1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Aussie 1090/1190/1290 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozzieadventure, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Onslo

Onslo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yers it looks the goods for protection. I called in to Deans this morning, not a solitary 1090 left! I assume it's your old 950 out front?
    Did you consider one of the 1190s? I'd be interested how you thought through the option of both bikes sitting there.
    I'm to and fro, the 1190 S might suit me best with more road oriented setup and lower height but I like the lighter and simpler electronics idea of the 1090. Pity I couldn't ride them back to back.
  2. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a 1190s bgeing wrecked anywhere in Oz? Need a LH switch block
  3. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Yep my 950,have to say I didn't consider the 1190 R or S, some criticise the 1090 for not have lean angle abs sensors to save them, but jeez you gotta live a little dangerously. Now I'm struggling over what muffler to get and luggage too, may go Andystrapz at $760 as it sees to be the narrowest, right bag is smaller and sits above the muffler, all others have frames out past the muffler.
  4. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    if you're mostly on road i'd take the horsepower every time all other things being equal.
  5. Toejamii

Toejamii Still Learning

Oddometer:
    Hey KTMGeoff , I have the Andy strapz bags on my 1190 r and both bags are the same size and the base of the bags run at an angle to match the angle of the exhaust , unless they have changed the design on the newer versions .
  6. Problem Child

Problem Child Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same on my 1290. There's the 2 options you can chose from: the 2 bags of the same size with the angle to match the exhaust rake is called the "Traveller Set" and the other with the larger left hand bag is called the "Asymetrical Set"
    https://www.andystrapz.com/product/ktm-1190-1290-options/ktm-1190-options-traveller-and-liner-deal
    Toejamii likes this.
  7. Onslo

Onslo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did.... Bit the 1190 bullet today.
  8. Onslo

Onslo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let us know what you decide. I have a set of soft panniers similar to Andys and a set of ally boxes ready to go. For Pipes, I think Arrows seem the go, I will watch what you fit with interest. I did an East Coast trip with you many years ago, I was on a beemer then. Nice to see you had the 950 so long.
  9. acnicoll

acnicoll n00b

Oddometer:
    AB0EA546-6325-40B9-BE6B-86080843597A.jpeg Hi, anyone had any problems with frame cracking fatigue? My 2016 1190R has done 22k of mainly dirt tracks. It has broken one of the mounting brackets welded to head stem that holds dash / headlight cluster. It’s had no accidents and still under warranty so I hope KTM come the party when they see it.
  10. NZSHAKER

NZSHAKER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pulled the pin on a 1190 r myself yesterday

Lovely bike now I have to watch so many youtube videos to learn how to remove everything to add the GPS uni filter pre filter kit. I have on order upper crash bars because my bikes seem to fall over alot, Rad guard, headlight guard and Rear pannier racks from adventure moto

Second hand with only 9000kms on the clock

Attached Files:

Onslo, Wodger63 and Dukehunt like this.
  11. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice.
    Don't know that I would worry about the upper bars. I had them then removed them. Very painful for servicing and didn't seem to make any difference in a fall.
    NZSHAKER likes this.
  12. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Anyone here riding a 1290 Super Adventure R 2017/18? Keen to hear of experiences with this bike as looking at upgrading the 1190 EDS I recently bought and buying one of these.
  13. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Wilmo as no one is commenting I put in my 2c.
    Back last year when I still had my 1190 R pre accident, I test rode both the 1090R and 1290R.
    I was a little worried that once I rode the 1290R I would want one.
    My observation was they all felt pretty much the same ergonomically, once moving the 1090 felt that bit more flickable and better balanced than the 1190.
    The 1290 felt more reluctant to change direction and heavier compared to both the 1090 and 1190, by no means was it not a nice bike to ride, just not something I would pay $28K for.
    Once I got back on my 1190, I realised I didn't need a new bike and went away happy but knowing that when the time came it would be a 1090 not a 1290.
    Well through a little misfortune the time to replace the 1190 came sooner than I planned, I now have a new 1090R in the shed, I have fitted the MC cruise a long with other equipment to make it more off road ready and I am a happy camper.
    My 1190 had the suspension upgraded and it felt very similar to the new 1090 and 1290.
    So the best advice would be try and get a test ride on both and see which one scratches your itch.
    For me the only thing the 1290 has over the 1090 is cruise control but that's easily sorted as your're well aware and it won't cost $28K
    oloukili likes this.
  14. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've ridden both the 1090 and 1290 as well and you are right, the Cruise control is a nice thing to have so lean towards 1290 for that. The lights are nice too, but I never ride at night. The TFT dash is pretty cool, but the problem is my close vision is shot (I'm 48 now) and I can't even read the bloody thing except the speed which is in big numbers without sunglasses with reader bi-focal embedded in them (which I don't normally wear and certainly won't off-road when I have googles on). The extra punch of the 1290 is nice, but if you ride it in Offroad mode they are both 100hp. The 1090 will be more fuel efficient than the 1290 so better for longer distances. I can buy a 1290 demo 2017 model for around the same price as the 1090 2018 new, but I'm beginning to realise the 1090 would probably serve my purposes better! I can just move the Cruise Control over to it too from the 1190 EDS - still a fine bike too actually so may just keep it and ride the bloody thing.
    DANNOj likes this.
  15. grb6372

