Aussie 1090/1190/1290 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozzieadventure, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    Sold my 1190R coupla months ago.. :cry

Will be the best bike I will have ever owned :nod

It was getting too big for my old bones - next ADV bike will be a DR or 690..or sumpting

The new 1290R looks berserk

2. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im sitting tight on the 1190R until the next gen 700-800's come out and re-assess then.
    Tomdog and nevgriff64 like this.
  3. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Sitting on my 1190r too but adding a 701 to the shed in a few weeks time for the tougher ADV stuff.
    Tomdog and Hopey like this.
  4. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Sitting on my 1190R as well - but only because no-one wants to buy the bloody thing. :lol3

Maybe I should advertise it if I really wanted to sell it? :eek7
    Hopey and bigborett like this.
  5. Briggsy_1

Briggsy_1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So after four years of owning an S10 I have just taken possession of a new 1090. This is the very first KTM I have owned and after coming back from its first proper ride today I love it.

I was not actually in the market for a new bike until 28 May when I put the big S10 on its head and wrote it off. Initially I had my heart on a new AT but after test riding one I found it uninspiring. This is just my opinion and I'm not having a crack at them. I just knew it wasn't the bike for me. Given I knew my next bike had to have a 21/18 wheel combo, switchable ABS and be around the 1000cc mark my choices were limited. That's when I had a look at the 1090.

As soon as I test rode it I knew this was it. It just felt right. So I bought one. Picked it up last weekend but unfortunately the first ride lasted 20 mins in the bush and the thing wouldn't start. Long story short I had to trailer the thing out and the dealer took it back and apparently the 'unlocking' sequence was not done properly at pre-delivery. Pretty annoying but its all good now.

After the ride today the things I like most about the bike are the suspension, the power delivery and the agility. The suspension is amazing out of the box. Got some good air off erosion mounds and it soaked it up with no bottoming out. I've got nothing to compare it to so I won't bother trying. The thing feels so light and agile...it was like a big trail bike. Anyway enough rambling. Can't wait to start with the farkling and get some ks on the beast.
  6. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Consider yourself lucky :D
    Wodger63, Dukehunt and nevgriff64 like this.
  7. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new beast :-)
    Briggsy_1 likes this.
  8. DR Steve

DR Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to echo Briggsy's comments. Really loving this bike.
    Accidentally spun it up to 7.5 K a few times and it really comes alive once the revs climb. Can't wait to get the first 1000 klms out of the way now !

Not sure I'm going to like working on it as much as riding it though. I thought I'd remove the rear carrier plate/grab handles to look at mounting my tail bag and one of the 4 bolts was seized into the aluminum sub frame. The other 3 tapped holes looked very ordinary - Chinese POS type of ordinary. I'll need to helicoil all 4 threads. I then decided to remove the rubber tops on the foot pegs and noticed a stainless nut on stainless stud with no evidence of any anti seize, so sprayed on a bit of lube and got the first one undone ok but the second one was seized in place and gallled the thread all the way off. As some one working in the engineering space daily I was less than impressed. Hope it's not a sign of things to come...

Not game to touch anything else I went for a ride and all was sort of forgiven.
    Speedo error seems to be in the order of 4 - 5%. Need more riding tomorrow to confirm.
  9. Briggsy_1

Briggsy_1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First things I swapped out were the pegs. Got some KTM rally pegs and they are awesome. Can stand all day on those puppies
  10. Rnwlcs

Rnwlcs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Busy day in the shed on the 1290SA
    Re-fitted wheels (shop fitted the tires, Pirelli Rally STR)
    SAS removal with plug
    O2 sensors removed with plugs
    Catalytic converter gutted
    Front guard raised an inch
    Think it must be beer o'clock

Attached Files:

11. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have dongles?
  12. Problem Child

Problem Child Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Front guard looks good. I'll have to give it a go :thumb
  13. Rnwlcs

Rnwlcs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the dongles were installed cancelling the error codes.
    Wodger63 likes this.
  14. YediKnight

YediKnight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a couple of dumb questions for ya! How did you gut the Cat? And how did you raise the front guard? These are things I'd like to do to my beast, but don't know where to start... :/

And while I'm at it, why did you remove the O2 sensors? What is that to improve?
  15. dirtsurfer

dirtsurfer Adventourer

Oddometer:
    Did you use aftermarket products for SAS and O2 sensors removal or did you make up the bits yourself?

I ordered an SAS removal from ZenOverland but still haven't decided on O2 sensor kit yet. The reason that I'm interested in doing these mods is because my bike hesitates at constant throttle
  16. Rnwlcs

Rnwlcs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The cat gutting job was done by brute force, after removing the header pipes I jammed some steel down the pipe and literally crushed and pulled the guts out.
    It is a fairly painful job but was a lot cheaper than the other alternatives. I think I spent a half a day to complete the task.
    I did wet it all down, as the cat material has some extras on it. It runs much cooler into the stock muffler now.
    The raising of the guard was a copy of the touratech version (it only raises the guard 15mm)
    Both the O2 and SAS kits came from ZenOverland.
    The O2 removal has gotten rid the hesitation going from no throttle to a small amount (the floating throttle position). It is noticeably smoother to ride around town at low speeds and is better out on the slow trails.
    I also thought while I had the tank off doing the SAS I might as well do the O2 sensor removal.
    Yes, I think it uses a little more fuel around town but out on the open road nothing has changed.
    dirtsurfer and YediKnight like this.
  17. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    I also need education... What is SAS removal and why the need to remove the O2 sensors ?
  18. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    SAS (secondary Air System) is really unneeded clutter and for emissions only.
    Its only purpose is to inject fresh air into the exhaust to heat the cats up more quickly and reduce emissions.
    It tends to leak air with often gives you the popping on decel and increased exhaust temps.
    This needs a dongle to fool the ECU that the solenoid is still in place.

The O2 sensors in the exhaust are primarily used for the "lean cruise", leaning AF ratios up to around 14.7:1.
    One problem often encountered is that they can create a "stumble or lag" at throttle on/off transition particularly around the 4000 rpm and can make things jerky.
    They can only be removed and replaced with a fixed value dongle (resistor) so the ECU always sees the same value.
    This has the side effect of richening things up a little in the lower revs.

Few other reasons but thats the main reason people remove them if jerkiness bothersome to them. I smooth things out slightly.

They DO NOT have to be removed, you can just use the dongle in the harness and leave the O2 sensors in situ to give the same result.
    Rnwlcs and Fearless Whetu like this.
  19. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Have you got a picture of one of these Dongles. 1CB? :-)
  20. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check your mail :lol3
    Which reminds me ......... :dirtdog