aus/kiwi syndicate

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by wairau, Aug 5, 2019.

1. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    i post this idea in the kiwi forum because the aussies that frequent it, i feel are the type of guys that i think i'd feel comfortable sharing an arrangement with.

it could go something like this:

each rider buys a share to get in
    the shareholders collectively buy 2 equal bikes. one on each side of the tasman.
    fully legal, insured and road worthy and professionally serviced.
    gps and (say) universal soft luggage racks fitted.
    all fixed monthly costs shared equally.
    a per km or per day charge to use.
    bikes are cleaned, garaged and live on a charger.
    tyre change outs, rental to non shareholders and lots of other stuff i haven't thought about yet to be agreed.

i would be happy to be the agent on this side of the tasman. i'm thinking tiger 800 or similar.

would there be any appetite for this?
    Dukehunt likes this.
  2. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm selling Red so could go in for something like this. I like the idea of a known bike across the Tasman that can be used.
  3. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    I've often thought about buying a bike in New Zealand and then paying an inmate to store it for me - this idea could be a better option. :-)
    Dukehunt likes this.
  4. Kiweez

Kiweez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely a good idea ...I would be keen to utilise a bike in Western Australia (Perth) instead of hiring!
  5. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    After having tried just about everything else over the years (rent, buy+sell, private loaner, bike-swap etc)... it certainly makes sense.
    Been dreaming along similar lines but never really thought about the practicalities and/ or detail.

This might be the first stumbling block, though...with one bike in Oz, which might be stored/depot-ed in Sydney or Adelaide or where ever at the time, how could a Perth-request be handled?
    Or the other way around...if the NZ bike is in AKL but I'd really rather spend my 2 weeks on the SI etc.

Do the bikes have to be returned to pickup location? Or drop off in the next capital city with trans-tasman flight connections? Truck bike back to base then? Or maybe another local "groupie" stores it until the next pickup?

Not trying to make this difficult, just musing about some details. The financials should be easy enough to handle by a trustworthy party on either side.
    Charges per kilometer make the most sense to me as they relate to wear+tear and service costs.
    Which type of bike? Touring-slanted, gravel-slanted, 2-up capabilities?
    Maybe insurance could be an issue (at least in Oz).

Would it make sense to use existing 2.hand bikes (I.E. Red or Nev's got a couple of bikes on the market...)
  6. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    yeah, it was a brain fart on my end. the more i thought about it afterwards, the deeper the rabbit hole got. doable, but there'd need to be significant buy in, from probably 4-6 guys on each side.

registered club? how to handle the points from camera fines? how to sell your share later? etc etc.

i'm sure it could be done, but reluctant to kick off all that if there's only likely 2-3 guys (total) who would be serious about getting their wallets out :dunno
  7. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Not a brainfart at all mate...and well aware of the pitfalls and the $$ required to get going.
    Agree with all of your last post...but I think there's merit in it to take it further and at least chuck this onto a pm basis for the start... just to get some outlines drawn.
    I'm in it for a few grand if it can be made to work for all.
    Selling my share lateron?
    Hmmm...spending ~$1500/ fortnight on rental each time I come across I figure things are squared after a couple of rides and around 7000-8000km from me.
    And I'd be happy to take Red around for a spin...or a DR650/ KLR/XT/V-Strom...it doesn't have to be anything special or "exciting"....NZ-roads and places will provide the excitement already.
    Ain't that the idea?
  8. Kempy

Kempy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Watching with interest, after shipping a bike to OZ and back would love to go back but the cost of shipping doesn't make sense coupled with the hassle. So yeah maybe.
  9. wass

wass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something like reciprocal storage would also work well for those who hop across the ditch regularly.
    I have a 701 in NZ and a 690 in Oz, and free storage in Oz with relatives, works like a charm (for me at least :-))
    I go over at least once a year, been over 5 times now. Initially bike hire looked about AU$3000 per trip, instead bought a 690 over there for 8k.
    Can still sell the 690 one day and recoup most of that, bike has already paid for itself.
  10. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great for a private arrangement, methinks...but something like a 690/701 is too hot and expensive for me to step into a "shared arrangement". They're not exactly "long-term pluggers" and I really want to have a dead-reliable, no fuss bike to ride "over there".
    The reason the Stroms/ Trannies, DR's etc are used as standard fare by rental mobs all around the globe.

