ATTN: WI, where are you?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by yellow, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Badger2021 - Tim Clarke (smugmug.com)
    bomber60015 and Dangeross like this.
  2. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    As Mr Cannonshot(WOHMA lead? Bryan) posted above, there's many tracks to follow. And you can see a spread from 250 DSs up to 1200 ADV bikes at the Badger event. I would say wait until you take the MSF to decide what to buy. The one I took had a 250 DS that no one wanted to ride. I did determine that a KLR650 was what I wanted for a first bike. I beat that bike up pretty hard trying to teach myself how to ride off-road. It was nice when I bought it and after 2 years it was totaled. So in that vein I'll recommend going cheap with something you don't mind dropping and is easy to pick up. Age/fitness play into how miserable riding singles without fairings. I'm 31, in ok shape and won't do it. I'd rather push the limits of my Tenere 1200 off-road. It helps/hurts right now that OHMs that lean towards DS or ADV are very popular right now. Your buy in will be inflated but if you find you don't like the bike you buy, you can likely sell or trade it for little or no loss. I have a 32" inseam and you'll probably fit ok on the two bikes you've listed. Not to mention most bikes in this segment can be easily lowered.
  3. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Zelfikar

Zelfikar n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you! All good advice. I'm doing my MSF with Riding Solutions who, it looks like, only have Z125s. At least they are Kawasakis I guess? They miiiiiiiight be too teeny for what I'm looking for otherwise. Just maybe. XD
  5. ElvisOrangutan

ElvisOrangutan n00b

Oddometer:
    To add to the good suggestions thus far - Richard Bong's kiddie track and at least loop 1, plus Tigerton's ATV loop and their challenge track, would be other nice places to learn. I've spent entire days just running each of those on repeat. Between distance from home and available camping/food/gas, I've felt I can focus more on skill building in these places, before venturing north and maybe contending with those other variables.
  6. Zelfikar

Zelfikar n00b

Oddometer:
    Great tip, thank you! Yeah I definitely want to start slow, especially since I don't think I'll be starting with a dirt or DS bike but a small ADV.
  7. Midwesterner

Midwesterner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of deciding where to ride; this won't help with off-road / trail riding, but Wisconsin DOT just made their Rustic Road map interactive: https://www.fox6now.com/news/wisconsin-rustic-roads-interactive-maps-just-released

Separately, I also use Gravelmap.com on a regular basis to help incorporate a few unpaved segments into my planned routes. This webpage is focused on bicycling,* so be aware that many of the highlighted roads prohibit motor vehicles.

(*I find it amusing how trends in motorcycle and trends in bicycling seem to move together. Just as ADV / dualsport is the big thing in motorcycling right now, the whole bicycle world is going crazy for "gravel grinding" and "bike packing". A "gravel bike" is essentially a drop-bar road bike with slightly more relaxed geometry (for downhill stability as well as comfort) and slightly wider tires.)
    Zelfikar likes this.
  8. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer: