukee. Currently trying to move from a DRZ400 to a F800GS
  11. rizzo27

Oddometer:
    Maybe we can ride again this year. Hopefully somewhere that we don't have to pick your tenere up 20 times though. :lol3
  12. DSquared

Oddometer:
    I've gotten a bit better but the damned bike is still gravitationally challenged. I do have Hugellendshaft and Ripfest on the calendar. I'm not sure the WDSR rides are gonna happen this year. Are you on a GS now? I could probably repay some of those pickups. Haha
    rizzo27 likes this.
  13. rizzo27

Oddometer:
    I think it was a mud and tire issue that ride not your ability. I downsized this year to the two bikes in my signature. And see you at Hugellandschaft!
    DSquared likes this.
  14. BGRooster1

BGRooster1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Residing in the Township of Greenbush, Sheboygan County in the beautiful Northern Kettle Moraine state forest area.
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  15. Nophix

Nophix Get Lost In The Moment

Oddometer:
    Stevens Point
  16. Nophix

Nophix Get Lost In The Moment

Oddometer:
    If you’re still in Point, hit me up sometime. I usually only see the HD crowd and squid crews.
  17. Zelfikar

Zelfikar n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi folks! Hopefully this is an OK place to ask this . . . So I'm new not just to ADV/DS riding but to riding in general. I'm taking my MSF course in a couple weeks and after that (unless I end up totally hating riding I guess haha), I'd love to join the community around Madison. I'm looking around at the WOHMA site and such and I'm not seeing a lot of actual trails listed around Dane county so I'm wondering where you folks in the area ride? Also are there any regular group rides or meetups that you folks like going to? I'm kind of using these answers to decide on a bike as well; I'm torn between getting a small ADV like a Versys x 300 or a DS like the KLX300.
  18. DSquared

Oddometer:
    OHM and even ORV trails are very limited in the southern half of WI. The easiest is the Cheese Country trail but it is rails to trails so very flat and very popular with SxS and ATVs. The best gateway drug to ADV riding is the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (TWAT) and you can find tracks for that here on ADV. That is a mix of gravel roads, curvy paved roads and some ATV trails. The better OHM riding is up near Vilas county and better yet the UP of Michigan. If you have a truck/trailer getting to those areas on the KLX would be my preference, otherwise something more roadworthy is more desirable in your location. Driftless Dual Sport Riders just started recently and offer a couple rides at the old Badger Ammo plant but that is on specific days only.

Welcome and feel free to post any questions I may have created.
    Zelfikar likes this.
  19. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    GPS Files Archives - Cannonshot.net

Wisconsin Area Rides/Events | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)
    9Realms, Zelfikar and bomber60015 like this.
  20. Zelfikar

Zelfikar n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you! And yes, good guess, I have more questions. :) So would a small ADV bike be able to handle the kind of trails we have in southern Wisconsin, or like the trails that are at the Driftless DS Riders events? Or would I need at least a dual sport? Everyone makes it sound like DSes are so miserable on the highway, I'm a little afraid to get one as a first bike if I'm going to be stuck on mostly pavement at least at first. I'm also only 5'7" so I'm not sure how much DS I can even sit on, haha (although I have a pretty long inseam, 31" so maybe I'd be OK).