Aus Plane Wrecks, where are they, plan them into a ride

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BygDaddee, Apr 27, 2019.

1. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Detail the plane wrecks you know or have visited so others can plan them into a ride. Dont just list a town name many will not know, detail where it is located.
    Are they easy to get too or a hard walk.

Spare a thought as a lot of these were military and lives lost in the cause, and others just civilian tragedy's.
    jardine, Beza and Blakduk like this.
  2. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Kroombit Tops, Central Queensland, Australia. Located between Monto and Calliope. Very easy short 100m walk from carpark

Lat: -24.357222
    Long: 150.960556

Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.

See the remains of a WWII Liberator bomber that crashed at Kroombit Tops in 1945

Beautiful Betsy is the remains of a World War II Liberator Bomber aircraft which lay hidden and lost in the Kroombit Tops underbrush until a ranger saw a glint of silver after a backburn and discovered it in 1994.

USAAF B-24D-53-CO Liberator, #42-40387, "Beautiful Betsy", of the 528th Bomb Squadron of the 380th Bomb Group went missing on 26 February 1945 with the loss of 8 lives (6 American and 2 British service personnel). The Liberator was on a Fat Cat mission from Fenton to Eagle Farm airfield.

Kroombit Tops is a national park in Central Queensland, Australia. Located between Monto and Calliope in The Boyne Valley, it is 399 km northwest of Brisbane. Cania Gorge National Park is located approximately 25 km to the south.

6FDFAA99-D694-4CDE-9844-3FB0A7466E22.jpeg
    8AAA2696-9EF7-402F-AC19-0248984297A1.jpeg
    A8825AE1-B07C-4514-A722-9BB77942ABEF.jpeg
    94D39474-1C8D-40F3-8EAF-1D1EF3C3A64C.jpeg
    AUSSIEADV, jardine, Clay-doh and 8 others like this.
  3. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Angry Pete, DOT and BygDaddee like this.
  4. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Who next

Canarvon Gorge ?

Mt Bogong ?

Mt Supurbus ?

There out there
  5. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was at the lookout to Mt Supurbus on Friday there is a story about plane wreck at the viewing platform but I don't know how to get to the actual site, it's a cracking run up the hill. and over the other side to Legume.

There is a Catalina plane wreck on Lord Howe Island and an easy walk from the road just up from settement beach, and a memorial on Lagoon rd.

[​IMG]
    Tomdog and BygDaddee like this.
  6. Frapple

Frapple Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Visited 'Beautiful Betsy' this week . Looks like people are behaving themselves and not nicking much of the remains . Doesn't seem to be much change in the three years since I was there last . Really interesting site and a great ride .
    Used to regularly ride a loop below the lincoln wreck , then back over Superbus years ago starting at Emuvale . Was my favorite ride way back when . They closed access at some time and the track got lost to the bush . Now it is hike in only as I understand . The site has been badly pilfered over the years . I came across a couple of clowns dragging a big casting with a piece of rope . Why, I don't know . would have been a hell of a job getting it out . That was 30 years ago.
    Visited a couple of wrecks on Cape York when up there doing the Croc Run . Plus a light plane wreck on the beach . Again 30 years ago .
    Angry Pete and BygDaddee like this.
  7. Frapple

Frapple Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  9. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:

My late brother was in the RAAF at the time and was involved in the recovery operation.
  10. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Is that the same light plane that was in an old 80's issue of ADB, Geoff Ballard was in the group on a KX500 (I think), with his wife on the back (may have been a different crock run trip, and I think there was a pic of someone riding off the wing? My memory is a bit fuzzy on the details.
  11. gordonmichaellee

gordonmichaellee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is still a few bits of the Stinson visible in Lamington National park. It’s a 5-10 hour walk upstream from Christmas Creek. Thinks thorns, leeches, snakes strangling vines, all the good things. Very steep and muddy. It was great fun.

Great camping and swimming at Christmas Creek!

If you fancy a slightly easier then you could try Westrays grave.
    Upstream but less steep and only about 3 -5 hours return.