Agreed...done that once (and it barely broke even versus 5.5 weeks longterm rental rates)....never again.
    It's rent, buy or something like what this topic is all about.
    Kempy likes this.
  11. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great idea in spite of the logistical wrinkles. I won't be in a position to go riding in Straya anytime soon (particularly solo) but I'd rent it rather than ship if I was.

FWIW I would imagine those wanting to use the bike would simply arrange their bike holiday to suite wherever the bike/s are stored. That may rule some places out especially in Straya but it's a huge country so that's to be expected. Pick a city and they'll come.
  12. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont know if you could register the bike as owned by a syndicate, at least in NZ. I also agree with the comment about a need for different types of bikes and different places. I'm wondering if there's a simpler way.

Would a more formal bike swap syndicate work? This gets rid of the ownership issue and potentially offers a lot more options of type and location. You would only join if you actually want to ride in the other country. You sign up by offering your bike for loan to the group.

The main risk is that your bike gets totalled/stolen/whatever. Chances are its already insured for that.
    KiwiPewe and glitch_oz like this.
  13. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    I think this idea has merit
  14. KiwiPewe

KiwiPewe Coddiwomple Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would be interested in that, plus there would be inmates further afield ( like US of A) who would be interested in this.I can think of at least two right now who i would loan my 9fiddy no worries.
  15. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    I've already lent out Red and will be again to a friend from Sweden early in the new year
    KiwiPewe and nevgriff64 like this.
  16. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    With the right group (ie the regulars on here) it could also work well for in-country swaps? It takes me 3 to 4 days to get to the happy hunting grounds of the SI. If you only have a week that sucks. But with a cheap plane flight you can be there in hours. Only problem is not many would want to travel south to north. Most kiwis seem unaware that there is moto fun to be had around Auckland...

The same probably/definitely applies in Oz. Its a big place. Or so I've heard.

Basically you just need to be able to trust your fellow bikers and not be an a***hole and it should work!!

I'll be interested when the scheme extends to Europe!!
    glitch_oz and KiwiPewe like this.
  17. Terry A

Terry A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in Perth.
    I have a DR 650 not being used much. ( 2 other bikes) Have been toying with selling or swapping for something similar in NZ.
    I am from CHCH and travel back every 6 months for a week or 2.
    Message me if interested
  18. Ohuraboy

Ohuraboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The easy way for this to happen is by way of forming a rental company. Those who want to be involved become shareholders. The capital to buy a bike or bikes is paid by those shareholders then when you ride it you pay a rental fee. This can be set low but enough to cover insurance, maintenance, storage and some administrative costs. It can be as big or small as needed with only one bike or many. It does require someone to take the lead and organise but if it's kept with the view of cheap riding with some capital outlay then I would think there would be 10/12 like minded people who can stump up with some cash to be involved.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  19. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Ever set up and ran a company before? (as in P/L , shareholders, ASIC compliance, PAYG-tax reporting etc etc).
    The legal, tax, insurance, compliance, accounting+ government etc bullshit to deal with is a solid part-time job in itself.
    Been doing that for the last 30+ years for a small family business, no way in hell I'd ever add another time + life-sapping millstone around my neck.

In fact, being close to retirement getting rid of the company is THE most desirable item I'm looking forward to (otherwise I'd keep the place open for a few more years as I really love what I'm doing).

Apart from the fact that by the time all cost is accounted for, accountants paid, ASIC registration paid and a 100 other things, the per-head cost
    (added to the minimum-rental-payment for usage of bike) would easily exceed any commercial rental rates.

Oh...it also needs a company either side of the ditch as they're a legal "person" and responsible as such to the local authorities... so that's 2 lots of the above.
    oldbeer and Ducatijim like this.
  20. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Private arrangements can work absolutely fine.
    I could well imagine jointly buying a bike from ADV-inmate Dooby in Zagreb/ Croatia (who looks after all the rego, insurance and legal stuff...as well as organizing repairs/ servicing/ tyres etc. in between stints if needed) and sharing that for a few years or so with some other parties, before splitting the proceeds of a sale.
    It's easy enough to set up...and there are now direct flights from NZ/AUS to Zagreb via the Gulf-States. No need to finish up in a rain-soaked UK/ Ireland :-)