Aussie 1090/1190/1290 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozzieadventure, Jan 29, 2015.

1. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive been struggling with the same issue, there isnt a lot of real estate where they arent going to cause issue and big enough to be worthwhile , either from getting wiped out easily or in the way of taking things apart .
    Havent seen anything that appeals to me yet so Ive been living with just the LED headlight.
    The only option I reckon is a light bar but theres not much to mount to.
  2. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
  4. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    A light bar would have been my first choice, I, unfortunately, have the high guard on mine so it pretty well rules it out.
    I have a 6" Aurora on my 690 and it is very good.

I have a pair of these relative cheapies to try out.
    https://www.stedi.com.au/20w-cree-twin-spot-light.html

Going to try mounting them on a piece of acetyl rod under the front of the headlight. Putting them on either side but below the headlight whilst still missing my guard.
    Will reinforce the headlight housing with an aluminium plate and hold the rod with a single bolt so that the lights and rod will twist in a fall rather than ripping my headlight housing apart. Not sure whether or not the mount will be stiff enough with single bolt.
    May also have brace the housing back to the head stem to offset the extra load. This may be as simple as some stainless tie wire under tension back to the stem. Sounds a bit agricultural but should work. Just a bit of extra support for those big hits and potholes.

I'll see how it goes. A mate is machining the rod with some flats on it for me, hopefully tomorrow, apparently the pub was more important today. Can't blame him. Would have been there with him if I didn't have a cold.
  5. bigborett

Oddometer:
    P.S. Give the Aurora stuff a look. I have two of their light bars and very good quality and much cheaper, but not El'Cheapo.
    Supposedly made in the same factory as the rigid stuff. There was a little bit of a law suit between the two at one stage.
  6. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    The issue I have with the 1190 and a light bar is that it has no metal structure in the front end at all and adding that weight at the front is going to quickly fatigue all the plastics and fasteners around the front end without some kind of reinforcement.
    I was using a similar light bar on my 990 but its all aluminium and Im not keen on the idea on the 1190 and theoretically the guard could crash into it when bottomed out.
    There is of course the BDCW clamps that attach to the legs for a light bar but I have my doubts about the clearance issues.

@bigborett .Be interested to see what you come up with :thumb
  7. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Also, Nerb1 was working on some front end reinforcing brackets that might help.

Thought about attaching to the fork legs but we already have enough rubbish hanging of the bars, with GPS and phone along with other crap. Prefer to keep the steering as light as possible on the beast.
  8. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I attached the 6" Aurora light bar to the upper tank guard as below, good light for the price, saved my ass a few times in the dark as the standard headlight is crap..
    [​IMG]
  9. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couple interesting vids without the marketing bullshit.
    And some more reasons for me to keep the 1190 for a while.

and

10. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was the main reason Ive been considering the upper crash bars :-)
    The best place to mount stuff too.
  11. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah Nev, I don't have one.
    It was only when 1CB mentioned light bars that I recalled Rottweiler had a set up.
    Me, I don't ride in the dark, I'm either home or parked up at the pub by 4.30pm.:photog
    Toejamii likes this.
  12. bigborett

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Touratech ones if you're interested.
  13. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    JBI Pro valves have arrived :raindance
    Hope they are the silver bullet :ricky

[​IMG]
    bigborett, Wodger63 and nevgriff64 like this.
  14. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    They have landed last week and Ive just received it.
    This Goldentyre GT723 might just fit the bill.
    4 ply DOT tubeless 90/90-21 knobby.
    In case you might think its a cheap Chinese tyre, its actually Italian :thumb
    Looking forward to this.
    About time someone made a proper tubeless tyre for the 1190 :-)

[​IMG]
    Hopey likes this.
  15. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Good onya 1cb, waiting now for the test ride review..
    Mine is with the courier so should be here early next week but I won't get a chance to try it out till August...
  16. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should get a ride in before that mate and Im hoping its going to be just what Im looking for.
    Im expecting it to not be much good on the road but thats not what I want it for.
    If its acceptable on the road, I can live with that, if its awesome in the dirt and gravel thats what matters.
    Unlike the front TA which promised to be the holy grail and ended up rubbish! (IMHO)
  17. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Will be interested in this.

After running the TA's on my recent Tassie trip, which was probably 50/50 dirt and bitumen, I am looking for another front option.
    Whilst the tyres performed reasonably for what they are, I was disappointed with the fronts wear. After a couple of days we were hitting more dirt, tracks and granitic sandy roads, I dropped the pressures front and back. Now as we were on and off dirt and bitumen I wasn't upping and dropping pressures all the time, some may say lazy, I say no time for that shit all the time. The front has heal and toed terribly considering the k's. This was run at some fairly high speeds but shouldn't have worn this badly, I feel the M21's I was running would have copped better.

I will say that I think both tyres performed quite well on wet bitumen, surprisingly, you could get the rear to step out as you would expect but I think the front did quite well. Once we got on some roads that did not have moss on the centre and verge you could give it quite a run. I did however get a few two wheel slides on some of the more slippery clay and gravel roads.

I would be happier with a more aggressive front if the bloody thing will last.
  18. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any aussies that have come off and 1190R and onto the new 1090 or 1290R have comment on how much of an improvement the front end is?
    Im contemplating re-shimming my 1190R forks to the same spec as the new 2017 bikes to see what the fuss is about.
    Real or just marketing hype???

Even better, has anyone pulled one apart yet to have a look at the differences other than the spring?
    bigborett likes this.
  19. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Have you tried your new base valves yet 1CB?
  20. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Havent ridden it much yet.
    Just 40 k's around the block, not dirt to speak of.
    Need to get away for a day to see how it goes in the dirt.

The JBI website says these same base valves are compatible with the new 1090 and 1290 so Ive sent them a few questions relating to converting the 1190 to 1090/1290 spec.
    See what they say.

Surprisingly the mid-vale spec on the new models is surprisingly close to my last interation I had before the JBI's.