Aussie 1090/1190/1290 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozzieadventure, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wodger just how noisy are the standard Tractionators ? I'm approaching the end of the Tkc's and I've been resistant to the hype over these tyres but a couple of people have said they are good.

I'm also considering the E09 Dakar.
  2. DR Steve

DR Steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    A quick google suggests the OEM chain might actually me made for KTM by DID, so a 525 DID joiner may work. I have one but need to know the pin diameter of the stock chain to work out if it would fit.
  3. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    From all reports and info I can find its a CZ brand, # SDZ 525
    bigborett likes this.
  4. DR Steve

DR Steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fearless,
    I've got 1200 klms on the TA rear and it grips fine but if noise is a concern look elsewhere. I never really heard the TKC 80 but the TA rear is like a fourby with super swampers on it.
    Fearless Whetu, Dukehunt and Wodger63 like this.
  5. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    And thats nothing compared to the front TA.
    I had to get rid of that dog but the rear is tolerable for me, I always wear earplugs anyway.
    Fearless Whetu likes this.
  6. DR Steve

DR Steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too only ride with earplugs and the TA is still very audible, particularly around 60 - 90 klm/hr.

Just checked my 525 DID chain collection and none of them would work as the side plates are all thinner than on the KTM chain. I guess if you can find a 525 joiner with the same side plate thickness and pin diameter as OEM it should work ok.
  7. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rear TA does get better with age, the front just gets worse.
  8. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just open the throttle a little further and listen to the note.
    Forget the noise.
    Fearless Whetu and Dukehunt like this.
  9. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that why I took the baffle out :-)
  10. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. I did one day with the baffle in the Wings. Was out first thing in the morning.
    1coolbanana likes this.
  11. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sound good huh :-)
    bigborett likes this.
  12. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    Whats wrong with a genuine oem link for $25
  13. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    From where?
    I havent been able to find one.
    KTM dont sell them, or so they tell me!
  14. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    what year is yours?
    Ive bought them for the 990 and Boltons list one for 1090/1190/1290
  15. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez you blokes are up way past my bed time but here I am now at 5am.
    My thoughts/experience on the fish tail/stability thing.
    Since very early in my bikes life (I'm at 35K now) I ran with the OEM 118 link chain and a 44 T rear sprocket after a short play with a 16 T front which most agree accelerates the wear on the top chain slider.
    So with the first TA I tested, on the road instability set in at around 120kph, most notable when overtaking on the highway under acceleration.
    Off road the bike seemed to weave like I was always riding in deep gravel, down hills and under brakes the weave was more pronounced.
    @Fearless Whetu the TA's are loud, ok if your're only doing short transports but if your're like most of us doing long transports on the road, they're horrible.
    The front is the worse offender but I have in my possession a new Mk2 for testing, so I will be fitting that along with a new rear TA which will interesting as I will be running it with 17/45 T sprockets and 120 link chain.
    So back to stability, on Motoz GPS's with 44 T 118 link chain, bike was stable to around 170 kph (closed course of course:nod) at which point the bars would start to oscillate, as this is not a speed I usually ride, it was a non issue.
    I should add that Shinko 705's with the same setup were more stable at 170 + but I attribute that to a shallower and smaller gaps in the tread.
    So a few weeks ago, I fitted new chain, 120 links, new sprockets, 17/45 and new tyres, Karoo 3's.
    For all intents and purposes, not a bad tyre, bit noisy on the road but work all right off road, cranked it up to 170, bike is rock solid, I pushed on, might have reached 190 and the bike was solid all the way.
    So I'm thinking there might be a stability issue with the Motoz tyres, cross-ply verses radial.
    Now I just happened to a have pair of new Motoz GPS's in my shed with the rear being the new design tread pattern.
    So in the interest of unbiased testing I fitted them and went riding the rear is an improvement of the earlier design but what about stability?
    Well in closed course condition :nod the 1190 accelerated hard up to 200 kph totally stable all the way.
    As some of you might know, I bought a pair of 17/19 1090 wheels, with the 120 link chain, 17/45 T sprockets, they are also rock solid to speeds that are frowned upon by the local law enforcement.
    So I would suggest that if you're experiencing stability issues it's in your set up, providing headstock bearing are tight with your wheels true and round.
    Lastly, 1190's are heavy, there inclined to plow the front on soft surfaces which is not a stability issue, just physics.
  16. DR Steve

DR Steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great summary again there Wodger.

I don't have any instability to well above the speed limit on the road or dirt roads for that matter, it's only on loose surfaces when the rear is stepped out that it feels a bit strange.
    120 links with 17/44 is probably adding around 20 mm to the wheel base over 118 with 17/45. That should be noticeable.
  17. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont feel I have issues on the road either but I dont have a closed course to practice on :lol3
    Just the loose stuff over 110 that you have to start paying a lot more attention than you should because you can induce it to start fishtailing after hitting a bump.
    Anyway, Im about to chuck on a 120 link chain and see if that does the trick.

Funny, I dont have an issue with the rear Motoz TA with regards to noise and after a couple thousand k's it gets better.
    Even on the long haul transport, no issue for me, it does take 1000 k's to run in, shes a tough tyre!
    I always run them at 23 psi, maybe that has something to do with it..

Wodger, do you ever have a tyre on for more than 500 k's :lol3
  18. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, found it, thanks :thumb
  19. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure I do but if it's worn out at 500 k's I change it. :D
  20. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, they sound very average. I do often visit mates in the High country and theres enough noise on the free way with the screen haha !

SO what is a good alternative that is good offroad and not terrible on road ? I like the Karoo 3's and have used them before on the F800 but I don't think they will last long on the 1090. I know the E09s are good too but that's about all I've tried on the bigger bikes.

Oh lordy I cant' believe I am asking tyre questions... I'm so sorry.