Aussie 1090/1190/1290 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozzieadventure, Jan 29, 2015.

1. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have been talking to suspension are us who may have a solution using a Wilbers shock and transferring the eds stuff at hopefully a very reasonable price. They are doing some research for me.
    Wodger63 likes this.
  2. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    Need some advice for my mate fellas.
    Left his ignition overnight & flattened the battery, Charged it & the bike runs but now it has a shit load of error codes & modes doesn't work, ABS error & etc.
    I assume they just need cancelling.
    With my 800xc I just connected my laptop with tune ecu & cancelled them no problems.
    Can the same be done with the 1190r?
  3. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He could try disconnecting the battery overnight to restore the modes but the dealer is the only one that can clear the codes.
    PBee likes this.
  4. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Ummm, has anyone got OEM 1190 mirrors that they no longer want, and are happy to on-sell and ship to Nelson, NZ? Just need one, but a spare would be good.

I'd consider after-market but at this stage I'm happy enough with OEM.

TIA
  5. 4x4family1

4x4family1 P plater ;)

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg Just seeing if anyone has Andy straps pannier frames. I’ve just got them and the left side fits up spot on but the right doesn’t clear the exhaust and grab handle. I’ve tried to get a coulple of photos to show what I mean. Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

6. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasnt using the stock exhaust but I also spaced them out 20 mm so they would be a little more symmetrical.
    Was still close.

[​IMG]
  7. Toejamii

Toejamii Still Learning

Oddometer:
    I know this sounds strange but swap them around I had same trouble but had them on the wrong side :doh
    4x4family1 and a2zworks like this.
  8. 4x4family1

4x4family1 P plater ;)

Oddometer:
    I’ve had someone message me and I think I had them one hole to far backwards. Looks good with that exhaust :)
    1coolbanana likes this.
  9. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Did you ever get the rear shock sorted with a Wilbers rebuild?
  10. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    WilmO, Yes I did. Suspension R us supplied a new wilburs and I sent my old shock to them. They removed all the electronics and refitted to the new shock which was set up with the correct spring for my weight etc. I am very happy with it. Rides a little firmer than standard, but handles much better.

All the electronics etc work as std.

Cost was about $900 all up.

Can recommend
    Wodger63 likes this.
  11. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    i dont know if ktm logic is the same as triumphs with fault codes pbee, but as you might know on the tigers various fault codes will disappear after a certain number of normal start up and shut down cycles if the fault causing the code no longer exists. some are 10, others more all depending which code it is.

if ktm is the same, your mate might have some luck just by riding it for a bit, get enough cycles out of the way and see what happens before dropping the $$$ at a dealer.

just a thought.

edit: i have the ktm repair manual (cd rom) on its way from ktm twins, due any day now. if i find anything useful on it i'll post it up.
    PBee likes this.
  12. RustyAs

RustyAs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I'm on the right track here but.......

2017 KTM 1290 S has factory hard pannier set up, which is fantastic for hiway use.

What I'd like is a set of soft panniers I can use without a frame. Honestly at this point I will do less than 5% serious off road but still don't want to risk damaging the hard panniers when I go camping off road
    Woggy_G, 4x4family1 and Hopey like this.
  13. Rus

Rus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Woggy_G

Woggy_G ADV Noob

Oddometer:

I'm looking for the same. just a quick weekend getaway.
    Any good suggestions for a tail pack fr the 1190 adv S
  15. RustyAs

RustyAs Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. neilc

neilc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopey likes this.
  17. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    ... 'cept for the loose nut holding the handlebars.
  18. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Lucky to find a dealer willing to offer you more money for the trade-in than the BMW was worth...I said worth, not cost. :lol3
    Dukehunt likes this.
  19. neilc

neilc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sense a little hostility here let me point out a couple of things
    This was my 4 KTM road bike the rest were a 950SM and 2 990 SMT the last SMT was a 2013 model and was probably the most exiting bike I have ever owned and with some passenger seat mods it was an acceptable towering bike and I regret selling it every day . I have also owned 7 BMW 1 I hated the rest were all excellent and 100% reliable . So the 1290SA I thought this bike would be not to unlike the 990 bikes but with CC more fuel range and comfort for 2.
    I was very wrong yes the fuel range was excellent but all the rest was not
    The CC was so bade as to be dangers
    The seats were just plain painful
    The heat of the engine even in 25 degree rides almost unbearable even with after market heat shields
    The suspension was excellent except for the fork seals leaking twice at only 14000Ks and not covered under warranty ( this kike never went of sealed roads )
    And then there is the engine massive power but all to fare up the rev rang even though it was at 4000 RPM at 100 KPH in 6 it was not happy to the point that the VIC KTM state manager suggested you should ride in 5 Th until you get to 130 KPH I did remind him we were in the naner stat of VIC
    I had the pleasure of riding a friends 2006 990 Duke a couple of weeks ago apart for the 990 love of petrol it is a much nice motor then the 1290 it is more flexible it feels alive its fun to ride
    There are other things that could have been better on the 1290SA it was very difficult to oil the inside of the chain as it sits to close to the swing it takes fare to much effort to get the bike on the center stand especially when fully fueled and do not tell me it is a heave bike my Yamaha S10 was much easier, the tyre valve were difficult to get onto and the tyres constantly needed air and then there are those rubber bands to seal the spokes that have a limited life span none of these things were a problem on the 990 bikes and they were 70KG lighter .
    And then there is the resale value I do feel sorry for people that paid the original price of $28000 that KTM are now offloading for $19000 and second hand most dealers are offering around $10000 YES I solved all these problems as I am the proud owner of a of a low Ks 3 year old BMW R1200RS . If I had money to spear and could find a mint condition 2013 model SMT I would have it just for fun and try to find some roads with no Policemen but alas all 3 are not available.
  20. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    I think your taking a little bit of good humored ribbing too seriously.
    I hope you enjoy your BMW (bring my wallet) as opposed to your KTM (keep taking money).:-)
    Hopey and Toejamii like this.