grb6372 GRB6372

Oddometer:
    My personal observations. Purchased my 1090R late last year. I was somewhat sceptical about offroad performance compared to my well setup, & well abused 690R. I also wondered how onroad performance would compare to my aging but well loved 950SM. What a surprise. Onroad performance is exhilarating. Midrange grunt from say 3500 rpm in tall gears makes it a perfect slab touring machine. Generally 19klm/l , sometimes 20 klm/l. So 400 klm + per tank. About 4K per rear tyre so far. The weight and off road tyres means going super quick is risky. However, sensible medium pace is where it is best placed and a very enjoyable experience. At 57 years of age, this is a sensible pace. Casey Stoner I am not. A perimeter loop of Abercrombie National Park a few days ago really impressed me. I must stress, a very dry track. Abercrombie is a 4x4 track in the dry. Stupid in the wet. Anyway, what a surprise. Not overly technical but steep climbs with shale/granite rockery & clay type surfaces, plus the usual erosion mounds/bumps. Not enough rock to unsettle front end steering but amazing performance to grunt all the way up these mountain climbs. I checked the tacho and I was pulling from about 2500 to 3000 most of the time. 1st & 2nd gears. Sometimes 3rd. It was easy. On the ridge line sections I maintained a nice & happy medium pace following a DR650. 3rd,4th & 5th gears. This was where the 1090 was happiest. Ticked it up a few times and it really felt like my 525EXC. It is very fast. However, when a 120kg or 150kg machine gets out of shape, they invariably get back online and straighten up. The 230kg machine is somewhat different in self correction. For me quite scary. Note that I bottomed out the suspension a few times on erosion mounds too. Hint : Maintain medium pace unless you are Toby Price. Next hint : 230kg does need momentum to work properly. Go slow and you will be in trouble. Stopping half way up a mountain is a massive problem too. I repeat - 230kg. Observation : Traction control is your friend. Keeps the 130hp tracking a straight line. ABS is your friend also. Getting 230kg too hot into a corner is dangerous. Crank the brakes and let technology save your arse. It is better than you think. Next hint : No way would I do it in the wet. Stay at home, take a different route, or stay on the tar. The 1090R is a spectacular machine. Treat it with respect and you will love it. I am no longer a sceptic !!!
    Dukehunt likes this.
  16. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over in Orange Crush, there has been lots of discussion on fuel pump failure and blocked fuel filters.
    Some members are reporting early fuel pump failures and others won't leave home without a spare fuel pump or filters on an extended trip.
    My own experience with my 1190r was I had a trouble free run till 30K klms when I changed the fuel filters as part of my 30K service, I then did another 8K trouble free klms up until the accident.
    I never had reason to think that the fuel pump/filters would let me down and leave me stranded.
    I think there might have a been a couple of reports with the 2017 1X90's with tank contamination and filters replaced by the dealers but I can't recall anything in regards to pump failures.
    So I'm curious as to the experiences of others here in Australia with their fuel pump/filters.
    I only ever use premium fuel 95+, I have on the odd occasion ran 91 when there was nothing else available but I never used any ethanol fuel, E10 or otherwise.
    I understand that ethanol free fuel is not as readily available in the States as it is here in Australia, could this be a contributing factor?
    Target3 likes this.
  17. neilc

neilc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to my tire supplier to look at some new tires for my 1290SA and unfortunately they will not guarantee that they would not damage the inner sealing rings so went to my KTM dealer and they informed me that the seals are approximately $500 each wheel . The dealer dose guarantee they wont damage them so it dose limit were I perches tires from not that there is a problem with the dealer they are excellent just you get used to going some were and they have always given me excellent service and now I feel a little guilty . I think KTM could have implemented a fare better system for a tubeless tires then this .
  18. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bullshit, I just built a new set of tubeless wheels with new rim bands and they were about $80 each.
    Just look at the parts fiche for prices.
    Anybody with a machine and knows how to use it should not damage the rim band seal or TPMS sensor.
    If they do, they are stupid and careless.
    Also a dodgy dealer for telling you such rubbish.
    Ive been doing it by hand with levers for years and have never damaged a rim band.
    DirtJack, Dukehunt and Wodger63 like this.
  19. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out of three bikes that run the exact same setup 9XX, 1X90 (all the same)
    Ive only ever had one failure with a clogged filter.
    That was not really counted as that was caused by a dodgy Safari rubber gasket that dissolved in fuel and clogged the filter!.

Also, Im a big fan of the EFI purge module and have installed it on each and every big KTM that have the same setup.
    Never had a problem since.
    Aftermarket filters and O rings are cheap and I replace them about every 20k-25k klms as routine maintenance.
  20. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @neilc I have to agree with 1CB, changing tyres on KTM tubeless wheels is no big deal and there is no excuse for damage to the rim bands or TPMS.
    I've been changing my own tyres and others with my own tyre machine for the last couple of years, no problem.
    I also use to work in a motorcycle dealership years ago doing tyre changes and I can tell you first hand that there are much harder wheels to fit tyres to than KTM rims.
    Any dealer who won't warrant his work isn't worth dealing with, take your business else where.
    1coolbanana likes this.