Aug. - Oct, 2019 Czech-Slovakia-Hungary-Austria-Italy Recommendations

Discussion in 'Europe' started by NSFW, Jul 2, 2019.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gdansk is about 500 miles on country roads from Berlin. When I get there, I will still a few hundreds miles of thread left on the rear.

Hopefully able to find a tire shop there where I can buy a Mitas or Mefo 130/80 x 17.

Any recommendation is appreciated.
  2. NSFW

Oddometer:
    found the tire, Mitas E08 and will be delivered to Warsaw tomorrow. Looks like the E07 will last for another 1.5k mile but not pushing it. The farther i move away from the big city, my chances get slimmer.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you went with 130/80 instead of stock 120/80? When you think Mitas E07 is finished and cords are going to show up in next couple hundred miles it's at 50% mark.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/in-c...nd-19-and-23-k-miles-might-look-like.1237542/
  4. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does it matter when it's for highway-use only anyway?
    In which case there's better stuff around than the Mitas 07... like the original Tourance, Shinko 705s, Metzler 88/ 888Ultra etc etc
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used all of those (except older 880 instead of 888) and would pick E07 all day long. Yes Tourance would have an edge in twisties and for what it is surprisingly good off pavement when new but E07 is only a little worse on pavement and much better on dirt while being cheaper and longer lasting.. 'nuff said
  6. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Fair enough.
    Same here, used all of them (and many more) on all sorts of bikes in all sorts of conditions... some still on the current fleet.
    Then again, none of them has ever lasted beyond the 6000mi mark (at best, canvas showing) in nearly 50 years of riding, rears usually less.
    (I always copped the Monday- production obviously :-)
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    the spec is 130/80 - 17 and that's what was on the bike when i bought it used.

i like the E07 but at the time, it was out of stock in many places so i bought the E08 out of desperation. next year, i will switch back to the E07 since the countries that i will be visiting will involve some gravel and dirt roads. not worried about the pavement part since the XCountry can't lean hard in corners because the pegs or my boots are already making contact.

as for the front, i will switch to TKC80 simply because mine is not tubeless rims and easy to fix an inner tube flat. the Mitas E07s are bitch to remove and install. i never used a tire machine until i put the E07 prior to shipping the bike to EU. if i have a flat wish me luck.

i am considering on doing the Outex tubeless conversion which i used on the rear of my Africa Twin and satisfied with the outcome. i have the kit for the front too which i will do once the bike is due for a new front.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bitch is understatement; at some point we had bike in the air on kickstand and it wasn't enough to de-bead it. And front is even worse to mount/dismount.

I have the 07 rear and valve/tape kit waiting for me will install it together.. at least you can plug when you need it.

How are you managing up with small tank? Do you have xtank on your bike?
    NSFW likes this.
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i had the oversized xtank and had to give it up due to interference with the side rack. i can do 110 miles before the reserved fuel light goes off. there was an instance where the nearest gas station is 110 miles away. no problem i said to myself. when i get to the gas station, there was a road construction right at the driveway of the station. google told me get off the highway and gas is available in a small town 15 miles away.

[​IMG]
    cyclopathic likes this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just don't go with this type of range to kazahstan, northern Uzbekistan and Mongolia. I ran several times out of fuel on Superdual with 18L tank though after I made a point stopping at every gas station it was never more than 12L.. I think was 16 once.

I'm putting Acerbis and then build racks around on my XCo should be enough for lower 48 and south of the border.. hopefully.
    NSFW likes this.