Cheers Gordo’
    BygDaddee and Cruz like this.
  12. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Go looking for VH-MDX in Barrington Tops. Cessna 210 with 5 on board when down about 1981. Never been found.
    3legs and Burnsy like this.
  13. Frapple

Frapple Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah . I was the next year I think . The plane had one wing broken by then and everyone was using it as a jump . I was 19 and decided I wanted to do the Croc run . Bought a 2nd hand tt600 two weeks before I left . Rode it up from Warwick . Changed to knobbies at Cairns . Did the event . Did the trip to the tip . Rode home . By myself . Had not heard the term ' Adventure Rider' then . But I guess that was an adventure ride!
  14. Frapple

Frapple Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is also a Dehavilland vintage biplane crash site on mount Kandanga . Off Hart road which is itself a great ride . Apparently there is still a bit of wreckage in a tree but I don't know exactly where and haven't been able to find it . Gps co-ordinates would be great if anyone has them . It crashed in bad weather in 2012 .
  15. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    _20190428_173017.JPG
    _20190428_172932.JPG

Mt Archer escarpment, supposedly some remains of Shirley Strachan's Bell 47 were left there.
    _20190428_174619.JPG
    Squily and BygDaddee like this.
  16. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Did you change the oil? Worry about service intervals? Buy farkles/bling? Post a 'which tyre' thread.... ?
  17. MultiDV8

MultiDV8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been to that site. It was hard to find and we had ridden within a few metres of it several times. I'll find the co-ordinates and post them.
    Ironically I rode along Harts Rd the day it crashed, only a couple of hours before and it was really weird fog / low cloud like I'd never seen before.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  18. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    On the road to Canarvon Gorge Central Qld South of Rolleston

Address: Wyseby Road, about 3 kilometres south of Rewan Station, Rewan, 4702
    State: QLD
    Area: AUS
    GPS Coordinates: Lat: -24.976962
    Long: 148.388941
    Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.

https://www.ozatwar.com/ozcrashes/qld63.htm

The Dakota C-47 of the 21st Troop Carrier Squadron of the 374th Troop Carrier Group left Batchelor airfield in the Northern Territory at 7.30am on Tuesday 16 November 1943 heading for Archerfield airfield in Brisbane, via Gorrie, Daly Waters and Cloncurry. When the the C-47 left Batchelor airfield it carried the American crew of four plus an American Sergeant and fourteen Australian soldiers.

The aircraft was not able to land at Gorrie because the airfield was out of order, so they landed at Daly Waters where it picked up another passenger. RAAF A/Sgt Pitchford. They arrived at Cloncurry at 1245 pm where three more Australian soldiers boarded the aircraft. The aircraft broke up in mid-air in a violent storm over Rewan Station south of Springsure (about 200 miles south west of Rockhampton, and about 400 miles south of Mackay) at 3.00 pm killing the crew of four and all fifteen passengers on board .

The aircraft seemed to have disintegrated during a wild electrical storm as determined by a watch that had stopped at 4.25 p.m. There were no survivors. The bodies of the deceased were brought to a small park in Springsure before being relocated to Rockhampton. The American dead are believed to have been eventually returned to the United States of America after the war ended, in late 1947 or early 1948 and the 14 Australians were buried in Rockhampton Cemetery.

A7609338-553E-4CE9-A955-C3CEF7C62AA6.png
    08960374-9BB6-4582-97E4-827A38C10823.jpeg
    DE15B8D2-85E8-4DE6-BDC2-377EBE93C099.jpeg
    A0ACC15F-C98F-413C-A749-F39673E9AA02.jpeg
    AC1D850F-4E0A-4F38-9BEE-C9EC5D314A2A.jpeg
  19. Frapple

Frapple Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I changed the oil at some stage! . What's a farkle? Bling? . I was 19 so the cheapest tires it was .

I was at the rider breifing after riding up for 5 days . Mother dearest (who hated bikes) had made me promise to call regularly to let her know I hadn't died . But I got side tracked . Think I called the first night .Didn't get around to it the next night . Meant to call from Cairns but ended up I rode on and camped at Cape Trib . No Phone . Next night two old guys adopted me and fed me beer at Coen . Next night I was in weipa with my billet family . It was all so exciting for a young country boy . Next morning I am at the briefing with 200 other riders . Some guy taps me on the shoulder . I think? I recognise him from the bike shop I changed tires at in Cairns . Are you Wayne Kelly? . Yep . Ya better ring ya Mum !
    Richarde1605, Tomdog, ferals5 and 6 others like this.
  20. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I had been told there is nothing left there now, and the walk is getting longer because I'm pretty sure they are stopping people parking at the end of Christmas creek road, you have to park at Stinson park apparently.