Auburn to Reno and back again: Two eventful days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by SanGJan, Sep 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    Organized by Mootsuno and launched from Sertguy's in Auburn, we didn't know what we were in for on our low-on-miles-high-on-adventure two day tour of the Tahoe fire road surrounds. The pictures are worth a thousand words... Here is the start... IMG_7269.JPG IMG_7167.JPG IMG_7171.JPG IMG_7180.JPG
    Cereal KLR, lvscrvs and USCGC130 like this.
  2. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    Along the route...old snow sheds up near Donner Summit on our way East. It was beyond cool riding through there. IMG_7182.JPG IMG_7189.JPG IMG_7193.JPG
    lvscrvs, USCGC130 and Bors like this.
  3. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    The rest of the ride that day was awesome...lots of rocky fire roads, and then the beautiful sweeping decent into Reno on the Mt. Rose highway... A lovely day all told. But then in the morning...our friend Tom's husky would not start. I'll have to let one of the boys tell you about it because I couldn't do the problem justice with any kind of lame explanation. Anyway, after about 3 hours of 5 men trying (how many men does it take to fix...never mind...). Tom called AAA for a ride for him and his bike back to Auburn for what turned out to be a 5 hour wait for the rest of us.. IMG_7204.JPG
  4. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    IMG_7206.JPG IMG_7207.JPG Day two... Reno to Auburn. Hit the fire roads back near Verdi...verdi pretty back there :rofl
    Bors likes this.
  5. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    IMG_7212.JPG IMG_7216.JPG We stopped for a lunch break at Webber lake. Gorgeous.
    Bors likes this.
  6. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    Little did we know that behind us Chris had hit a section of whoop whoop that didn't fancy the big Africa twin he was on (his brother's bike)... the result was a cracked oil case (ask the boys for the real description of the damage that I'm sure they will post here...) among other things. Fortunately other than being a little banged up, Chris was fine. The bike was not however. Quick epoxy to the rescue! It took an hour to dry... IMG_7225.JPG IMG_7229.JPG IMG_7238.JPG IMG_7239.JPG
  7. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    IMG_7236.JPG IMG_7244.JPG Needless to say, all of the oil exited the bike upon impact... After the fix, we wondered if it would hold the one quart we had and the one we borrowed from the camp host... IMG_7236.JPG IMG_7244.JPG
  8. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    Despite the zero registering dip stick, we took off on the quickest dual sport road out of there... but stopped for directions and another quart of oil.. IMG_7245.JPG
  9. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    But sadly, forgot the oil cap at that stop...so had to improvise a ways down the road... IMG_7247.JPG IMG_7254.JPG

Attached Files:

10. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    Despite ...or because of...the extreme MacGyver shenanigans, the rest of the ride was LOVELY. IMG_7261.JPG IMG_7262.JPG IMG_7256.JPG
  11. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    IMG_7265.JPG And we were home to Sertguy's safe and sound by dark. An epic 2 day adventure if there ever was one! Thanks boys, I'll never forget it!
    KLRalph likes this.
  12. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
  13. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
  14. Sertguy

Sertguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Custom oil cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SanGJan, USCGC130 and selecw like this.
  15. USCGC130

USCGC130 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the write up and posting the pictures. this was quite the little 2 day trip, look forward to riding with you all again.
    SanGJan likes this.
  16. SanGJan

SanGJan Janet

Oddometer:
    You too, Charles! Did you and Sertguy ride Monday???
    USCGC130 likes this.
  17. Alger

Alger n00b

Oddometer:
    Great write up and photos, I'll be up in Soda Springs this weekend and will have to go through the tunnels, didnt realize you could take the bikes through there. I'd love to see a map of the route you ended up taking, I assume you came through Forest Hill through the The Cedars below Soda Springs?

Matt in Sacramento
  18. mootsuno

mootsuno Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    SanGJan asked me to post our Spot tracks so here they are. We traveled in sort of
    counterclockwise. They're a little sparse the first day between Forest hill and Soda Springs.

Screenshot_2018-09-25-13-48-13.png
  19. mootsuno

mootsuno Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's the Africa Twin quick story. Kris was last in line riding and hadn't shown up at our
    latest regroup spot. Kurt, his brother decided to ride back and check on him. After a few minutes I decided
    to ride back too. A half mile later I pull to find Kurt lifting the AT out of a pool of oil in the middle of the road.
    Apparently Kris hit a few whoops and the front suspension bottomed out and the bike went over and the stator
    cover hit a rock and it punched a hole about 1" x 2.25" inches in it.

Kris was a little beat up but ok. We towed the AT back to where everybody was waiting with my KLX. So what are we
    going to do? Get another tow truck, tow it further, ride back to Sertguy's and drive back one of the trucks?
    Nah, let's try to fix it. Sertguy had some Quick Steel epoxy putty so we thought we give it a try. We shoved a dollar
    bill into the hole and started filing and sanding the area. It also had cracked underneath the puncture that went
    all the way back to the side case. We used a strip of the QS on the crack then made a patch to cover the puncture.

The instructions said wait an hour for full cure so that's what we did. The AT hold four quarts of oil and Kurt had one.
    SanGJan went down to to camp host and bummed another. We poured both in hit and hit the starter. Fired right up
    and the oil pressure light went out. Let it run a few minutes and no leaks, let's go! Kurt had to ride conservatively which
    is quite difficult for him. But then we came across the some hunters camping and they were kind enough t supply
    another quart. We're in better shape now. That is until Kurt looked down and found oil all over his leg.

Yep, no oil cap. We either left it off (most likely) or it fell off. Well the right diameter stick and some flaming duct tape
    and were good to go. Everything held all the way back to Auburn.

When we were back at Sertguy's and with the damaged AT, Kurt exclaimed "That ride was AWESOME!"

I think we all agreed with that.
    tiger800xxc likes this.
  20. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty bummed I was unable to make this adventure.